“Beautiful place, service and information needs to improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Roca Verde

Roca Verde
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Geneva, Switzerland
“Beautiful place, service and information needs to improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Roca Verde property is great, and the location is amazing - you get a beautiful almost private beach with it. Domincal is about 1km (careful, on google maps it shows as being in the village), it's better to have a car, without one you can either walk on the beach which is nice during the day (only possible during low tide though) but not sure how safe during the night or walk along the highway which is also a bit scary.

The staff is nice once you get know them a bit, we stayed there 4 nights and they warmed up a bit after 2-3 days. Service is really slow though, it takes 20 minutes in the morning to get a juice and then another 20 minutes to get a toast with jam, so if you have early plans for the day, it's better to skip breakfast. Upon arrival, there was no information provided at all (breakfast/restaurant hours, whether it's safe to swim, how to get to the village etc), for everything you have to ask and it feels a bit as if you are bothering, though I am sure that's not intentional.

It would have been easy to point out in correspondence over email before our arrival that credit card payment is not possible (the only place in Costa Rica in a price range over 100US/night that we saw that doesn't accept credit cards), though the owner was flexible and gave us all the time needed to get to a bank.

The place has really great potential, with a bit more efforts from the staff and owner it could be a true gem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Staying a mansion just above Roca so we frequently came down the hill for drinks and to access the beach from them. The location can't be beat. Dominican is very tiny and more rustic then other touristy areas. The bar and welcome area were open air and clean enough considering that. The beach and access to it were outstanding. Not for people who cant walk a bit though, as you do walk over some little wooden planks for bridges and step over foliage to get to the breathtaking ocean. Not a difficult walk by any means, just not for anyone with a disability. I cant speak for the rooms as we did not stay at Roca Verde but the staff was very nice and welcoming when we came down the hill to visit. Based on that and the condition of the building and cleanliness, I would have chosen to stay there if went back and were looking for a more relaxed basic lodging.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank RoadTipper
San Francisco Bay Area, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Rooms are pretty good; basic but nice enough and very clean. There's a very pleasant pool.

Restaurant has decent food, but is expensive. It takes an eternity for meals to arrive and service is pretty poor. There are better choices for food a short walk up the beach.

My stay was marred by a perplexing misunderstanding of my arrival date, which resulted in me sleeping on the floor of the outdoor restaurant/lobby the night of my arrival. The owner didn't seem to concerned about this, though since I was also paying for two rooms for my colleagues, I would have thought he would have bent over backwards to ensure my satisfaction. I see other reviewers speak kindly of the owner, so perhaps my experience was not representative.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here with my two best friends and it was great!!!! Great value and Mike, the owner, was a great guy and very helpful. He set us up with a friend of his, Allen, who showed us alot of the local sites that the typical tourist would never see!! The staff was extremely helpful and very accommodating. I will definately be staying here upon my return!!!!! Pura Vida!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MickyLay
Del Mar, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed there twice last week while transiting to/from the OSA Penn. Can only echo the superlative prior few comments. This is absolutely a good value and the place to enjoy your stay in the area. The highlight of my vacation was experiencing a (for me) massive thunderstorm from the beautiful lobby/bar/restaurant.

For you dog lovers, his two Goldens were friendly and warm greeters.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have a home in Costa Rica and have been coming to Dominical for years for day trips. When we needed to spend the night this year, we pulled into Roca Verde and were so glad we made this choice. Michael is the owner-operator and is genuinely nice and helpful. what we like best is the true beach front. many hotels say they are "on the beach" but you can't walk there easily or the rocks prevent swimming. If you want to walk to the beach, swim in a protected cove with nice waves, walk up and down the beach for miles - this is one of the few places to d
eliver.
the pool and lovely tiled showers make it easy to transition from beach to pool and back. The decorations are original and we like the whole atmosphere. There is a huge room upstairs for yoga, too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobandpat757
Stockbridge, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

When we arrived, we were shown by the owner to an upstairs room (simple, but cool and clean). When my spouse succumbed to heat exhaustion, and Michael (the owner) drove me to the store for supplies; and then the next day he took us to the bus station to help us continue our journey, and then took us to see some point of local interest. The breakfast here is superb (we had the tipico) and gracious plenty. If you're sitting in the dining room you can almost feel the sea mist as the tide comes in -- it is a few yards walk to be on the beach proper where you can walk 10 minutes to the center of town. On our last day, they treated us to fresh patacones, and then drove us to the bus stop. I can't thank Michael and Antonio (the dining room manager) enough for their kindnesses.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor - the balconies get great wi-fi reception.