Nauyaca Waterfalls - Horseback Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Nauyaca Waterfalls is a totally Costa Rican owned family tourism company, dedicated for several years to tour operations. These are horseback riding tours, traveling through the farm that border with two impressive waterfalls from Rio Barucito. These majestic waterfalls are one of the main attractions of the southern region in Costa Rica, not only for their natural scenic beauty, which offers the tourist moments of recreation and fun, but also to participate in different activities such as horseback ridign tours, swimming, climbing, jumping and to observe much of the beauty of the tropical rainforest, among others. Nauyaca Waterfalls is the ideal place, not only for those in search of tranquility and nature, but also for adventure and excitement lovers. They are a reference point for adventure ecotourism as they are recognized worldwide for their beauty and the excellent services they provide.
Carnelian Bay, California
3 attraction reviews
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was a really fun trip for us! We are experienced trail riders and can understand that someone unexperienced with horses might feel uncomfortable. We found the relaxed atmosphere of the adventure refreshing after the overly cautious rides we have been on in the US. The breakfast and lunch served at Don Lulo’s was delicious! We saw macaws, toucans and white faced monkeys in the trees. The waterfalls are beautiful. Much to our surprise, the guides set ropes up the falls to allow anyone willing, to climb to a ledge and leap or dive into the pool at the bottom of the fall. We did not participate ourselves but thoroughly enjoyed watching those brave souls that did. I highly recommend this adventure.

Orange Beach, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horseback to the waterfalls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I took my family on a horseback ride to the waterfalls on our last trip to Costa Rica. These guys are great and very informative while traveling thru there family land to the waterfall. We had a free breakfast and Lunch and plenty of time to swim in the pools under the falls. Then the guides done something at the falls that I could not believe!! I will not spoil the surprise, just do the tour and see for yourself.

Visited March 2014
Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Falls gorgeous and food great, but felt unsafe.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

If you book from Dominical, you will need to pay extra for transportation to get there and back. Once dropped off the guides just give you a horse without much instruction. My husband had a bad experience in the Dominican Republic with a run away horse and was reluctant to go again. So he asked what he should do to control the horse and the guide said, "Just hold on." There was no guide in the front, they just hung in the back.

We rode up to get breakfast which was very good and they even had peacocks and parrots and some monkeys in the area. When getting back on the horse, my husband's horse didn't want to go so the guide whipped it lightly, which made it go around in circles. Later his horse ended up kicking someone else's in the face. My horse hated being around other horses so he kept speeding up to get around them, but once he was in the front he was fine and walked normally.

When we got to the falls it was amazing. Such a great view. The guides then tied a rope around their leg for people to climb and jump off the waterfall. Totally unsafe but it was such a rush. I was more scared of the climbing part than the jumping part and my body was still shaking an hour later. But it was a lot of fun. We had a delicious lunch on the way back.

The tour was average, if the guides gave more instruction about the horses and if there was one in the front leading the way, I think we would've had a better time. Otherwise, the food and the falls were amazing.

1 Thank Stephanie M
Oxford, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Wonderful wonderful tour.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Oh this tour was sooo good. I will remember this trip forever.
i emailed a few times and got no reply, so i wouldnt recommend this way of getting in touch, we ended up ringing through from our accomodation locally. We did not have our own transport, but they offered a collection and drop off transfer at a very reasonable rate.

Once you arrive at the main office, which is on the main road you check in and pay your fees, I think the whole business is a family concern, and Mum seems to run the office. Then you are asked to drive, or are transfered in a van down a steep 1.5km track to the ranch base.

Having had a very positive horseback tour a few days before in montzuma i was excited about this one. They didnt give us any instructions at all, but picked horses for each peson based on how many times they had ridden. All the horses looked very well cared for, whilst im no expert and they were all very placid. We were all helped up onto our horses and then we set off on the first part of the tour. You plod, very gently through the property and it the whole area is just lovely. Very loud secadas in the trees, I saw lots of butterflies and birds. You stop off at the family farm for a fantastic breakfast, half way up. I think it is cooked and served by gran and gran-Daughters! The food was delicious and the setting pretty and very clean, there were rest rooms and water and a freindly couple of Macaws for company. The kids in the party spotted monkeys in the trees and had space to run and play for a while.

Then you set of on the second part of the trip, again a gentle plod. At times the group split as each horse seemed to set its own pace, and i felt the moments alone or in the quite were really wonderful. The guides were always there, I think the guides are the grandsons of the family, just in front or behind each small group of people.

When you arrive at the falls you have a pathway down with two options. the first leads you to a huge waterfall drop which you can view, and climb over some giant rocks to see. its very impressive. Then you can walk back down the path to the second route, which takes you to the main falls. OMG they are so beautiful its hard to believe they are real. They are totally knock out. There is pretty easy acess to the water from a few places, and the water was refreshing and cool. I swam for ages, whilst some of the party chose to climb up the falls using the ropes set up by the guides and jump from the top!
We had plenty time to enjoy the falls and the areas arround them which was really beautiful. There were some changing facilities just up from the falls so you could change and get into dry clothes for the trip back.
You make the same trip back to the family farm for lunch, again a really fantastic lunch, we were served piping hot and delicious food at individual tables. I was really impressed with the professional way the food was served, and presented to a large group.

On the last leg the horses take a detour, and you get to ride and cross a river bed! its so beautiful.

The entire trip was completely enchanting and I am so pleased i did it. I woud say its one of the nicest days ive ever spent on Vacaction!

The overall operation is very well done, safe and easy. You need no experience for the trip and it was comfortable in pace and company. it would suit lots of people, I believe they have a weight limit of 220lb (for the horses comfort).

I hope you love it, it was a genuine highlight of our trip. Great value and a local tico run business.

Spokane, Washington, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“One Of Our Favorite Things”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had so much fun on this tour. It was one of our favorite things we did on our three-week trip to Costa Rica. We aren't that experienced on horses, but we felt safe. We saw a lot of butterflies and it was fun riding a horse through the jungle. The breakfast was delicious and so was the lunch. It was seriously the best coffee we had in Costa Rica too. . .I'm not sure how they prepare it, but it tasted like chocolate! The waterfall was beautiful. We got some pictures at the top and then had plenty of time to swim in the pool below. It was a great day and it was a great price too. We loved it.

Visited January 2014