“Surf is a blast”

Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are proud supporters of 1% for the Planet, Surf rider Foundation, and Sea Shepherd. Our instructors are certified by the ISA , Costa Rican Lifeguard Association, and are all avid surfers from around the globe. We will turn you from a "never ever" to an "intermediate" surfer by the time you leave our surf camp! If you are in intermediate surfer we will transport you to different surf locations where we will work on all aspects surfing point breaks to big beach break. Not only will we teach you everything you need to know about surfing we will show you around Costa Rica and make sure you experience this jungle paradise! Drop us an email to discuss booking a surf lesson or joining our surf camp.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We are a family with five kids. All of us took lessons with Sunset Surf. Four kids ages 10 to 15 and four year old. Even our four year old loved it. Dylan was her instructor and was on the board with her as she was standing up on it. It was fun to surf as a family and instructors all were very encouraging and supportive. Highly recommend.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"incredible experience"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is my second time visiting the sunset surf crew and it was just as awesome as the first time. The weather was sunny during the day, and the rain at night didn’t stop us from hitting up Tortilla Flats for Passion Fruit Basil Margaritas (followed by Michalatas). The surf instructors know how to keep you cool, calm and collected during the lessons and I really felt more confident the second time around. If you are a fan of adventure vacations that involve fresh coconut water, strong coffee, local beer, great food, hiking, swimming, friends and stray dogs that might as well be people (DIEGOOOOO), you should book you trip!

Dylan and his crew are rock stars and you will have a memorable time! Can't wait to come back...

Pura Vida!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My friends and I were directed to Sunset Surf by the owner of our rental home in Dominical. We had a two hour private lesson and had a fantastic time! Only one of us had ever surfed before, and within the first hour, everyone caught a few waves. Our instructor, Josue, was amazing. He was very knowledgeable about the area, the ocean and surfing. If we hadn't been so sore from the two hours we spent in the ocean, we would have absolutely gone back for more. The break about halfway into our lesson was much needed-sunset surf provided us with cold water and fresh pineapple. Absolutely delicious! We can't wait to return!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I have never been surfing, and we found Sunset Surf on TripAdvisor. We did a beginner lesson for about two and a half hours, and went from being apprehensive to being able to stand up on the board for a few seconds at a time. I can't say enough good things about the instructors...they made us feel very safe, and helped us push our boards out, spotted good waves for us, told us when to get in the board, and yelled when it was time to pop up. What a thrill!
I read a lot about Jaco being the best town for surfing, but we stopped by and it seemed overcrowded and dirty compared to Dominical. Schedule an early morning surf lesson with Sunset Surf and have breakfast at Tortilla Flat afterward. You will love it!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I considered myself a low-intermediate surfer when I arrived to Dominical. I set out to become better - break bad habits, progress to a shorter board, and just rip it! Dylan was super supportive the entire time. I never felt unsafe or unsure. His instruction was both constructive and encouraging! You can tell he loves what he does -- and he does it well! He had me confidently surfing overhead waves (huge to my petite frame!) and when he saw I got the basics down, he would advance me to more progressive riding approach. He took his time, I never felt pressured. I also surfed with "Flaco" and Jossue and it was just like surfing with really supportive friends - joking and having an all-around great session! You get delicious, fresh fruit during your session. Fresh water. Transportation (pick-up/drop-off).

He and his crew were also helpful with suggesting on-land activities (restaurants, bars, points of interest...) and Dylan and his staff will happily connect you to the appropriate contacts! Dylan and Jeanine were super-attentive Front Office staff with great follow-thru. They're even better as surf coaches!

I highly recommend this surf camp and plan on bringing more of my family back!

CostaRicaSurf81, Owner at Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

We are very glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and we are working hard to further improve our business to keep our clients safe and happy! Hope to see you girls back in the surf soon! Pura Vida!