“You won't be disappointed”

Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are proud supporters of 1% for the Planet, Surf rider Foundation, and Sea Shepherd. Our instructors are certified by the ISA , Costa Rican Lifeguard Association, and are all avid surfers from around the globe. We will turn you from a "never ever" to an "intermediate" surfer by the time you leave us! If you are in intermediate surfer we will transport you to different surf locations where we will work on all aspects surfing point breaks to big beach break. Located on Dominical beach at the brand new MAVI surf hotel. Not only will we teach you everything you need to know about surfing we will show you around Costa Rica and make sure you experience this jungle paradise! Please drop us an email to discuss your Costa Rican surf vacation.
Calgary
“You won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

A big thanks and shout out to Dylan, Josue, Jeanine, Jorge and Carlos(i think)!! After 2 days of my own lessons with Josue and 3 days of surfing along side other lessons, I can confidently say this crew is top notch. They genuinely care that you have a good time, they know how to coach, and they're right there next to you the entire time. Nuff said. Check them out!

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best of several surf schools I tried in Dominical, CR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in Dominical for 3 weeks and me and my friends tried several of the many available options for surfing lessons in town before finding Sunset. It was really a head and shoulders above the other lessons we had. Other places there are these young, albeit really nice, under-experienced guys who give you some pointers on the beach, take you out in the whitewater at Dominical (which is rocky and difficult for a beginner to surf) and give you a push and tell you to stand up. They are not on a board (because you are in the whitewater) and you stand up, but it's not a very satisfying experience. Sunset was different because the director, Dylan, takes you and a board for you to other local beaches (Hermosa, Dominicalito) to look at the surf and find waves that are appropriate for you. You get coaching on the beach, you get coaching about how to get out beyond the waves (which was much easier at the other beaches), you go out to the waves (green waves, not whitewater, big or small, according to your comfort), Dylan is out on a board with you, and coaches you. He tells you things like "Turn your foot in more", "Shift your weight to your back leg", etc and helps you stand up on a real wave, which feels amazing. If you were ever an athlete you will appreciate this kind of break down as opposed to just "stand up". He has local guys who work for him and go out with you and they are great. He only uses local lifeguards so they are kind of a cut above the other local kids for swimming/safety knowledge. Basically, it's a much more legit, professional, organized experience. It cost $50 a lesson and was well worth it. After a couple $40 lessons with other businesses, I had decided surfing was just not for me/too hard, but after my time with Sunset I am really excited about surfing. I will definitely go back here if I am in Costa Rica again.

1 Thank Gabe S
Kenora, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Second best week of my life!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I only say that my recent 10-day/9-night surf camp was the second best week of my life because this is my second trip to Sunset Surf Dominical. My first trip here is when I discovered surfing and thus, that week was the best week of my life. Dylan and crew do an outstanding job of creating a memorable vacation by providing safe, yet fun surf lessons in a relaxed atmosphere. They are very patient with each guest, know how to motivate you, and get you really excited about surfing.

If it wasn't for Dylan and his crew, I would never have come to love surfing as much as I do and I definitely wouldn't have come back for a second surf camp. I am already looking at my calendar to see when I can come back!!!

Calgary, Canada
“Really fun Surf Lessons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have taken a few lessons with Sunset Surf over the last couple years and they are great! I would highly recommend them to anyone at any level. Dylan and his staff go out of their way to make sure everyone is safe and happy!

Portland, Oregon
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

From safety, to technique to encouragement, my daughter and I had a great time with Sunset Surf. I was impressed with the friendly professionalism of Dylan and his crew. He was patient and helpful with me and had my daughter looking like an experienced surfer on the first day. We even got great local info on the best places in the Dominical area to find and do things, including out-of-the-way places to buy the freshest fish. Nice to find a surfing school that cares about customer service. If you're looking for a surfing school anywhere near Dominical, I heartily recommend Sunset Surf Dominical. Make sure you ask for Dylan.

Visited April 2013