“Will stay here again”
Review of Costa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Costa Paraiso
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Calgary
“Will stay here again”
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Flew in to Quepos with some friends and spent 7 days in and around Costa Paraiso and Dominical. This place is a hidden gem. The ocean is 50 feet in front of you and about 2 kms of beach about 600 feet to the left (no surfing though that is about 5 mins drive south if you are a noob or 2 minutes north if you are "good"). Highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Surfside, Florida
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We spent four days at Costa Paraiso and just loved the tranquil simplicity of this 5 unit paradise that is contrasted by a rugged, explosive coastline. Situated just steps away from the crashing waves, a short three minute walk took us to the beautiful Dominicalitos beach. Jennifer, the resident “do it all”, was very pleasant and helpful with any request we had. She made us feel like we were old friends.

We stayed in the Dolphin Lodge which offered a kitchenette. The room was clean and comfortable, even for the four of us. I strongly suggest having a rental car if you stay at Costa Paraiso since there isn’t much around within an easy walking distance. Costa Paraiso is the perfect place to relax without any distractions, including a phone or TV. We will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dubrovnik
Reviewed September 22, 2009

After much research, I chose this location (over Coconut Grove; just 2 mins further south on same beach) because I specfically wanted to be near the water and have an uninterrupted view of the ocean from my room. In that respect, our room (called Toucan Nest) delivered the goods.

However, I was somewhat dissatisfied with my experience at this hotel - due mainly to my preconceived notions of what it would be like. So, depending on what you are looking for, this could either be a real great find... or a little more inconvenient than you bargained for. Let me explain...

We did not have our own transportation and were staying in the Dominical area for only 3 nights. We were busy during the day exploring the region, so we didn't return to the hotel until evening (note: sunsets are early here - it's dark by 6:00pm). In hindsight, I really wish we had an extra day just to hang out at the hotel, laze the day away in one of the hammocks, watch the surf go in/out and catch a spectacular sunset (for which this hotel is perfectly situated).

I mention all this because if you plan to be in Dominical for only a few days - and especially if you don't have your own transportation - I'd say you are much better off considering the convenience of staying in town.

I thought this hotel would be a little closer to Dominical than it actually is and that you could get there by walking along the beach (you can't). The first part (just north of the hotel) is unaccessable (has rocks/cliffs), so you have to walk along the main road. After about 15 mins - past Villa Roca Verde - we cut through a villa complex still under development, climbed through a fence & crossed a small stream to access the end of the spectacular beach that continues uninterrupted all the way to Dominical townsite. (Perhaps there was an easier access point to the beach a little further down the road...? I wouldn't know). All this to say, it ended up being a 45min sweaty adventure just to get to town (note: it's REALLY humid in Costa Rica - be prepared to sweat!).

Another important point to keep in mind when considering this hotel is that there is NOTHING to do at the hotel once the day is over. Yes, there are a few lovely covered porch/patio areas to sit & read, but that's about it. There is no TV in the room. There is also no bar/shop/restaurant (either on-site or nearby) to get something to snack/drink/have dinner. So, if you haven't stocked up your fridge with any goodies, it may suddenly feel a little "too remote" for your liking. Of course, you could arrange for a taxi to pick you up to go back to Dominical - but all of this requires a little effort.

So - depending on your circumstances - you may perceive this hotel very differently.

I would recommend this hotel only if you were I] specifically looking for something remote/away from the tourist scene; II] using this as a base to explore the area and had extra time to just chill out at the hotel and enjoy the incredible beach surroundings (our trip did not allow for that) & III] prepared to buy some food/drink in advance so that your kitchenette was stocked for those quiet evenings or breakfast in the morning (note: breakfast is not include nor offered at hotel). Having your own transportation - while not essential - certainly would help as there really is nothing nearby within easy walking distance.

Even though we were here in the off-season (and received a discounted rate for the room), I do also have to question the cost of this hotel -- it really is pricey for what you get (or don't get). You can *easily* find accommodation in the town of Dominical for considerably less. True - you won't be right on the beach and enjoy a killer view from your front porch, but in hindsight, I would have traded that for the convenience of being closer to the town for eating/bar options once it got dark. Again - if you have your own wheels, this becomes a non-issue.

As for Dominical, I expected it to be more developed than it was. It really has an under-developed, surfer dude Tico beachtown vibe (which I wanted to experience). However, if you are not staying directly in the town long enough to enjoy this, it will probably feel too slow/boring if you're just passing through. Plus I thought the beach would be a little cleaner/more "user-friendly" (great for surfing, but no establishments directly on the beach to buy a drink/watch a sunset, etc.).

In contrast, Manuel Antonio - while definitely much more developed than Dominical - was still nowhere near as developed as I had expected/dreaded. And so my experience there was much, much better (in fact, the vibe I got from M.A. was what I originally expected to get from Dominical). And much to my surprise, for the SAME price as Dominical, our hotel there (Villa Roca) had a too-die-for infinity pool overlooking the ocean with a choice of restaurants within 5 mins walking distance and easy transportation options (bus/taxi) to either Quepos town or the beachfront by Manuel Antonio Park. For me, that worked my travel buzz much better... so again, it all depends on what type of experience you're looking for.

To recap: if you are looking for a beautiful, but remote/under-developed area from which to explore this Pacific region of Costa Rica, this is an excellent choice. If you want to be within easy walking distance of restaurants & Dominical town life, this will probably be a little too far out and you'd be better off finding something closer to town (or consider staying in Manual Antonio).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BuzzTraveller1967
East Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2009

The location is priceless which makes the rate at Costa Paraiso a bargain. Dominical is remote enough to keep the big crowds away, but large enough to have plenty of restaurants, a few of which are truly excellent. But 'progress' is coming. Even the last 40 kilometers of dirt road and one lane bridges are disappearing. The staff at Costa Paraiso treat you like visiting family. They take care of you and make you feel at home at the same time. During the six days we were there the family next door to us brought back a load of fish they had caught that day and the CP staff cooked them up and invited all the guests to the party.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed September 6, 2009

If you're looking for a simple, cabina style place with the Pacific ocean just outside, this is the place. My husband and I stayed here 10 days and found it very relaxing. The setting is beautiful, with birds, iguanas, and tropical plants. There is a deserted beach just south where we walked each morning. This is NOT a fancy resort, if you stay here you are staying for the peaceful location, the chance to really relax. If you want luxury then you won't be happy here, but if it's a tropical experience with a secure (night guard) and relaxed place to stay, you'll be happy. You do have to leave to get food, but we just bought breakfast/lunch stuff at the market and then went out to dinner. We went on tours both south (Osa Peninsula) and north and found this a good home base. You are south (1 mile or so) of the little surf town of Dominical so there will be no drunk 19 year olds stumbling by which is what you might have if you stay IN Dominical. Owners were helpful in finding us places to stay in San Jose, driving directions, restaurant recommendations, etc.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
Reviewed June 27, 2009

My stay at Costa Paraiso was an unbelievable experience. I think more than anything it was the people that run the beautiful place made me feel such at home. They were always there if you needed them. Always had great recommendations of awesome adventures to take during the day. Or just to kick back at Costa Paraiso for the day and journey into the unknown was a great way to spend the day. The beautiful beach and huge rocks 30 yards behind the place was an adventure in itself.
While staying at Costa Paraiso I stayed in the Toucan Nest, which was much nicer than expected. I had cold A/C, hot water and the best view Costa Rica may have to offer. Water crashing against the rocks, day in day out was very mind easing. Not to mention enjoying the local iguanas crawling around on some of the branches right outside, off the nice private porch that separates you from the other “casitas” on the grounds of Costa Paraiso. My stay was one not to forget and on top of that I even made new friends with the people there. I definitely plan to return hopefully sooner than later.
I would recommend this place to anyone who knows how to have a good time, let his or her hair down and just relax.
A very special thanks to Steve, Jennifer & Ullie… You guys made the stay most enjoyable its nice to meet and be around good people…

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoeMose
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2009

My wife and I spent most of a week at Costa Paraiso last year, and I guess I was too relaxed - it took me until now to write this review! We loved this place, but anyone who goes needs to make sure they understand what type of place this is.

Costa Paraiso is everything that everyone says. It is a nice, relatively simple place in a beautiful setting, right on the coast. There are five "casitas" around the main house, each with a little different character. We stayed in the Toucan Nest, which was perfect for a couple - secluded with great views.

Jennifer met us when we got there, and the guard helped us with our luggage in the rain. She even made us some iced tea to drink when we got in. Tequila the dog was nice and friendly too! Everyone treats you like family.

When the rain cleared out the next morning, we could see how beautiful the place was! All the rain and sun meant that everything was growing great. We never had any monkeys, but we had our share of lizards, iguanas, toucans, hummingbirds, all types of animals. There were even two toucans who lived in the attic of the Toucan Nest - they came out to sun when the sun came out. The grounds are well manicured, with all manner of tropical plants and flowers - it's a great place to sit and relax. And they help you out with that too - there are a bunch of hammocks to relax away the day in! There's a nice pool with hammocks around it, as well as a rancho (thatched roof hut) with more hammocks.

At one point there was apparently a sand beach right in front of the hotel. Apparently it washed away, leaving the black lava rocks, but there is a beach right next door, and it was relatively quiet during the off season - don't know about high season. The rocks make for some great waves, though, and they've put a floodlight on them so the waves are very dramatic at night - as high as 30 feet up in the air!

On a lot of those evenings, the owner Doug and his buddies will sit out on the patio and jam - there's a drum set and a couple of electric guitars out there all the time. Don't worry, though, they're never very loud - never keeps you up at night.

This is not a five star luxury resort, so there are some people who won't like it, and should really look some place else. It is nice, laid back place, though, in a beautiful setting, and will really appeal to some people. It's not for the people who want room service, or those who want a fitness center or a business center (but there is free wi-fi), but Doug or Jennifer will be glad to recommend a nice restaurant a few minutes down the road in either direction. They'll also be glad to recommend places for other activities - zip lines, horseback riding - it's all available nearby.

When we go back to Dominical, this will be where we stay.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple