“Amazing people, amazing place, amazing experience!!”

Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are proud supporters of 1% for the Planet, Surf rider Foundation, and Sea Shepherd. Our instructors are certified by the ISA , Costa Rican Lifeguard Association, and are all avid surfers from around the globe. We will turn you from a "never ever" to an "intermediate" surfer by the time you leave our surf camp! If you are in intermediate surfer we will transport you to different surf locations where we will work on all aspects surfing point breaks to big beach break. Not only will we teach you everything you need to know about surfing we will show you around Costa Rica and make sure you experience this jungle paradise! Drop us an email to discuss booking a surf lesson or joining our surf camp.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have attempted to surf before and I have to be honest it is one of the harder sports I have ever tried. With that being said I can't believe how much progress I made and the confidence I built while surfing with Dylan at Sunset Surf! If you don't know what you're doing surfing can be a scary sport to learn. Not only is Dylan extremely knowledgeable but he is also encouraging, motivating and fun to hang out with all while making sure you feel safe. The entire staff at Sunset Surf could not be nicer. It was totally an all inclusive experience. Jeanine took some awesome pictures, Dylan had pineapple and water waiting for when the lesson was over and we even took a trip to the rope swing near by. Overall it really is worth every penny and then some!! Thanks again to the Sunset Surf crew!! I can't wait for my next visit :)

All reviews
"new friends"
in 3 reviews
"amazing experience"

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I took two lessons from Sunset Surf and thoroughly enjoyed both. I've taken lessons before and these were by far the most informative and were well taught. I would recommend them to anyone from a beginner just starting out to an intermediate surfer looking to improve.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

What a great place to learn how to surf! Dylan and staff do a great job and compared to my first experience (not there by the way) with surfing this really gave me a sense for what a first time experience should look like. If they can get someone like me up on a board, then you should be riding the waves in no time. I really like how they went from beginner board to intermediate board including going to a different beach for waves that are spot on for our ability. I would recommend at least 2 days with them if you can carve out the time so that you can leave with a real sense for what surfing can be. Thanks again to Sunset Surf for a great experience!!! Troy

1  Thank STroy L
Reviewed May 15, 2013

A big thanks and shout out to Dylan, Josue, Jeanine, Jorge and Carlos(i think)!! After 2 days of my own lessons with Josue and 3 days of surfing along side other lessons, I can confidently say this crew is top notch. They genuinely care that you have a good time, they know how to coach, and they're right there next to you the entire time. Nuff said. Check them out!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in Dominical for 3 weeks and me and my friends tried several of the many available options for surfing lessons in town before finding Sunset. It was really a head and shoulders above the other lessons we had. Other places there are these young, albeit really nice, under-experienced guys who give you some pointers on the beach, take you out in the whitewater at Dominical (which is rocky and difficult for a beginner to surf) and give you a push and tell you to stand up. They are not on a board (because you are in the whitewater) and you stand up, but it's not a very satisfying experience. Sunset was different because the director, Dylan, takes you and a board for you to other local beaches (Hermosa, Dominicalito) to look at the surf and find waves that are appropriate for you. You get coaching on the beach, you get coaching about how to get out beyond the waves (which was much easier at the other beaches), you go out to the waves (green waves, not whitewater, big or small, according to your comfort), Dylan is out on a board with you, and coaches you. He tells you things like "Turn your foot in more", "Shift your weight to your back leg", etc and helps you stand up on a real wave, which feels amazing. If you were ever an athlete you will appreciate this kind of break down as opposed to just "stand up". He has local guys who work for him and go out with you and they are great. He only uses local lifeguards so they are kind of a cut above the other local kids for swimming/safety knowledge. Basically, it's a much more legit, professional, organized experience. It cost $50 a lesson and was well worth it. After a couple $40 lessons with other businesses, I had decided surfing was just not for me/too hard, but after my time with Sunset I am really excited about surfing. I will definitely go back here if I am in Costa Rica again.

1  Thank Gabe S