“Great teacher, fast results”

Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are proud supporters of 1% for the Planet, Surf rider Foundation, and Sea Shepherd. Our instructors are certified by the ISA , Costa Rican Lifeguard Association, and are all avid surfers from around the globe. We will turn you from a "never ever" to an "intermediate" surfer by the time you leave our surf camp! If you are in intermediate surfer we will transport you to different surf locations where we will work on all aspects surfing point breaks to big beach break. Not only will we teach you everything you need to know about surfing we will show you around Costa Rica and make sure you experience this jungle paradise! Drop us an email to discuss booking a surf lesson or joining our surf camp.
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My partner and I had 3 lessons with Dylan during our visit to Dominical to great success.

He supplied boards and rash vests, water and transport to Playa Hermosa for our intermediate lesson so we didn't have to worry about any kit/logistics.

Dylan is an astute and patient teacher. He explains the mechanics simply, and evaluates each attempt to 'pop up' so you know where you're going wrong and how to correct it on the next try. He guides you on water safety, and provides physical support (pushes you into waves, turns your board,etc) during your first lessons so you've got the energy left to focus on getting on your board instead of expending it all on paddling!

His prices are a touch higher than anywhere else we found by about $10 / day but we never went out with a big group and got a lot of attention each time, so it felt like private lessons.

After the third lesson, I caught my first proper wave on my very first attempt; if that's not good teaching I dont know what is!

I hope you find the same success at Sunset Surf.

All reviews
"new friends"
in 3 reviews
"amazing experience"

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Last winter I went with my best friend and my boyfriend for a week at Sunset Surf.

Everything about the trip was amazing (The hotel, the town of Dominical, hanging out with Dylan, drinking michelatas etc etc etc) but most amazing was the success that the three of us had at learning to surf. All three of us were essentially beginners and by the 2nd or 3rd day we were all catching waves and standing up all on our own. I had been warned by friends not to "get my hopes up" that I would be able to surf on my own in a week, but Dylan is an amazing teacher, and the wave conditions in the Dominical area are incredibly conducive to learning.

This past summer I took a trip to Hawaii with my family, and because of my week at Sunset Surf, I was able to surf successfully, and quite well in Hawaii! I was thrilled.

Another element of the experience that I really appreciated was that Dylan does an excellent job of dealing with the logistics of the travel/hotel/lessons, so the travel plans are incredibly stress free. For someone who doesn't enjoy dealing with the details, it was a huge treat to just be able to book my plane ticket, and have Dylan take care of the rest. I felt very well cared for.

I do not have a single bad thing to say about my experience with Sunset Surf, and I am dying to go back for another week as soon as I can. Hopefully next winter!

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Our family has built condo's in Uvita,Costa Rica, and during one of our early visits we decided to do surf lessons. We somehow stumbled across Sunset Surf and we are glad we did!!! The beach instruction was very helpful especially with our young kids. We were lucky enough to have 3 instructors for 5 people and they dedicated 2 to the kids. My son Ty(5), and twins Emma and Olivia(4) were completely catching waves on their own by the end of our session( they were never more than an arms length away from them at all times).
We learned alot about the ocean and its capabilities, and just how dedicated and knowledgeable all of the instructors were. If you plan on taking surf lessons...I suggest you use Sunset Surf, its worth every cent!
And truthfully......you won't find many people who will have as much passion,knowledge,experience and patients (for little ones). They are the complete package!!

P.S. I would have rated better than excellent but it wouldn't allow me to!
The Crazy Rennie

Reviewed December 14, 2011

When in Dominical it is a good idea to take a lesson if you are a beginner/intermediate as the waves are big and can be dangerous. There is no one better to receive lessons from than Dylan Park at Sunset Surf Dominical, he took time to coach me on the beach before we paddled out and stayed with me during the whole instruction giving advice that was clear and very helpful. He taught me how to duck dive and ride a board that was 1ft shorter than I was used to. Also, I always felt safe because you know he is watching you at all times not goofing off and playing in the surf himself.

Lastly he had an amazing bag of fresh cold sugarcane to share once back on the beach.....that was a real treat.

If you want lessons in Dominical look up Dylan at Sunset Surf Dominical.....you won't be disappointed!!

Pura Vida.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I first found Sunset Surf through Google... I had searched for the best place to learn how to surf (don't worry for those advanced surfer's... theres PLENTY of beaches all around Dominical) and Costa Rica came up, and thats when I stumbled across Sunset Surf's Website. I immediately got into contact with them, they were very friendly and informative, so it was easy choice. Sunset Surf set us up with not only their 10 day surf camp, but with all the best activities you can do around Dominical. In 10 days we learned how to surf (they truly care about what they do, and have a real passion for their sport, we had some great lessons) we horse backed in the jungle to an amazing waterfall, got set up with a great zip line tour, snorkeled, had the crazy experience of waterfall repelling, and even white water rafted. Sunset Surf also had a schedule with the local daily and nightly activities. The restaurants in Dominical have some of the best food I have had, and great hospitality. We were treated very well. There is also a strip of outdoor shopping full of neat souvenirs ;-) Overall, this was the best vacation I have ever been on, we had the best time... Truly an experience of a lifetime... We can't wait to return!! Not only do we have the amazing memories from this vacation Sunset Surf set up for us... It is the place my Fiance and I got engaged... He proposed on the beach during sunset :-)