“Loved learning to surf at Sunset Surf”

Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are proud supporters of 1% for the Planet, Surf rider Foundation, and Sea Shepherd. Our instructors are certified by the ISA , Costa Rican Lifeguard Association, and are all avid surfers from around the globe. We will turn you from a "never ever" to an "intermediate" surfer by the time you leave our surf camp! If you are in intermediate surfer we will transport you to different surf locations where we will work on all aspects surfing point breaks to big beach break. Not only will we teach you everything you need to know about surfing we will show you around Costa Rica and make sure you experience this jungle paradise! Drop us an email to discuss booking a surf lesson or joining our surf camp.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I had been really eager to get out for a surf lesson in Dominical, Costa Rica. We emailed Dylan and he immediately responded with options and details. We booked a lesson on a day that suited us, and were soon on our way out. His staff is super professional, helpful and fun. Instructor to student ratio is perfect, you get lots of help if you need it, or some freedom to try it on your own and everything in between. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the place to go. We will definitely be back to do a few intermediate lessons next year! Can hardly wait!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"incredible experience"
"new friends"

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I can't say enough about what a great experience I had with Dylan and his crew at Sunset Surf Dominical. I splurged on a 10-day package, and it was worth much more than the price! Dylan and the other teachers are all phenomenal--very experienced surfers, as well as patient, kind, fun-loving, and friendly. You know you're in good hands when they open the ice chest and there's mucho sunscreen, zinc for your nose, fabulous fruit for the break, and cold water. Then a thorough lesson on safety, basics, reading the waves...then the fun began! I took my 7 lessons with all kinds of people in all kinds of shape, and these teachers (and waves) got everyone up and surfing in no time. I traveled alone, and stayed at Domilocos Hotel, and between the surf staff and the hotel staff--from the housekeeping and reception to the restaurant--I felt welcome and at home. They even put up with my loco espanol! From being met at the airport, till our last waves under a stunning sunset, the whole trip was a dream come true. Dylan and his wonderful partner Marisela are also caring protectors of the environment, not to mention full of warmth and integrity. This surf school is a treasure, and I will be back!

1  Thank Anna B
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We enrolled our daughter in the kids surf camp during Christmas break. She enjoyed it so much she would pop right out of bed every morning. The instructors are wonderful with kids, kept them all safe, reminded them to drink water and reapply their sunblock AND taught them important safety tips all while having the time of their lives. The true testament is by the 2nd day my daughter got out of the water and yelled, "I love surfing!"

Reviewed January 30, 2013

While I have surfed before, it has been over 30 years. My wife had never been. Our instructor was Adam, and he brought back all my old motor skills and was up on my second wave. My wife took and extra wave or two, but was up in no time. We surfed the coast of Costa Rica while enjoying a gorgeous sunset. It was such a rush to drop into a nice gentle rolling 5 footer. Now that my wife has the bug, we most certainly o back. Fresh water & fresh cut fruit for a break, and we rode waves for hours. Thank you Sunset Surf!!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I allways wanted to try and finally did so with Dylan from Sunset Surf, and i loved it. I only hat time to go surfing for 2 days, so me and my girlfriend singed up for the first lesson. We had short useful theory on the beach and then when went surfing the small waves. suprisingly we both could stand up the first try, it was awesome... my GF was tired the next day, so i went alone and got really lucky. I was the only customer, so dylan took me out in to the waves of dominical... he helped me match the bigger waves and gave me a push, to meet the right speed, but i could surf.... it was perfect!!!! relly surfing on second day ;)

Dylan is very professional, explains everything simple and easy... he also is the only really registered Surf Instructor in Dominical! If you wanna learn how to surf, that's the spot....