I stayed at Villas Rio Mar for 4 nights in Feb 08. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay. I was traveling alone and the staff really made an effort to be friendly and helpful. The pool and villas were great!! Very relaxing. You can relax in your private hammock, on the outdoor couches, or at one of the many chairs by the pool. Really nice! The rooms also have mini-fridges in case you buy any snacks/drinks in town.
What I liked: beautiful landscaping, private porches with netting and hammocks, nice pool, restaurant/spa on site, free internet access, tour coordinator on site, great setting (in the jungle, near a river, can hear lots of birds etc.).
There weren't any negatives with this hotel. I really enjoyed my stay. But a couple of things you should know:
1) you are in the jungle. There are bugs. There will be bugs on your porch and even in your room sometimes. There was a gecko that lived on my porch that made quite a bit of noise in the mornings.
2) This hotel is off the beaten path. It is a good 10 minute walk to Dominical down a completely empty, unlit, dirt road (find during day, I wouldn't walk it at night alone). Then another 10 minutes through Dominical to the beach. This is okay, but without a car you can't be hopping back and forth between the hotel and beach all day. I did not have a car, and went into town and the beach everyday, and it was fine. Just a leisurely walk.
3) The food was decent, but nothing special. They do have an extensive menu, but I didn't find it very "costa rican", it's more international.
4) The villas are big houses split into several units. So although you cannot SEE anyone from your unit, I could hear the next door neighbors for a few nights (they had a child with them who cried a lot).
Overall, I recommend the resort. For me personally, I do not think I would come here for a honeymoon but would be great for other trips!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dominical ***Eco-Hotel Resort near Uvita & Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica Relax in true nature while enjoying a wide range of amenities! Villas Rio Mar is an internationally recognized 3 Star Eco hotel located in a stunning natural setting; an easy 10 minute walk from the fun and the beach of Dominical. Whether traveling as a couple or with family, Villas Rio Mar offers a wide range of amenities guaranteed to make your holiday worry-free and enjoyable. Our hotel includes 52 rooms and can also host medium-sized groups. Our spacious tropical gardens provide privacy and include many beautiful plants, flowers, and birds, which one can observe from outdoor patio areas located in front of the rooms. One of the best restaurants in the area, El Rancho, is located at Villas Rio Mar. The area offers a wide array of leisure and adventure activities including beautiful beaches, four National Parks, and many other nature & wildlife reserves. A wide range of amenities: spacious tropical gardens, jungle trails, large swimming pool with pool bar, quality restaurant & bar (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks), international sports programming, room service, billiard table, darts, foosball, kids’ play area, mini golf, outside gym, tennis court, tour & transport services, massage, nail studio, and other body treatments. 4 room types to choose from: 48 of the 52 rooms have an outdoor patio area with garden views, rooms with AC & TV available, family-sized rooms available (limited), rooms with kitchenette available, mini-fridge and ceiling fans in every room Great price for an excellent service: professional staff, free wi-fi throughout the hotel, complimentary parking, free rental car drop-off (airport & Villas Rio Mar), group discounts available, seasonal discounts; May>Dec. 15th, book now & pay later! Beautiful, easily accessible, with lots to do: - Stunning natural beauty, gorgeous beaches, and nearby tropical jungle teeming with exotic wildlife - Many beaches, national parks, and adventure tours - Easily accessible from SJO International Airport via newly paved roads (<3 hours) - 10 min. walk to Dominical - 15 min. walk to the beach - Relaxing natural setting - Private and secure Meetings & Events: conference room & event planning services for businesses, weddings & private events ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Villas Rio Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Rio Mar Hotel Dominical
- Hotel Rio Mar
- Rio Mar Hotel
- Villas Rio Mar Costa Rica/Dominical