“Costa Rica's hidden gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Shelter from the Storm
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Darrly and Donna were fabulous hosts, but three days was too short! Stay in the Monkey Room! Every detail is taken care of in the secluded location. It is only a 5 minute ride to Dominical and many great restaurants. We loved visiting the beaches, eating at Exotica and just relaxing. We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Hello, I visited Costa Rica for the first time and was fortunate enough to stay at SFTS. It is a lovely, wonderful, majestic location. You wake up to the birds every morning and the beautiful sun rise over the ocean and mountains! The accommodations are just as they appear on the webiste; clean, spacious, comforting and enjoyable. The host and hostess were wonderful and very helpful at all times. The day I left, there was a lost young male sloth at our door step! We helped him back to a substantial tree by the parking area and off he went...wow! Do be aware of the "hiking" trips with Alvin, they are seriously challenging. We needed rope to repel down/up the sides of the mountains! You won't regret one minute at SFTS and the surrounding area. I went zip lining/white water rafting/saw the whale's tale all within a 15 min drive. I was also able to relax and enjoy the pool! Definitely check it out.
Audrey, Nov 2012

Room Tip: There are only good rooms at SFTS
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Do you want relaxation, adventure, exotic and beautiful surroundings, excellent accomodations, circus style popcorn??? The only place in Costa Rica for all of this is Shelter from the storm!!! We had a blast and Donna and Daryl went way beyond the call of duty to ensure we had a fabulous time. We can not imagine having a more incredible 25th Anniversary and my husband's 60th Birthday! D & D we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: La Cuesta and Los Rocas Abajo we both incredible
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kim e
Reviewed September 18, 2012

What an adventure!! SFTS was the perfect place for us to stay. Daryl and Donna are great. We loved our daily visits from Ricky. The place is kept immaculate. The Monkey House was perfect. We had howler monkeys outside our window one day. What a treat! You really don't need to bring much. Daryl and Donna handled everything! Blanca kept our room clean and gave us fresh towels and linens a few times. Alvin maintains the gardens so well...despite the monkey's best efforts. The rancho is so comfortable and the pool is clean and refreshing. Daryl and Donna will help you find the best restaurants. We used the grill one night and that was lovely. The grill was so clean!! You won't regret going to SFTS. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We showed up unannounced in the late afternoon and caught Daryl completely off guard (and without Donna!), but he graciously made up the Monkey House for us himself and profusely apologized for any of the Donna-details he might have missed. I can assure you that he did a wonderful job and we fell in love with the place immediately. We were travelling with our 8 month old baby and Daryl helped us slug all of the baby gear up the spiral staircase so that I could tend to the baby. He helped us settle in with some welcome Margaritas and was fantastic company! He was lovely with our baby and even found her a pool toy that was just her size! Donna thought of every detail we could have needed, before we did and was very helpful with everything we asked her about. We enjoyed the pool so much that we spent almost all of our time in it and the monkey party outside of our window early one morning was such an exciting bonus that I won't ever forget it! We only had 3 nights to spend in the area and we are so glad we spent them at Shelter From the Storm because it was exactly the relaxing time we were looking for!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I will admit I had no idea what to expect when my flight landed in San Jose but boy was i amazed when i Got to Shelter From The Storm. No words can truly describe just how beautiful this place is. Seemingly every little detail has been thought of to make your stay as relaxing, memorable, and enjoyable as it can possible be. I was amazed by how much character the room had. I stayed in Las Rocas Arriba and it was flawless. A beautiful and very large porch to eat, drink, and relax on. Fully equipped with a huge shade that you can put up or down however you choose (we kept it up during the day to let the ocean breeze come in and down at night as it may rain.) The wood work throughout was beautiful and you simply cannot beat sleeping to the sound of the waves just down the mountain. Best of all was waking up every morning and looking to the left out the patio doors to the most beautiful sight of the pacific and mountains. Wifi was available everywhere on the property which was nice to check your emails and such. Costa rica is an amazing place and SFTS is in a perfect location with everything and anything you could want or need close by. Don Lulo's horseback trip to the falls is a must and zip lining at osa mountain was great as well. All of which Donna and Daryl will arrange for you, all you have to do is say the word. Costa Rica has many amazing people and Donna and Daryl are no exception. I have been a lot of places in my life and nothing compares to the week I spent at Shelter From The Storm. I cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to see all the rooms on the property since we were the only ones staying there at...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cary C
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Costa Rica is Heaven. Shelter from the Storm was the perfect place to stay. The accommodations in the Monkey House were exactly what we desired. Daryl and Donna were terrific in helping us arrange our daily excursions. We had a delightful time horseback riding, snorkeling, ziplining and walking the beach. It was an adventure I will always hold dear to me. I have fallen in love with adventure and the country of Costa Rica.... Thank you Daryl and Donna

Pura Vida