“This place will change your life”
Review of Farm of Life

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Farm of Life
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Once in a while we encounter people, places, books, films or images that change our lives. This place is one of them. Just get a proper perspective, consider this: this place has no address. Yes there is no mail man coming around everyday. Nor would you see single policeman around this area or nearby. If you want a vacation that truly transforms your body and soul, then I highly recommend this place. You will never feel like a tourist. Instead you will feel like a vibrant being soaking up the sun, flowers, fresh air, incredible views, great organic food.

As other reviewers mentioned, Jodie and Brian are wonderful hosts: warm, witty, fun, non-dogmatic, generous, young, innovative, and respectful. Their intern Wilco who is extremely knowledgeable about many things but also a great person is someone you wish to meet when traveling but never do. Their dogs are unexpected bonus to this trip- be prepare to love as they will demand to be loved!

We spent 10 days here and the remaining 10 days else where near the beach. I must say that I missed Finca de Vida as soon as I left the place. All other places we went to, paled in comparison and we soon felt like the regular tourists doing typical tourists things. It didn't matter that some other places we stayed had better beds, fancier food, or convenience.

It has been more than a month since we came back from Costa Rica. Sometimes when I can't sleep at night listening to sound of ambulance or traffic noise, all of sudden I will hear Jodie's deep hearty laughter or see Max the dog's face asking you to throw the frisbee one more time or Mambo (the oldest dog) sitting quietly gazing at the down pouring rain.

This is a place for extraordinary experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life. I consider myself truly lucky.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Farm of Life

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I LOVE FINCA DE VIDA and I know you will love it too.

I can't think of a better place to enjoy your holiday or really focus on some healing. This valley is absolutely divine, with spectacular views, fresh water straight from a natural "birth spring" and plenty of sun.

Hosts Brian and Jodi offer fully-catered wellness and social retreats, but they also offer a self-catered option, which is what I chose. They were very generous to me going above-and-beyond what was offered on paper with unexpected gratuities that made all the difference. They arranged transport for me, booked a dental appointment when required and Jodi translated things from English to Español for me. They even shared their precious personal stash of healthy nibbles with me! (Don't tell them I told you).

In your unbelievably affordable nightly price of $38.50 to 55.00 you get as much free organic food as you can eat from the kitchen. You can choose from vegetarian, vegan, raw food, fruitarian health-food diets, you have free access to the yoga platform, wifi, and the room is turned over three days. Not only that but there are amazing waterfalls and natural springs in walking distance that you can travel to, or you can take a day trip down to any one of the amazing costal beaches that pepper the area. Brian and Jodi are health professionals who can offer an individual coaching plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. This is a great place to recover, revitalize, heal or just have fun! We even enjoyed the odd cinema night!

Room:
Designer cabins with gorgeous outdoor or indoor showers, with optional 360 views of the valley and ocean. A private deck on each room and a romantic mosquito net around each bed. I ended up getting one of these made to take home with me!

Other services:
They can arrange tours, massage, day spas, whatever you want. They can prepare meals for you if you prefer at a very reasonable price.

Overall I really appreciate the ethic of this place, for these guys it's all about offering health and wellness options that are affordable to normal, every-day people. It's about their deep personal belief in helping people heal and experience a genuine reconnection with nature.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We were looking for a place that catered to vegetarians, provided easy access to good hikes, was environmentally conscious, not too expensive, charming, and not too hard to get to. We were directed to Finca de Vida from a raw food website. It looked nice and the prices were reasonable. I was so excited because they were hosting a week long raw foods retreat during the days I planned to stay. This place is more than what the website conveys. It is a little off the beaten path, but so worth the journey. We were taken on beautiful guided hikes to the most incredible waterfalls and gardens. The owners of the farm and the retreat facilitator were great educators and so much fun. They conveyed the importance of sustainability and the benefits of raw foods without being judgemental or preachy. We really made some good friends here! I wish I could've stayed for the entire retreat. It was like an all inclusive for people with a conscious! We stayed in the house that has 3 bedrooms and a shared bath, kitchen and small living room. It was downhill from the common areas. I think I'd prefer the rooms up closer to the common areas. There were a few new rooms being completed while we were there that are going to be fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluehen11
Reviewed May 4, 2010

"Another day in Paradise" was what ran through my mind each day I woke up and walked around the farm of life, what a beautiful place with amazing energy. Brian and Jody (the hosts) are amazing people with a lot of love and healing education to give. Any time I travel to Central America I will be sure to stop by.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I was told about this resort location by a Doctor of PT in Atlanta, GA and just finished a one week retreat that the Doctor facilitated. I was not sure quite what to expect although I was told it was a very special and beautiful place with lots of eco adventure activities close by. It was a bit of a drive into the mountains to get there but once we were there, I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of the facility, services, staff, food served and the adventures close by. I personally give this resort a high recommendation to everyone I know with the exception of elderly people since it may be a bit much of a drive off the highway on back roads to get there. This is an awesome place for anyone between the ages of 20 to 70 years old that live an active lifestyle and want to go next level with their health.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Finca de Vida is a true paradise! I have run a few health and healing retreats at this location and plan to run many more in the future. This is definitely a "health facilitator's dream" come true! The owners (Brian and Jody Calvi) are warm-hearted, conscious people whose mission is to help others become happier and healthier (and make it affordable). Finca de Vida is top-notch regarding delicious organic food, beautiful landscape, comfortable accomodations and plenty of eco-adventures. This place is truly fun and magical. I believe that Finca de Vida will become a favorite travel destination in Costa Rica for many people across the globe.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank drsampt
Reviewed May 2, 2010

It is truly a place of immense beauty. To be breathing clean air, drink the purest water, and eat the most delicious, fresh, organic, right from the tree, fruits in all shapes and tastes, becomes a daily delight and ecstasy. We have forgotten about these healing treasures and need to re-connect with them.

I sincerely recommend this beautiful place, full of love and passion, for all of you out there looking to find a way to yourself again.

Wilco Hermans, HD, Ph.D.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Polly_1086
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
Waterfall Villas
Oxygen Jungle Villas
Oxygen Jungle Villas
#1 of 13 in Uvita
Kura Design Villas Uvita

Been to Farm of Life? Share your experiences!