“Breathtaking!”
other traveler has booked this property
The 2 Guest Houses are next to the Main House Our front gate
The 2 Guest Houses are next to the Main House
Our front gate
Our ocean view from the Main House & Guest House
2km paved private driveway makes it easy to jog or just explore the rain forest
Take a hike on our newly built trail and enjoy the breeze at the Mirador
Sunset view patio above the pool with BBQ grill table for 8 people
Two level swimming pool: lap pool and kid friendly play pool
Dining room
Living room & kitchen
Ocean view & mountain view living room. TV has DVD and satellite TV
Master bedroom with king size bed
Master bath
Master bath
Another bedroom with private bathroom and access to balcony
Bedroom with ocean view balcony and private bathroom
Ocean view bedroom with access to patio balcony
Guest House and our private jungle in the back
Guest house main room
Guest house bedroom
Guest house bedroom
For the serious hiker, check out Whale's Tail from the top of our property
Sunset from the main house
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

jmh201420...
Denver, Colorado
“Breathtaking!”
Reviewed January 27, 2015 for a stay in December 2014

When I decided to plan my trip to Costa Rica I was looking for a place that would allow me to slow down, rest, get centered, and feel nourished, while still having that comfort of home feeling. WOW! This place exceeded all my expectations.

When we drove up and walked into our place, I was blown away by how spacious and inviting this place was. One of my most memorable moments staying at Selva Escondida was waking up to the singing of the many wildlife; such as birds and monkeys, and the breathtaking views of the jungle and ocean from the master bedroom. I truly felt that I was on top of the world and a part of nature. The property is amazing with the plethora of fruit trees, beautiful flowers, the aroma of the ylang ylang trees, and the many little critters that greeted us.

We ventured out on the 250 acres and hiked throughout the property and visited the hidden overlooks. We watched the sunset from the Mirado overlook. Sooo Amazing. Definitely a must see.

The serenity this place gave me will always remain in my heart. I was able to open up, write, and rejuvenate my creative side. It woke me up. I would encourage anyone that is looking to retreat in Costa Rica for personal, family, or business transformation, this is the place for sure. Next time...I am bringing a group with me! Thank you so much! Absolutely Life changing and growth promoting!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The spaciousness and all the amenities like the pool, kitchen, and views.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Dan K
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Ultimate Pura Vida Experience”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

Selva Escondida was the highlight of our Costa Rican adventure. As we made our way up the steep winding road to the entrance of the property, we were greeted by life sized mayanesque statues, a large iron gate and Vin. Vin (pronounced bean), the property manager, opened the gate and lead us through a 1/2 mile winding jungle mountain driveway, handed us the keys to the casa and left us to it. As he drove away we looked at each other in amazement realizing that we had just arrived at Shangri La.

Since we spent most of our trip doing laborious/adventurous things all around the Osa Peninsula, Selva Escondida provided a different kind of Pura Vida experience. It was one of relaxation, comfort and jungle luxury mixed together to create the ultimate existence. I cannot put into words the feeling I had waking up to the sun rising over the mountain as I looked down my toes to the ocean from our bed. Each morning we would wake up with the sun, eat fresh fruit and drink coffee on the wraparound porch and snap pic after pic of the jungle canopy and shoreline. The pool stays cool up there so it's the perfect refreshing start (middle and end) to the day.

For day trips we highly recommend going to Ballena National Park, which is only 5 minutes away. Another close excursion is to visit Dominical (16km to the north). It's a sleepy little surf town with restaurants, decent waves and a lot of local vendors selling souvenirs, clothing and other tchotchkes. While in Dominical we were lucky enough to have two whales fully breach just off of the shoreline, it was truly a magical experience. We also suggest you spend a day finding your very own secluded beach somewhere along the Costanera (generally you can find one by just turning off of the highway towards the coast at a random dirt road… keep the car within vision if you have belongings in there). Again, we spent a lot of time just relaxing at the house and living the ultimate dream.

On the property, Vin took us on a great hike to the Mirador. There is a direct short hike on a well maintained trail or you can take "the loop" around and through the jungle, which we highly recommend if you're somewhat fit. We saw howler monkeys, whiteface monkeys, toucans, geckos, praying mantis, and many other flora and fauna of the rain forest.

I've been coming to Costa Rica for ten years, and Selva Escondida is by far an inimitable experience. Thanks Jason and Annick!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: When the power went out and we played cards by candlelight under the porch during the rain storm.
Liked least: Having to leave.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing