I cannot possibly think of a better way to describe our experience at Villas Alturas than "tranquil." And while I'm not precisely sure what the definition of pure vida is, I think Villas Alturas is pure vida.
I am not big on relaxing. But this was a rare experience for me because I felt calm and content at this resort, enjoying the moment. In most instances the magnitude of the experience is recognized after the fact. Here, I was contemporaneously aware of the magical memory that was being made.
The pool deck is superb. From the restaurant sitting area, looking out upon the pool and deck, it felt to me as if I was sitting on an ocean liner and peering out toward the ocean over the bow of the ship. The bamboo fence spokes appeared to be a ship's rail.
We stayed in Villa #3. Although I only viewed the other villas from the outside, I believe that #3 is the crown jewel. It is situated just in front of, and below the pool deck. All units have decks, but this one was particularly amazing. It was also the most comfortable lodging we had during our stay, which was nice considering we stayed here for our final two nights.
We did have a four by four, and therefore had no trouble navigating the steep, dirt road up to
Villas Alturas. It is an interesting journey in and of itself. As an aside, we rented a vehicle through Vamos 4X4 and were very glad that we did. I had heard stories about driving being particularly difficult in Costa Rica. I did not find that to be true at all especially away from the San Jose area. Still, Costa Rica drivers are quite tame compared to New Yorkers/
Finally, Villas Alturas was listed as the second most popular property in the area, after Costa Paraiso. That seemed hard to believe. What could be better. Well, we had a nice dinner at that property's "Por Que No" restaurant. It is located on a magnificent rocky beach (not what we are used to in Ft. Lauderdale). Hated the parking lot at Costa Paraiso as it was quite an adventure maneuvering. From my perspective, Costa Paraiso has a rugged beauty in a somewhat congested sense. If you want to be steps from the beach, that's your answer, but you would be giving up the tranquility of Villas Alturas. For me, Villas Alturas is a no brainer as far as where to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Alturas offers the perfect combination of peace and quiet, views, sun, beach and adventure. Situated in the Costa Ballena area, only 35 minutes south of Manuel Antonio, you can enjoy the cool beachy vibe of Dominical 15 min away, explore the Marino Ballena National Park in Uvita or sample the international cuisine offered in Ojochal. Villas Alturas offers a complimentary breakfast every morning and the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day. We will plan and book all of your tours as well as help you to connect with all of the local free adventures. Barbque grill, free parking, a/c bedrooms, great pool area with an incredible views! Our road was improved in December, 2013 very easily accessible. We can accommodate 30+ people for your parties, destination wedding or any other event. Time to breathe . . . Terms and Conditions ---------------------------------------------- AMEX is not accepted at this time Payment Policy: Rates include breakfast and daily maid service. Sheets are changed every third day. (Breakfast that is included in the rate for a One Bedroom Villa is for 2 people, Breakfast for a Two Bedroom Villa is for 4 people. ) Above rates INCLUDE 13% sales tax for the room only. A 10% service charge plus tax will be added to all restaurant and bar purchases. Management reserves the right to POSSIBLY withhold deposit per their discretion at time of reservation and is as follows: 50% of reservation is due at the time of booking. The remaining 50% is due at check out. The maximum guests in our villas is 2 per bedroom plus one additional if the villa contains a futon. Check-in time is 2:00pm. Check-out time is 10am. Early check-in and late check-out are subject to availability and may incur a charge. High season is December through April excluding holidays. Green season is May through November. Holiday rates apply December 20th through January 5th and require a 5 night minimum stay. Management declines all responsibility for valuables left in the villas. Cancellation Policy: There is no refund if cancellation is made 14 days or less prior to the reservation date. When cancellation notification is received between 15 and 30 days prior to the reservation, a $50 processing fee per room will be charged. Payment will be forfeited if guest(s) arrive after the specific date of reservation or depart prior to final day of reservation. All cancellations need to be sent via e-mail. A cancellation is not confirmed until you have received an email or fax confirmation from us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Villas Alturas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Alturas Hotel Dominical
- Villas Alturas Costa Rica/Dominical