“Only 50 more weeks until we can go back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bella Vista Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Bella Vista Lodge
“Only 50 more weeks until we can go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

This lodge is simplicity at its best! While recently spending a week at the Bella Vista Lodge our family was able to enjoy quality time together in what we believe to be the most beautiful spot in the southern Pacific region. The pacific ocean view from this tucked away mountain lodge is absolutely breathtaking! Immediately upon arrival we knew we had picked the perfect spot to relax from our everyday hustle and bustle.
Bert, the manager, is eager to accommodate, however, it doesn't take much to have a good time at this spot. While enjoying the view from the huge wrap around porch there are numerous birds to watch and from time to time the monkeys appear down below. The hammocks are a great spot to kick back and absorb the beauty of it all.
Bert hooked us up with a nearby Tico family who took us on a fabulous horseback adventure through the forest to a spectacular waterfall. The family cooked us an authentic Tico breakfast and lunch and provided great company. We had so much fun the kids begged to take a second tour later in the week - which we did.
Speaking of food, we were served gallo pinto and eggs for breakfast upon request in addition to fresh fruit smoothies for the kids. Thanks Bryan! (Bert's helper - and also a great help with surf lessons :)
Bert is a fabulous cook, and we ate a variety of delicious meals comprised of locally harvested seafood complimented with fresh fruits and vegetables.
The rooms are simple and comfortable - perfectly decorated for the location. The nightly breezes provided absolutely no need for air conditioning, but rather a blanket!
The location of this spot is isolated yet close enough to several fun adventures when you may want to explore.
And who needs a fitness center when there are winding mountain roads to walk early in the morning while enjoying the fresh air and amazing landscape!
There were plenty of board games and cards for some fun on a few of the rainy evenings.
Bella Vista Lodge is definitely the place to unwind and enjoy Costa Rica!
A quote from dad - "Only 50 more weeks till we can go back".
Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Bert is the owner, but names I like to call him are: "the dude" (big labowski), dos equis guy, and Wolfgang Puck for all of these names suit with very well. I really enjoyed my stay at his lodge, as first was planning for one night, and ended up staying for four. I had a lot of fun playing with his two dogs (ridgeback and husky) along with his two kitties. The sounds of the howler monkeys were a great way to realize that I was actually in the jungle, although many times I felt like I was at a spa. Why you ask? Well the room I stayed in had beutiful flowing white drapes that danced with the breeze the flowed threw the room, the 140 degree (mas ou minus) was very hard to stop gazing off into, and the soaps that "the dude" provides and absolutely decadent, I mean the shampoo smelt like I was washing my hair with orange juice, leaving it feeling like silk, and the soap (which he has many varities of) took away any remaining stress that may have been lingering on my shoulders. I enjoyed the soap so much that I had to buy some for the road so I could continue my travels with thesame heavenly feeling as I had when in Dominical. Now there is a kitchen available, but if you are lucky, you might be able to smoosh with Bert, butter him up with some gifts of beer or rum and have him make one of his muy rico dishes he makes! Ask him about his eggplant parmesange. The only thing I would have to give a headsup about is make sure you have your own ride (4x4) or are patient, for "the dude" does head into town from time to time, but he is not a shuttle. I enjoyed this place so much that I ended up making Bert a gemtree as gratitude for such a great time. You might even see it sitting at his bar once you head up there. Thanks for the great time Bert, and I think I may just end up coming back for a visit in Aug, that is if you aren't fully booked that is. PURA VIDA!!!

Room Tip: ask about the honeymoon suite!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Imagine looking out from your lodging and seeing the Pacific hit the rocks on shore. The mountain air is refreshing and exotic flowers and plants will enchant you. The rustic lodging is clean, airy, beautifully appointed. The grounds are an oasis between the jungle behind and the jungle between the lodge and the ocean. You will awaken to the sounds of holer monkeys in the jungle and see the occasional toucan fly by. I loved every minute of the two weeks I spent there and plan to go back as often as I can.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Tranquility34210
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

The Bella Vista Lodge is truly a gem. I recently took my first trip to Costa Rica and found "Paradise". The town of Dominical is such a diverse and simple community. Hidden in the lush jungle coastline sits some of the best surf, local craftsmen, food, lodging, and timeless entertainment anyone could hope for. Traveling off the coastal highway, unbelievable it did not exist as a paved road until about two years ago, the 4x4 trek up to the BellaVista is a rewarding adventure in it's self. Fifteen hundred feet or so above the coast, on a remote type clearing among the true mountain jungle, lies a luxury most would give up all material concerns for. The dark wood stained cabins blend beautifully into a view that will blow your mind. Each room equipped with on demand shower, ceiling fan, and screen only windows are the insignificant amenities that just create comfort. White cotton drapes align the bamboo rods to the floor, cool mountain breeze just blows through each room as if you're watching a "Corona" commercial. The quiet is library-esque, until you realize the howler monkeys, toucans and thousands of species of jungle wildlife are completely surrounding you. The view is astounding! Weather, sunrise, sunset, and sea swell are all as visible as can be, stretching three hundred sixty degrees one can only be impressed. Lets not forget Bert Woodson and his trusty Rodesian Ridgeback "Colt". This combination of chef, bartender, tour manager, entertainer, and all out genuine nice guy, along with the coolest dog i have ever met, could only host a lodge like this. If youre looking for burger king and air conditioning, there are other places for you! If you want to truly unwind and forget your schedule, bills, traffic and waste.... this is the place! Eco-friendly, beautiful, calm, wild, adventure!!!! Take a horseback ride through the jungle to the coolest waterfall, with the most genuine local guide, who will feed you the freshest local fare, breakfast and lunch. Zip line above the canopy, surf, hike, film, escape. All provided at a cost effective, eco smart, valuless rate. The worst part about this place is leaving, then maybe developing the photos that only remind you of how outrageous your thought process is for actually leaving that paradise. I suppose the toucan siren that may wake you with the sunset could be a mark against your morning routine, but..... it allows one to take in colors you may have never seen once your eyes open. Sunrise is early close to the equator, nature wants you up to witness the glory this lodge offers. Who could blame her? Besides, eat a fresh mango, papaya, pineapple, or coconut.... maybe have a beer or some fresh ceviche, and take a nap, anywhere you like. It's Costa Rica, youre on "Tico" time and thats all that matters! P.s. I was lucky enough to be the first guest of the Bella Vista, this place is only going to get better! There are improvements going on daily, that also support only local tradesmen and their families, who will also treat you like their own. Thank you Bert, i'll be back real soon! James

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

My wife and I and two teenager kids stayed here in 2003 and my son, now 21, and I went back in June 2011 because we had such a great experience the first time. The lodge is owned by the legendary Woody Dyer and operated by Bert Woodson. It is located on a bench above Punta Dominical. The road up is a little rough. You need 4-wheel drive but the trip is worth it. The lodge is clean, the woodwork is beautiful and the breeze is refreshing. The view of the coast from Quepos to Panama is spectacular and the colors of sky and ocean are ever changing. The horseback ride to Nayauca falls is not to be missed

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Our trip to the Bella Vista lodge was wonderful! The lodge is charming, the rooms are elegant and comfortable, and our host, Bert, was fabulous. We savored great food and drink on the veranda as we enjoyed incredible views of the blue pacific. We were looking for quiet elegance & we found it at Bella Vista. The horseback trip to the waterfall is a must! Bert and his Bella Vista Lodge made our trip to Dominical perfect. We would recommend The Bella Vista Lodge to anyone wanting a beautiful, elegant, and quiet place to vacation. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Contact Bert - he'll take care of you!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
Roca Verde
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
Hacienda Baru
Hacienda Baru
#1 of 28 in Dominical

Been to Bella Vista Lodge? Share your experiences!