“Wedding Ceremony Perfection!! PERFECT PLACE for wedding guests!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villas Rio Mar

Villas Rio Mar
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Madison, Wisconsin
“Wedding Ceremony Perfection!! PERFECT PLACE for wedding guests!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I chose Villas Rio Mar as the location for my 70+ guests to stay for my wedding in Costa Rica in February 2014 and I am SO GLAD THAT I DID!!! The guests were all THRILLED with the hotel!!! I chose Villas Rio Mar because it served as the perfect location since guests didn't HAVE to get a car in order to stay there and get into Dominical (since it's a 12min walk) and if they did get a car it didn't HAVE to be 4x4 (which is the case for many hotels in the area) AND because it was both nice enough for my fancier guests but had cheap enough options for my less-wealthy guests! Everyone loved it - from the older family members in their 60s and 70s to the young 25 year olds! Estela, the most amazing hotel manager ever, worked with me endlessly to make sure everyone had the correct room and reservation dates AND she even went the extra mile by helping me make sure older guests were in the quieter rooms (farther from the pool) and the younger guests were closer to the pool and each other. The staff at Rio Mar was exceptional at every possible point. I was in the midst of crazy wedding planning and tons of people in town for the wedding and they were constantly helpful!! Truly, I keep getting comments from my guests about how much they loved the hotel and location and, more than anything else, I can say that the POOL was a HUGE hit!!! My friends loved getting drinks and hanging out at the pool while relaxing between excursions - it was the perfect meeting place!

In addition to being the most amazing place to lodge guests, Villas Rio Mar (particularly the lovely Estela and Eilyn) also assisted in coordinating many of the details for the beach ceremony itself! I chose the location on the beach (a spot not far from Dominical) and they worked with me to figure out how many chairs I needed, they got the chair covers and the colorful chair ties (to match my wedding colors) and the flowers. They met me at the site a few days before the ceremony to talk through the set-up to make sure everything was exactly to my specifications. Then, on the day of the ceremony, I have never seen anything more beautiful in my life! It was set-up PERFECTLY! Everything was gorgeous and just as I'd envisioned it would be! I'm SO SO SO grateful for everything Estela, Eilyn and all of the Villas Rio Mar staff did to make my wedding day and week as relaxing, beautiful and memorable as it was!!

I whole-heartedly recommend Villas Rio Mar as a GREAT place to stay for groups and a wonderful partner in wedding planning/set-up! They're the best!! Thanks, Estela & Eilyn, you are WONDERFUL! Besos a todo!

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!

Room Tip: If you want AC, make sure to get a superior or Junior Suite room. If you prefer to have an awesome l...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
MEsquivel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful pictures! We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your wedding here at Villas Rio Mar. It was a pleasure helping set up your wedding on the beautiful beach, and we hope you and your guest will remember it for a lifetime.

It’s nice to hear you enjoyed the location and that it was easy access for all of you to Dominical Village,. And also Dominicalito Beach is one of the most beautiful places to enjoy a beautiful wedding like you’re, easy to walk, with some very nice surroundings and the spectacular view from the big waves and rocks…

We are also very happy all your guests enjoyed their stay, being comfortable in their located rooms for all ages, and that the pool was a hit! We are more than grateful to hear our staff have met your expectations, it is very important to us your opinion, is part of our work to make our customers feel like at home. We feel more than blessing to meet all of you guests.

Thank you again for your commentary and photos. We hope all of you will be back some day!

Río Mar Staff :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Cooperstown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I spent 5 nights here and it was amazing!- along with about 30 other friends! and we had a blast! Town is awesome but a little busy- especially s/p music fest! Rio Mar is a perfect, SAFE, little walk away from all that Dominical has to offer-but also gets you out of all the hustle and bustle. IF you are going to be walking/biking at night be sure to bring a headlamp! The restaurant is fantastic and the staff are beyond wonderful! Breakfast was an awesome way to start the day and get fueled up for the next big adventure. The hotel did an excellent job arranging on time, clean, and very accommodating transportation to and from the hotel for us from the airport- I think that having a car is key for that area if you really want to see all that there is to offer- but I would still do it the same way- shuttle in from San Jose and then rent a car when I got there for day trips! Bc if you have not been here before- traffic can be craycray! Pool and rooms were amazing! Staff was very professional and the whole area was very clean and super safe!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
MEsquivel, Guest Relations Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
.Hi,

Thank you so much for your kind words! It’s great to hear you and your friends had an amazing time here at Villas Rio Mar. We are happy you felt safe and that the walk to town wasn’t off-putting.

We are also pleased to hear you enjoyed eating at the restaurant and that the staff were friendly and accommodating. Having a car here in Dominical is useful, but as you said, renting one here for day trips is a super option as well!

Thank you again for your lovely comments. We hope you will come back to enjoy the pool and have a clean, wonderful stay in future!

Hotel Río Mar Staff!!!
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We spent the last week at Rio Mar and will never forget the wonderful time we had there. The surrounding area is full of amazing plants, trees, birds and butterflies. And quite a few iguanas. We had a non-air conditioned room which was totally comfortable with the room fans. Great pool. Good breakfast. Staff is friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. A bit of a walk to town. A great place to relax and re-energize.

1 Thank SocialWorkers
MEsquivel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hi,

Thank you so much for your comments! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay here at Villas Río Mar. We are very happy you enjoyed the nature and atmosphere.

We are also glad you enjoyed the rooms and had a blast in the pool! It’s nice to hear you had a good breakfast and liked the people around you. Do you know we do also have room whit A/C and T/V just in case in the future.

It’s great you could relax, and that the walk didn’t put you off town.

Thank you, once again, for your kind words, and we hope to see you return in future!

Staff Villas Río Mar
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Villas Rio Mar was a very nice place to stay in Dominical. Close to town, but also set back so it was nice and quiet. The staff were extremely helpful and polite. Great breakfast was included with our stay. Great tours and guidance on things to do in the area. It was hard to find the hotel the night we got in (it was dark), but once we found it, it was a very nice place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MEsquivel, Guest Relations Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your response.

We are very happy when our guests take the time to give their opinion about our hotel.

It seems that you enjoyed a lot of the happenings that Dominical has to offer! We hope you also enjoyed the beautiful sunset in Dominical beach, are “AMAZING”. And the activities around Dominical area are incredible and very adrenaline. Our breakfast is always include in our rates and we love when our guests enjoy every morning 7am to 10am.

We are located about 850 mtr from the center of the main entrance from Dominical, on the path of the river baru, sorry for his little lost, but eventually you found quickly

We hope to see you again!

The staff of Villas Rio Mar
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Since 2002, I've visited Costa Rica six times, always.traveling by motorcycle. Villas Rio Mar has been a stop on each trip and, on a few occasions, we have gone out of our way to make it happen.

The villas are off-the-beaten path, but only slightly so, providing both solitude and convenience. You're next to a gentle river (hence the name) and surrounded by trees and dense foliage on the others sides. Every morning, I wake early to go for a walk and look for frogs (I found my first poison dart frog here on the banks of a stream!) and to watch the birds. I like interesting insects too and often venture into the woods to seek them out. The grounds are well manicured and include a large number of native plants, many of which have been thoughtfully labeled!

The Villas are a leisurely walk from the surfing village of Dominical. Dominical has grown over the years and caters to tourists, but not obnoxiously so. There are restaurants in town but we always have our evening meal at the Villas. Breakfast too since it's very good and included in the room price.

I always feel welcome and appreciated when visiting and have not met an unfriendly or indifferent person; something that I cannot say about other places overrun with demanding (read that any way you want) Americans. Stella and others have remembered me from other trips and always ask about our travels wanting to also know how they can make our stay nicer.

Being on a motorcycle, my plans have been thrown off by mechanical issues and the "cerro de la muerte" (don't be on it after mid-afternoon). The Villas have always been accommodating to these changes.

My punch list of favorite places in the country has evolved over the years except that I always come back here.

Room Tip: If you like to be next to the woods, let them know.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hi,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It’s great to hear you have fantastic times here at Villas Rio Mar. If you want to be submerged in nature, with a walking distance to the village, here’s the perfect place to come.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the breakfasts, and we’re happy you find this place friendly (not only eco-friendly)!

We’re really happy to hear Rio Mar hasn’t changed in your punch list, and we hope to see your return in the near future.

Thanks again for your lovely commentary.

The Rio Mar Staff!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Spent 5 nights there with a large group and had a blast. Close to town, great outdoor space, great pool. We had a blast! Rooms aren't anything fancy but had everything we needed. We didn't spend any time in them anyway except to sleep.

Room Tip: Standard rooms do NOT have AC but it cools off a lot at night so you really don't need it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi dear,

Thank you so much for you sweet comment, we really appreciate your stay here in our hotel was satisfied, we are more than happy to hear you were blessed. The Dominical and our surroundings are very nice and easy to walk to town, and many think to do!

We hope when you have arrived home, has had time to sleep. One again thank for your comment.

The Rio Mar Staff.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I recently stayed at Villas Rio Mar with a large group and the hotel bent over backwards to meet our needs. Everyone at the hotel was exceptionally kind and efficient. The kitchen went out of its way to cater for members of our group who had food allergies.

This is a great place to take teenagers because the grounds are very contained and it is next to impossible for them to get into trouble, yet there is a lot for them to do from swimming to tennis to miniature golf.

Waterfalls, freshwater swimming holes, zip lining, a nature preserve, and horseback riding are less that 15 minutes away by car. Going to the beach is easily walkable.

The rooms are smallish, but the curtained verandas for each villa greatly enlarges the living space. I had a room without air-conditioning, but opening the windows and using the ceiling fan made the room very comfortable at night.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back are quieter and more remote, but the walkways can make getting to them difficu...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MEsquivel, Guest Relations Manager at Villas Rio Mar, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your kind works. We are more than happy to know you enjoyed and we really appreciate to hear you spend a wonderful stay and had a good experience here in our Hotel with your group! We work and do the best as much as we can be were attended nicely and warm, this is part of our work, we always try to make sure our guest get a promptly and efficiently services.

Great to hear you enjoy our grounds witch are very contained and the areas are beautiful with nice gardens, the pool area, and our restaurant too, and the daily activities you did were amazing! Costa Rica especially in the South Pacific is very special and peaceful.

All rooms have verandas and are very spacious, the difference between the standard without AC and TV, is that they have a comfortable hammock, which makes it different from all the rest.
One more time thank you so much. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Villas Rio Mar.

Staff Villas Rio Mar