My friend and I recently stayed at Hacienda Baru for 3 days. I could easily have stayed here for at least a week as this was one of my favorite places during our trip. Not only was our cabin very comfortable (it has 2 rooms equipped with a fridge and cofffeemaker in addition to a stove), the trails and grounds were fabulous. We walked along all their trails and saw lots of birds, including toucans, wood rails, blue crowned motmots, orange chinned parakeets, cherries tanagers, and a potoo. We also came across a group of capuchins and watched them for about 30 minutes--such a fun experience! We hired a guide one day and he was extremely knowledgable and pointed out several things we would have missed, including the potoo and sloth. He was one of the better guides during our entire trip.
We ate at the restuarant for all our meals (except breakfast that was brought to us for our guided hike) and the meals were great. The fruit shakes are not to be missed! I'm also happy I waited to buy my souvenirs at the Cacao Monkey gift shop next to the reception. Not only were things hand crafted, but they had a great selection and were very reasonable. I bought several of the painted feathers in frames which made wonderful gifts.
If you're a walker/hiker, take advantage of the PowerAid available in the cooler in the reception area (have to purchase). I found out the hard way that even though I drank lots of water, my salt balance got out of whack from sweating so much and my feet and hands swelled up pretty painfully. Once I drank the PowerAid, things went back to normal. We bought several bottles after that and kept them in the freezer in the room so that they'd still be a bit cold when we put them in our packs during a walk.
All in all, I loved this place and will definitely come back again to take advantage of all the birds and wildlife on their grounds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The lodge is located at the entrance to Hacienda Baru National Wildlife Refuge which protects 330 hectares (815 acres) of tropical forest, wetlands, mangrove and 3 kilometers of pristine Baru Beach. The refuge offers seven kilometers of well marked nature trails and a bird watching tower for a modest entrance fee. Guided tours with sharp-eyed local guides include two different types of canopy tours, five hiking tours, a camping tour and three bird watching tours. Hacienda Baru National Wildlife Refuge & Lodge is situated on Costa Rica's Southern Pacific Coast. This is a region of distinct natural beauty where forest covered mountains rise up from the dramatic Pacific coastline. The village of Dominical is just 3 km from Hacienda Baru located. Hacienda Baru Ecolodge's bungalow style cabins are large and roomy. Each one has two bedrooms, one with a double bed and the other with one double and one twin bed. Each bungalow has a bathroom with hot water shower, living room, porch, and kitchenette. For your convenience, they come equipped with fridge, coffee maker, hot plate and fans in all the rooms. They are ideal for families. In addition to the cabins, Hacienda Baru Ecolodge is now offering six new Pool View Guest Rooms. Each of these superior units has a large bathroom, a porch and ample space for beds and other furniture. Each will normally have a king size bed and a twin bed , but they can be equipped with up to four twin beds. Each has a frige and coffee maker as well. The attractive tile roofing is made from recycled plastic bags. A well ventilated design, insulation between the roofing and the polished teak ceiling, and overhead fans all insure cool comfort for our guests. All of the teak and gmelina wood used in the construction came from Hacienda Baru's own plantations. The wood for the pine beams and cypress furniture all came from plantations as well. Not a single piece of the wood used came from a natural forest. Solar heaters provide plenty of hot water for the bathrooms. The outside walls are slate and polished teak. The new guest rooms are conveniently located right in front of our new swimming pool. Our breezy open air restaurant allows you to observe the gardens and natural surroundings as you dine. We have five private ranchos for guests that want an intimate setting perhaps for a romantic candlelight dinner or a special family meal. Our menu is primarily very tasty typical Costa Rican food, but we do offer a variety of dishes for those who either don't like or want a break from rice and beans. We offer a selection Costa Rican fruit drinks known as FRESCOS meaning refreshing, soft drinks, a selection of Costa Rican beer, you must have heard of Imperial, wines and other licors. The swimming pool at Hacienda Baru Lodge is disinfected with ozone produced by an ozone generator which injects a constant flow of this eco-friendly gas into the water. This system of disinfection allows us to maintain a very low concentration of chlorine in the pool. The chlorine level is so slight that it is imperceptible to pool users. The swimming pool is open from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Guests from both the cabins and guest rooms are welcome to use the pool during these hours. Bird Watching, Canopy Exploration and Ecological Tours are our specialty. Our bilingual grass roots naturalist guides will help you discover the wonders of the tropical rainforest, such as leaf cutter ants, the sleepy sloths and the nesting site of the Common Pootoo. On our tours you can experience everything from the Rainforest Canopy to Mangrove Swamps or the Jungle at Night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Hacienda Baru Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Baru Hotel Quepos
- Hacienda Baru Lodge Costa Rica/Dominical