Roca Verde
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$110
Villas Rio Mar(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$92
$74
Villas Alturas(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$157
$148
Hotels.com
Hotel Cuna del Angel(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$105
$99
Waterfall Villas(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$139
$136
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Albergue Alma de Hatillo(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$75
  • Breakfast included
Rio Lindo Resort(Dominical)(Great Value!)
$60
Hotel Diuwak(Dominical)
$58
$56
All reviewscosta ricaper nighthigh tideopen airthe air conditioningcevicheview of the oceanmichaelownerwavesdogsrocks
Reviewed September 10, 2008

After staying a night at Hacienda Baru (3 km from the heart of Dominical), which was totally not for us, we took a taxi into Dominical to search for a hotel that was a little more accessible to the beach. We went to a few that we strongly considered and even made reservations for, but I remembered coming across Roca Verde on Trip Advisor and remembered that it had NO BAD REVIEWS. And let me tell you, there is a reason there are no bad reviews! This place is AWESOME!

After making reservations at a place in the heart of Dominical, I suggested we at least stop by Roca Verde to check it out. It was about a kilometer down the road, but I remembered it was right on the beach (very private), which was a HUGE plus for us. After we took one look at the pool with it's lights on, we knew it was the place for us. And after we asked Frank (one of the owners), "what time does the pool close?" and he responded with, "As long as the lights are working!" we immediately booked our stay. The fact that the rooms were super clean and nice and had air conditioning definitely helped as well!

We were there 5 nights, but we wished we would have stayed all of our 13 days there (maybe with the exception of visiting in Monctezuma for a couple of days). The outdoor bar and restaurant is so very beachy and delicious! (Try the ceviche and the best french fries you'll ever eat!) At night, they light candles and you can hear the waves crash in over the soothing beach house music.

The only concern for us was the fact that we thought we would be too far from town...not true. We simply walked down the sandy beach into Dominical everyday with no problems at all.

Now for the Saturday night party! It is so awesome. Yes, very loud, but so much fun! As everyone else has said on here, people come from near and far for this weekly party and it is so worth it. On Saturday afternoon, you see a big truck pull up and they start unloading speakers! At about 9:00 they started the music and we opened our sliding glass doors to listen to the music while we got ready (they played some really good stuff)! We partied til they shut the place down and we never felt so safe. They hire security guards to watch the rooms, restrict certain areas and keep control over the crowd.

Now for Frank and Mike and their wonderful staff and family! They are such nice people and will truly make your stay so comfortable. We feel as if we made some good friends while we were there and strongly recommend this place to anyone visiting Dominical. You won't regret it!

We are going back around New Years and we can't wait! Pura Vida!

Steph & Fred

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steph7Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Frank Witte is the proprietor of this seaside hotel and bar and is also one of the most pleasant and honest persons I have had the pleasure of meeting in recent years. Dominical is truly a beach town, much more isolated than Manuel Antonio, and less touristy. Roca Verde is known for its Saturday night dance parties, when hipsters from all along the coast and San Jose too journey down for the weekend to get jiggy with the Roca Verde vibe.

For my family and I, we only had the pleasure of staying one night. The first room that Frank checked us into had an a/c issue, which becomes more important as you move toward the southern parts of Costa Rica and toward sea level. Frank moved us to a new room without blinking an eye. The rooms were clean and comfortable, decorated with some Costa Rican freehand painting.

When I lost my camera (and didn't realize it until my return to the US thinking my wife had packed it - see my review of Hotel Byblos in Manuel Antonio), I wasn't sure if I had left it at Roca Verde, the previous hotel or in the rental car. I contacted Frank and he scoured the place, searching every room of the dozen or so at Roca Verde, the bar area etc. He even interviewed their maid of several years just in case. Turned out that I had left it at the previous hotel, but Frank was as helpful as a brother in searching for it.

Great location, nice property, honest and hard working staff. What else can you ask for?

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank TommyBoy2004
Reviewed November 23, 2007

We stayed at the Roca Verde in Sep of 2004 and absolutely loved it. There rooms were spacious and clean and the location was phantastic. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a covered outdoor restaurant and bar there which had reasonable prices. The hotel is next the the nicest part of the beach. The Beach is good for playing in shallow water or for serious surfers. There surf was pretty big while we were there and the riptide was very strong. For a good swim head to the nearby Marino Ballena park which is excellet for swimming and just relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Weltreisender77
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Ok so I actually did not stay at this hotel, but the owner of the place saved part of my vacation last year. We were traveling around new years and couldn't find a place to stay. At about 9 pm we pull into the Roca Verde - they were full. Despite the fact that we were't staying there the owner took us into his office and began calling all over the area to find a room for us. He found us an awesome place to stay ~15 minutes down the road. He was so nice, and turned a really bad evening into a great one. I would definitely stay at the Roca Verde if I return to Costa Rica!

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank Jody T
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Our family including 4 children stayed at RV in March. It was our fifth trip to Domincal/Quepos. They arranged private surf lessons (with Ray, a local surf instructor) on their own private beach which is great beginner and intermediate surf, the food is great and very reasonabley priced. They even turned down the Saturday night disco a bit for us. It was still loud, but you can't blame them from having the disco. It's known for 100s of km around to be the best. A great spot to see all points south.

Stayed: March 2007