I wasn't looking for a vacation or a wellness retreat when I found Finca de Vida on an herbalist's website online, but it kept calling to me! I had reached a plateau in my wellness journey (read losing weight!) and thought this would be a great way to revitalize my determination to live better and feel better. After finding out there was WiFi and I could stay in touch with clients, I decided to take advantage of the 30 day, Green/Rainy season discount and just hang, eat healthy from their green house, work 4 hours a day and enjoy being in Costa Rica, alone (on purpose!), and away from the Texas summer heat. I have to admit I am not a committed raw vegan, but was willing to give it a go, armed with pounds of raw nuts (which I learned later aren't truly raw in the US, something about requiring them to be toasted), packets of raw, vegan protein powder drinks and raw, vegan energy bars so I wouldn't starve. Fortunately for me, I signed up for health coaching, learned a lot and lost enough weight to leave all of my jeans behind! And, I pretty much gave away all of the stuff I brought with me, didn't need it!
If you read other reviewers, you'll see lots of praise for how non-judgmental Brian and Jody are, and I'll join that chorus. I had one of those "What am I thinking, I'm going to spend 1 month with people I don't know, what if they are crazy raw zealots???" pre-trip jittery moments. Not to worry, Brian and Jody are both interested in being of service, meeting people where they are, and letting each of us take our own journey. They are not the raw police by any means! Just good examples.
Read Lindsay's review to see why I didn't give 5 stars....no where to grow, but I've already recommended this to friends, so recommend it to you, too! Don't bother stocking up on nuts and stuff from home, seeds to sprout maybe, but leave the energy bars that mix fruit and nuts at home! They go to market every week to supplement their green house. The fruit is so much sweeter and better than what we see in the store, you can't go wrong!
I noticed that a common comment was that people wished they had stayed longer, I'll join that chorus too! I do wish that I had spent the week BEFORE my month at FdV touring Costa Rica with a friend, rather than the week after, as it was a tough change. I actually chose a cabin in Puerto Viejo because it had a blender (not a juicer or a Vitamix, a plain old blender) so that I could make as close to a green juice as possible!
Farm of Life is not for everybody, but if you want a great introduction to the raw vegan life in a beautiful setting, give it a go! I think the August-September time is great. The nights are cool (and can even be cold!), days are cool to warm, not hot. Fruits are on the tree, flowers abound, the rainy afternoon makes you slow down, read, nap, or try new things in the kitchen. So, here are the reasons NOT to go to Finca de Vida:
1. To work on your Spanish --except for coming and going, and to talk to the family that lives at the trail head to Peace Falls.
2. If you don't want to make new friends and feel like part of the family, a family that includes 4 very special dogs (who want to eat your watermelon and papaya rinds, quite entertaining!) and an offbeat cat.
3. If you have no interest in learning anything new
4. If you don't like the idea of living outside and being entertained by the wildlife...if you are afraid of insects, you won't enjoy the communal kitchen or kicking back in the dining area, we had some awesome butterflies, moths, grasshoppers, katydids and beetles come through!
5. If you want an all inclusive resort experience. Brian and Jody are committed to making FdV affordable, and they know the temptations some of us may have 'off-campus'. With the beautiful grounds, trails, vitality (cool) pools, birds and plentiful food, it could be an all inclusive, on-site experience. There are lots of great excursions offered, and each one has a very reasonable fee, as does asking the chef to prepare dinner. Warning, do not let Amanda cook for you everyday if you want to lose weight! She makes KILLER desserts! That's probably the reason I would have stayed longer, to do more trips!
Okay, message me if you have any questions, or are looking for someone to take there with you to help you make the transit from San Jose, and want someone to caretake your stay there! My next career move, that's how much I loved this life-changing place and people!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Costa Rica Vacation for the Healthy Lifestyle. Thrive on delicious raw food, vegan and vegetarian food. Prepare your meals in our beautiful communal kitchen, using fresh, organic food and the harvest from our organic farm. Or, opt for Chef-prepared meals. Revive your body and spirit with detox, health coaching, yoga, spa services and eco-tours. Enjoy waterfalls, wildlife, beaches, jungle & mountain hikes. Affordable accommodations with modern amenities. A serene setting atop a lush green valley with spectacular views, pleasant temperatures and stunning Pacific sunsets. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Farm Of Life (Finca De Vida) Hotel Dominical
- Farm Of Life (Finca De Vida) Costa Rica/Dominical