“Great experience”

Costa Rica Dive and Surf
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving and Surf School, Tours to Cano Island and Whales Tale Marine Reserve. Padi Diving Courses, Surf School and Surf Board Rentals. Waterfall Tours, Whitewater Rafting tours and Adventure Guide School for Diving, Surfing and Whitewater Rafting.
San Francisco, California
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have never experience more attentive dive staff. They prepared my gear and helped me put it on, filled my water cup, and served homemade juice and lunch. I told one staff person "I feel babied" and she said "you're on vacation, you should be cared for." I enjoyed it. We went on the dive to Cano Island and saw many sharks, huge schools of fish, and a giant sea turtle. It was my most memorable dive trip and a great way to start our vacation in Costa Rica.

Houston, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Dive Spot Great Dive Shop!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Had not been diving in years and what a way to get back into it. This dive shop is top of the line with fantastic Dive Masters/tour guides. They bent over backwards to make this great trip. Am planning to go back to them and their dives at Isla del Cano. If you can go...Go!!!

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Unprofessional - Buyer Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Buyer Beware with these guys. We decided to join a dive trip last minute that was heading out with 4 divers and 2 instructors the following morning. Paid a cash deposit of $150 for a $320 2 -tank dive for 2 to Cano Island and were ready to be back at the dive shop the following morning at 6:45am. That night my husband got hit with some terrible sunstroke and was up all night in the bathroom. Come 6am neither of us had slept and his heart was still racing, so we decided he wouldn't go on the dive and it wouldn't be smart for me to leave him for the day.
I headed into the dive shop first thing when they opened at 6am and told the crew there that we wouldn't be joining. The crew then launched into some big speach about how they couldn't return any of our $150 deposit as they'd already spent it on our costs. Really? You blew $150 in 12 hours on us joining a pre-planned dive trip? Unlikely. They told me that they'd already paid our boat transfer (ya right) and that they had to hire more people to come on our dive (not the case, there was already 2 instructors going out with the 4 divers), and that they'd packed our lunch (valid point, but it's Costa Rica, lunch probably cost them $10/head max). I told them I was willing to pay for our lunch and any costs that they'd incurred, but knew that it wasn't $150 so would be happy negotiate. They said that the owner, Richard, was the only one that could do this and that he would be back at 11am. So I leave. We come back at 11am to meet Richard and Richard isn't there, in fact, he now won't be in till 3pm. Not impressed and thinking that something fishy is going on here. So we leave and go back at 3pm, no Richard again.

My thoughts - dive elsewhere. These guys clearly could care less about their reputations or about confronting issues that come up. I was willing to negotiate and lose a fair amount of my deposit for their costs, but now $150 of our diving budget for the trip is gone because none of their crew were professional enough to deal with the issue.

Richard - i'm happy to take this post down if you want to man up and negotiate, I know we cost you $20 for lunch and am willing to buck up for your time... but that wasn't $130.

7 Thank Canadianloogif
Costaricadiveandsurf, Owner at Costa Rica Dive and Surf, responded to this review, January 24, 2016
WOW!!! Finally we are back on trip advisor and would love to negotiate with you regarding the following and get this post removed, as its really effecting our rating at this point.

Our costs to the island are the following:

pre paid 24 hours sometimes more fyi as costa rican national parks are getting very strict

park fee's $20 for divers
food $8 per person
guides $80 per 4 pax so for you lets call it $20 per person.
gas $170 based on weight and number of people.

Obviously we do no except cancelations the day of the tour, nor do we give refunds on the deposit we require prior to the tour. That is why we take a deposit and reserve the spaces, as well as cancel other potential clients. We are also not the type of dive shop that punishes people for getting hurt and not able to make a tour. We understand things happen while on vacation. We have been at this 9 years now and know how it goes sometimes. Call me and lets get this sorted out, I'm really sorry this review has taken me this long to get back to. Michael 707 331 4447

PS all clients are recommended to ensure you understand our cancelation policies when you hand over a deposit, although as I mentioned if there is a special case, we can negotiate refunds, but typically if you cancel the morning of a tour, no refund will be issued.
Anchorage, Alaska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very good time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

The best dive I had in Costa Rica. Cano Island dive is awesome. The dive guides are very friendly and helpful. Equipment is well used but functional and none of party any trouble with any of the equipment provided. Thank you Marta for pointing out all the good sutff.

wyoming
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Professional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

My wife and I did a dive trip with CR dive and surf this last week. Divemasters Roberto and Marta (spelling?) were very professional. We did Cano island. We stayed in Uvita and were picked up there. The visabilty was not as great as normal, however the fish viewing was good.

I would recommend their service.