“Simply and refreshingly the VERY best ice cream in Costa Rica”
Review of Ruby's Homemade Ice Cream - CLOSED

Ruby's Homemade Ice Cream
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Description: Come by and enjoy the best ice cream in the area.
Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply and refreshingly the VERY best ice cream in Costa Rica”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have had Ruby's ice cream 4 times now and each time I am so thrilled with the flavor varieties...all made of fresh, natural and local ingredients. Mango, Pina, real Vanilla, the darkest Chocolate, Coconut...and my favorite rich Coffee are just a few of the flovors I have tasted. I am an ice cream nut and have eaten it all over the world. This is the cream of the crop, I promise. He makes his own handmade waffle cones, too. It is the perfect after dinner treat...worth driving from Uvita to get a scoop.
Thanks for the great service, too.

Frannie

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank FFV

memphis
“Absolutely awesome ice cream!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Seven of us visited Ruby's today and were blown away by this fantastic ice cream! They actually had Pistachio that rivaled the gelato we had in Italy. Their cookies and cream is to die for! We'll be bringing anyone who visits us for this awesome treat.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank nikkiMemphis
Harvard, Massachusetts
“Best Ice Cream in Costa Rica”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I've owned a house in CR for 18 years and done a lot of traveling in the country, so trust me, this is easily the best ice cream in CR. You will also pay US prices -- $4 for a double scoop, $4.50 if it includes the homemade waffle cone -- but it's well worth it.

The owner could actually be a bit more creative in his flavor selections; for example, a Costa Rican ice cream shop cries out to have banafee (banana-coffee) as a flavor, which the amazing Steve's Ice Cream in Boston once did (and sold plenty). There's chocolate, but why not mocha, considering the great coffee in CR? Why no mango (heck, I've made it myself -- mango ice cream, not sorbet -- and it's great)?

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank paraisodemonteverde
Seattle
“Great ice cream”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Made with fresh ingredients by a New York chef, this ice cream is worth trying. We weren't able to get every flavor every day because the chef buys his fruit from the delivery truck on Tuesdays and has to work with what he can get. We had to extend our visit and make an extra Wednesday stop to try his passion fruit ice cream, but it was worth waiting for. We tried several flavors, including passion fruit, pineapple, coconut, and chocolate, and didn't find one we didn't like. Personally, I most enjoyed the tropical fruit flavors.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank MedievalWoman
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Ice Cream on the Planet”
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My trip to Dominical wouldn't have been nearly as good without Ruby's. Not only was the ice cream fabulous (I highly recommend banana & chocolate) but the owner, Brian, was very helpful in getting us acclimated to the area with great advice and suggestions.

• Visited March 2011