“Just Go”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This Place and all the staff and owners are top notch. It takes a lot of work, effort and energy to bring the perfect surf trip to us and you. Having just done a week here made me realize what a bargain it really is. It only seems expensive until you go through it. You are treated like a friend here. I was told by the owners its all about having the right people on the team and team Kalon gets it right. They helped me with every request and inquiry I had about getting and navigating things. They have exciting things and plans for their business . I am a tough critic about life and come from a big city. This is the real deal and I could not think higher of a business than these guys. Don't hesitate about this, Just book it and go.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Blackstardeceiver

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I always dreamed of a place like this but honestly never thought it existed until now. I joined 7 other women- all of us looking for an adventure and a bit of pampering. What we got was WAY more. Everything at Kalon is planned to perfection with our needs and wants always in mind. I've been to resorts all around the world, but NOTHING compares to the professionalism and the quality of Kalon. Starting with the staff - so friendly, accommodating and fun to be around. We were like one big family. We laughed, we danced, we surfed and did pilates together. Then there's the food - so fresh, healthy and incredibly delicious. Definitely 5 star. As for accommodations - the mansion is amazing! Immaculate, spacious with tons of great little spots to sit and relax while surrounded by the beauty of the forest and breathtaking views of the ocean. We all loved the infinity pool - great place to hang out and unwind after a hard morning of surfing.
The surfing was the best part of the trip. Starting with the surf instructors - Henry, Roberto and Esteban - these guys were truly an amazing team! These guys were professional yet funny and warm. They never made you feel awkward - instead encouraged and pushed you to perform at higher levels. They exuded so much patience while maintaining a smile and a sense of humour. The lessons were progressive and dialed to our own individual abilities. The daily video analysis (filmed by the great Diego) was really helpful. They take the time to dissect your skills and give you pointers. The videos are also a blast to watch.
The beach we learned at (Playa Hermosa) has a sandy bottom and the water is incredibly warm - making it even more pleasant. We didn't want to leave. On our 4th day of surfing, they took us to Playa Dominicalito to surf the green waves. I never imagined we would be good enough to surf these waves after only 3 days - but we did it! This was an unbelievable day and truly the highlight of my week.
7 days is just NOT long enough - although you get 5 days of surf, a rest day (where we got a wonderful massage and went zip-lining) and tons of rest time - you just want to stay there forever. Our group is already planning our second trip.
Thank you to everyone at Kalon for making this such a perfect dream vacation! I have found my new HAPPY PLACE!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you want to step back and focus on dialing up your surfing skills with hands on support Kalon is the place to go. There are plenty of surf camps in Costa Rica but these guys are at the upper end of the spectrum for a number of reasons. (1) Hands on tuition. We were a small group but everyone got the 1:1 guidance they needed day to day to help raise their surfing game. (2) Daily video analysis is really helpful. Even for beginners its good to step back and see what the more experienced surfers in the group are doing. (3) Food, facilities and mid-week massage really get you in the best shape to focus on the surfing. If you want to get focused on surfing and dial up your skills this is the place to go. If you want to party hard and just have surfing as an afterthought this place won't work for you.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious, clean and well laid out. There is space to chill around the villa and if...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JimBerridge
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This family vacation was so incredible we are already trying to plan a second visit to bring friends. First and foremost, the owners and staff members are incredibly friendly and accommodating. They all went above and beyond to make our vacation fun and stress-free. I can honestly say you can arrive with your bathing suit, flips flops, pajamas and toothbrush and you are set for the week. When they say to pack light, do it. The surf instructors were fun and experienced surfers. My 14 and 11 year old had a great time and became better surfers. On our day off from surfing, the kids chose to stay at the resort and swim even though horseback riding or zip lining was available. The resort was extremely spacious and incredibly clean. There are no words that can adequately describe the natural beauty that surrounds the resort. The sunset is breathtaking. The staff prepares all snacks and meals. They even accommodated our picky son. The meals were delicious and the best part is that we did not cook or drive to a restaurant. I chose to skip a day of surfing to lay on the hammock to read. My husband researched surf resorts for our vacation and the reviews for Kalon were unbeatable. Now we know firsthand why people love Kalon and now you know why we are planning our second trip.

Room Tip: You won't go wrong with any of the rooms. We enjoyed the rooms on the second floor because they...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Everything about this vacation was perfect. The surfing was terrific, and we both advanced tremendously. The food was out of this world, like going to a five-star restaurant in quality and presentation for every meal. Most of all, we could relax when we wanted to.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCPeople
Reviewed February 6, 2013

It's a fair question - the world's a large place, with many places to see and many breaks to surf, so why would a person return to the same place three times (with plans to do so again)?

My answer is simple: each visit to Kalon Surf has been great, so I know what I'm getting in terms of a total experience. But Kalon also deserves credit for never resting on its laurels. Each return visit introduces something new, something that makes each trip equally unique and memorable. This is why I almost always book my next trip while I'm still there.

To provide a few examples of what I mean, on my most recent trip Marcela happily arranged for someone to come and give me Spanish lessons so that I could at least express my thanks in the local language. One area where thanks is definitely due is the wonderful food - it is healthy and high quality, with many meals focusing on local specialities and using local ingredients. I took several recipes home with me and failed miserably in recreating the tastiness of the food I had at Kalon. A person works up a healthy appetite surfing for several hours a day, and to be rewarded with such interesting, delicious food is one of many perks of visiting Kalon.

Another great aspect of the experience is the people. The staff has the closeness of a family, and when you're there, you become a member of this family. They take great pride in sharing their local community with the guests. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. The guests are also very interesting - from people surfing for the first time to savvy veterans, from business persons to artists and artisans to doctors and lawyers, it is a diverse mix of people from a variety of backgrounds. Imagine the following: you've spent several hours surfing in warm waters and then had a video review of what you've learned, and as your hunger builds you then end the day over a great meal with lively conversation on a balcony that overlooks the Pacific as the sun sets (or perhaps during a spectacular lightning show). And you get to repeat it for several days running. This is why I return so often: the certainty of a high quality experience mixed in with daily, unexpected surprises among warm, friendly people.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ned S
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wow! What a great adventure and life changing experience! I first started reviewing surf resorts when wanting to surprise my man with a trip. I finally decided on Kalon surf. I figured a luxury surf resort would be a trip in itself and if I learned to surf than that was icing on the cake.
Marcela was my contact and she was sweet, professional and accommodated all of my requests, from choosing a room to locating a place to donate school supplies & clothing. From the moment we got picked up in San Jose until we returned to the airport everything & everyone was top notch!
When we arrived at the resort we were welcomed with fresh fruits and a refreshing juice concoction. We were able to help ourselves to cold beers and wine 24-7 from the fridge.
The breakfasts were plentiful and just what we needed to get rolling in the mornings. Lunch and Dinners were served with beautiful presentation, taste and I think the the chefs threw some love in there for good measure!
Our room (Jungle room) had a picture window and a second door leading out to nice patio which was great for meditation or Pilates. However, we just loved that we had Toucans, Capuchin monkeys and even the elusive 3 toed tree sloth hanging out and welcoming us each day!
SURFING...ya baby this is what you come for! Let me start by saying YES you can teach a dog new tricks! Thanks to Roberto & Estefan I went from a beach bum to a surfer! From my first wave I was up and riding all the way into shore. Over the next few days I could feel and SEE (due to the video analysis) my progression. The video analysis is fun and inspiring as you get to hone in what you are doing right...and wrong ;)
The first couple of days were afternoon sessions so you could feel like you were on vacation w/o having early mornings. These were great as the sun was setting at the end of the day, beautiful. The morning sessions were cool because you were up with the sun and just totally communing with nature. WEDNESDAY was massage day and OH so needed. You will be sore in places you didn't imagine but it's worth every ache! BTW my husband was totally shredding by the end of the week and it was his FIRST time as well!
My husband and I have been officially bitten by the surfing bug...our lives have been enriched and we look forward to this new chapter in our lives together...as surfers!
Pura Vida baby!
Angie & Dan Novigrod

Room Tip: The jungle room was great...loved it's privacy. The pool is chilly in December.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AngieMiami
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
5 mi away
#4 of 14 in Dominical
Hotel Cuna del Angel
Hotel Cuna del Angel
#2 of 14 in Dominical

Been to Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort? Share your experiences!