“Pura Vida”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort
Nashville, TN
“Pura Vida”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Kalon is in a private, sunny house on the top of a hill with a stunning view of the surf and the sunset. The water's warm, the waves are perfect and the food is healthy and delicious, but it is the people that give Kalon a really special vibe that makes it such a magical spot.
Everyone takes their job very seriously, everyone works hard, but you can tell they all think they have the best job ever.
Kalon doesn't feel like a hotel or a resort. It feels like you are visiting friends (really welcoming and gracious friends who are lucky enough to live by a consistent surf break in Costa Rica), surfing with their friends (who are awesome surfers and they really want you to be too) and that every night's a dinner party (your friends even have a friend who is a great cook!). They have dogs, they like to watch surf films and they are tapped into the surfing world. That is what makes it so hard to leave and hopefully equally easy to return to.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
brunswick
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Let me start by saying they did everything for us. We missed our plane and didn't get in to San Jose until 1am and to our relief our driver was waiting for us. We took the 3 hr. ride in to Dominical and slept until the sun woke us. We stayed in a beautiful room that overlooked the pacific and watched the sun set every night. The People who make up Kalon are awesome! They made sure we had everything we needed. My husband said it was the best days of his life. I thought it would be a close second to our wedding, but.....
Marcela, Kjeld, Jossue, Roberto and Juan are sweet, kind people who really make guest feel like family. We loved our time with them.
And the surfing was consistent. Great waves at a great beach. The instruction from the guys was really personalized and they were patient. When you caught a wave, the smiles on their
faces were as if they caught it themselves.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diana c
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Just got back from a week at Kalon Surf and it was exactly what I was looking for, which was a fairly lux surfing trip with not a lot of distraction. I've traveled through Costa Rica before and I'd say that both the accommodations and food were better than anything else I've experienced except the Four Seasons (which while very nice is a little corporate and not near any surfing). The house was beautiful and very new, and each room was quite private.

If you're there, though, it's mostly for the surfing, and for me it was a great balance - 5 days of in the water 2+ hours per day, plus video analysis after each session and on land practice. What worked exceptionally well for me was that balance between practical and theoretical. The instructors (Josue and Roberto) are young and extremely good hardcore surfers who get you placed properly in the water, and work on form, timing, paddling etc. (and are very friendly and nonjudgmental). Kjeld, who owns the school, really helps understand the theoretical - from when you want to go and why, to how wave and board shapes work and affect your surfing.

Marcela is fantastic and basically runs the show, and takes care of anything you could want with a smile.

Highly recommend Kalon Surf, and likely to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
London
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We arrived on New Years Day late at night, slightly tired after attending a wedding in Colombia and wondering if we were up for 4 days of surfing. The next morning all possible concerns were gone the moment we woke up and saw the Pacific, looked around at the beautiful house and realised that we found our small paradise here in Costa Rica. This feeling never left us the days we spend together with the Kalon team.
Having only done some windsurfing in the past (which was of little use I discovered), the surf coaches made you feel eager to go and keep having fun, even if you kept on falling off the board. The video analysis made actually learning how to surf easier and quicker because you could see where you could improve. The most impressed I was when my 12 year old daughter was struggling and the whole team supported her and got her going again. I think they were even clapping, whistling and yelling louder than she was when she rode her first waves again. I think anyone that wants to learn or improve how to surf can benefit from the Kalon Surf approach. My body was tired but I wanted to keep on going surfing, so enjoyable was it !
Besides the surfing, the most impressive was how all other elements of the experience like the house, the rooms, the food and the Kalon team came together to give you the feeling that you are staying with some old friends who do their best to make you feel at home because they want you to stay as long as you want and come back whenever you feel like. If that was the intention then it worked for a 100%, since my daughter already asked when we are going back and with nowadays the easy connections between Europe and Costa Rica, this will certainly happen !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hsholland
Munich, Germany
Reviewed December 22, 2011

For this years vacation I was searching for a unique spot where I can learn surfing. If the hotel was nice and the area would be nice even better. And if the people there would be cool it would even be great.

But: this stay at the Kalon Surf School exceeded my expectations.

First: The house where we stayed was a cool James Bond Villa with a stunning view over the Pacific Ocean. The room was cool, clean, there was an own terrasse with an own hammock. The villa is situated in the middle of the jungle, you can see and hear so many animals, it was amazing. And: the food was delicious.

Second: The surf lessons were absolutely professional and fun. I was teached surfing step by step, beginning from small white water waves until I was riding breathtaking bluewater waves. Yes guys, I saw a lot in my life but you will NEVER forget your first wave! And: the beaches where we have been were unique.

Third and most important: The team consisting of the owner Kjeld and the very nice people around him made my stay perfect. When I came there it felt like visiting friends whom I know for a long time. They gave me an warm welcome, let my enjoy my stay wonderfully and made it really hard to leave these marvellous people.

All in all: it was a stay which I will never forget and always look back to it until I will be there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Utah
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I was lucky enough to spend four days and five at Kalon Surf in November. My primary objective in going to Kalon was to get some first class surfing instruction and was not disappointed. Jossue and Roberto are top-notch instructors. (Jossue also does an awesome backflip from the rope swing at the waterfall!) The extensive use of video analysis was an invaluable training aid. Everything at Kalon Surf is all inclusive from pickup and return at the airport to three incredible meals a day. The accomodations at Kalon are also first class. It didn't take long until I felt more like I was staying with old friends than just a guest. Many thanks to Kjeld, Marcela, Jossue, Roberta and Sabrina (and Kala!) for making me feel so welcome. Unfortunately, my wife was not able to make the trip with me but I've already booked a return trip for both of us in April.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Trip, after trip, after trip.. Falling into a routine with vacations can happen almost as quickly as our daily agenda. Same destinations, hotels, and restaurants, until you realize that you want to try something new, different and maybe a little spontaneous. Well, we were no different. And thankfully, those thoughts lead us directly to Kalon Surf.

Hands down, without a doubt the absolute best vacation. My boyfriend and I booked out surfing adventure TWO days before we left. Rob had surfed a little back in college. But myself, being a Louisiana native, never mixed alligators and surf boards. So we tried out luck with a trip that guaranteed the best surfing experience. And it was nothing short of successful!

The accommodations were wonderful, but the service and camaraderie was top notch. The people who initially were your coach, photographer, coordinator, and cook quickly became new best friends. Everyone went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and enjoying out stay. You will never meet a group of individuals who love what they do more than everyone at Kalon!

The layout of the trip was exactly what we were looking for. Adventure and activity with a side of relaxation. Surfing early morning and afternoon was a great workout, and made the midday lunch, movies, games, and lounging much appreciated. There was never a short supply of incredible food, drinks, smoothies, pineapple and the famous brownies! Having video analysis of each surfing session was the key to leaning and improving the way we surfed. It is always easy for someone to describe what to do, but see yourself in action creates a different realm of learning. Plus having some insane photography to prove to everyone back home how amazing the trip was is definitely a plus!

We began as intimidated paddlers on boards and ended surfing with the locals. Regardless of your level of experience you will leave Kalon Surf a better and stronger surfer. We are forever thankful for the incredible memories and experience that everyone at Kalon provided us... but they haven't seen the last of us! We are currently planning out next getaway to beautiful Domincal, for a reunion with some of our new best friends!

If you're looking for the perfect wave.... look no further than Kalon Surf Camp!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A-DubNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge & Spa
Roca Verde
Roca Verde
#9 of 14 in Dominical

Been to Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort? Share your experiences!