We stayed here for about 4 days this December & relied heavily on Scott for references to do things around the area & restaurants. And he was just great! Scott directed us to go to San Gerardo De Dotto that became the highlight of our Costa Rica vacay - magnificent area! He also told us about little things like Mariane's cafe there, the art gallery - things off the beaten path that we really enjoyed. We really enjoyed Scott's restaurant recommendations too! He had arranged for a hat and sun glasses for me for an early morning boat ride, when I had forgotten mine at a restaurant the night before - very, very helpful!
Food here is very good (& its coming from a picky NYC eater!) The swimming pool area overlooking the ocean is really relaxing & the staff goes all out trying to make your time in the area as nice as possible.
Our cabin was set up like an apartment. We only had a partial view from our cabin #1 but it was comfortable. Best of all, it had an AC in the bedroom - woot!
One thing that took us by surprise & would've been good to know ahead of time- you can't flush TP down the toilet and that is true for the entire area, not just Villas Alturas :)
The few things that could be improved upon are -
1. Signage from the main road: there is only 1 sign right outside the entrance & it is super easy to miss, which we did!
2. No lights at the entrance from the main road - we were driving in the dark & twice in the rain & we missed the entrance twice! And this was towards the end of our stay too. So it would be super helpful to have a street light right at the entrance of the road to the villa off of the main road.
3. Cleaning - our bathroom wasn't cleaned, just the trash taken out. We could've used a cleaner bath mat after the 2nd day since we dragged in mud & sand with our feet. But we didn't get a replacement for the dirty one so we had to use towels. The sink & other areas weren't cleaned either which we were very surprised about. We didn't want to complain b/c we were hardly ever in the room.
Overall, I would stay here again if is was in the area!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Alturas offers the perfect combination of peace and quiet, views, sun, beach and adventure. Situated in the Costa Ballena area, only 35 minutes south of Manuel Antonio, you can enjoy the cool beachy vibe of Dominical 15 min away, explore the Marino Ballena National Park in Uvita or sample the international cuisine offered in Ojochal. Villas Alturas offers a complimentary breakfast every morning and the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day. We will plan and book all of your tours as well as help you to connect with all of the local free adventures. Barbque grill, free parking, a/c bedrooms, great pool area with an incredible views! Our road was improved in December, 2013 very easily accessible. We can accommodate 30+ people for your parties, destination wedding or any other event. Time to breathe . . . Terms and Conditions ---------------------------------------------- AMEX is not accepted at this time Payment Policy: Rates include breakfast and daily maid service. Sheets are changed every third day. (Breakfast that is included in the rate for a One Bedroom Villa is for 2 people, Breakfast for a Two Bedroom Villa is for 4 people. ) Above rates INCLUDE 13% sales tax for the room only. A 10% service charge plus tax will be added to all restaurant and bar purchases. Management reserves the right to POSSIBLY withhold deposit per their discretion at time of reservation and is as follows: 50% of reservation is due at the time of booking. The remaining 50% is due at check out. The maximum guests in our villas is 2 per bedroom plus one additional if the villa contains a futon. Check-in time is 2:00pm. Check-out time is 10am. Early check-in and late check-out are subject to availability and may incur a charge. High season is December through April excluding holidays. Green season is May through November. Holiday rates apply December 20th through January 5th and require a 5 night minimum stay. Management declines all responsibility for valuables left in the villas. Cancellation Policy: There is no refund if cancellation is made 14 days or less prior to the reservation date. When cancellation notification is received between 15 and 30 days prior to the reservation, a $50 processing fee per room will be charged. Payment will be forfeited if guest(s) arrive after the specific date of reservation or depart prior to final day of reservation. All cancellations need to be sent via e-mail. A cancellation is not confirmed until you have received an email or fax confirmation from us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Villas Alturas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Alturas Hotel Dominical
- Villas Alturas Costa Rica/Dominical