“The only place in all of Dominical I would advise to avoid~!”
Review of Maracatu

Maracatu
Ranked #22 of 49 Restaurants in Dominical
Cuisines: Asian, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Maracatu has been providing Dominical with a one of a kind experience since 2005. We pride ourselves on having found the perfect balance of good vibes, healthy food, great nightlife, a warm ambience, varied world music and environmental responsibility. Every aspect of Maracatu has been created and evolved with a lot of care and intention. As Hippocrates once said "Let Food be Thy Medicine," we are committed to provide as much local, organic, whole food ingredients as possible, often times coming from our organic sister farm, Selva Armonia. Maracatu has also raised the bar on nightlife in the southern zone of Costa Rica. With a unique artistic ambience and a passion for good live music we have helped put Dominical on the map. Come check out Ladies Night on Wednesdays, the most popular night in the zone. Follow us on Facebook to find out about up and coming events at Maracatu!
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My wife and I decided to try this place while we were staying in Dominical for our honeymoon. Things got bad right away.

We walked up, and sat on the patio outside. The place was dead(it was a wed night in the green season), with only 2 sets of people in the bar drinking and sitting. After about 10 minutes, a family of 5 walks up off the street, sits down at the table next to us, and only then did the waitress decide to make an appearance, and waited on them before us (even tho I had walked by her 5 minutes prior, and made eye contact while on my way to use the restroom) . Maybe she didn't remember me because she was too busy texting on her phone?. Once we placed our order, another 20 minutes had passed, and the family of 5 receives their food first. 10 minutes later, our food arrives.

On their POSH, NEW YORK styled menu, they brag about their organic ingredients and everything sounds so yummy. Not the case when the food is actually served. I found this food far below even the most basic soda's in Dominical. Not to mention everything cost 30% more then most places in town, and that isn't even before they jack on an additional 23% in taxes.

After trying basically every place in town, this would be the only place that I would highly recommend passing up.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Service was awful. Food (besides the guac) was mediocre at best and way overpriced. Like reviewers before mentioned add 23% to the price you see in the menu. The dining room looks nice, but I'd rather have a tasty meal at one of the other less pretentious establishments in town.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I visit this restaurant every time I visit the Dominical area. Being vegan, most of my meals in Costa Rica is rice and beans or vegetable stir fry, So it is apleasant change to be able to eat a veggie burger, hummus, veggie wrap, shitake salad, and other great menu choices along with a drink for less than $10.

1  Thank tdfam2
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We ate lunch here, and it was very good, so we returned a day later for dinner, and it was even better. And the price is right.

We had two fish dishes for dinner, a mahi-mahi with chipotle sauce, and tuna, and both were very good, especially considering the price. The tuna (fresh) salad at lunch and a chicken dish were also very good.

Eat outside the watch Dominical go by.

1  Thank paraisodemonteverde
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We walked by Maracatu while meandering the streets of Dominical. I was most intrigued to read they have vegetarian options--a LOT of them--but also plenty of things for non-vegs too. We ate there that night with the whole family and everyone very satisfied. The veggie options--5/6 of us ordered veg--were really creative and tasty, and our carnivores were happy too. It was so good that we returned two days later for lunch, and again, we were all completely satisfied and impressed with the quality and creativity.

I read a previous comment from someone who was less than please because of the quality of service and the added gratuity to the check. All I can say to that individual is that I have traveled several times to Costa Rica, and neither of these is a surprise, nor do I ever allow them to influence my experience. It's a different culture, mentality quite different from the service expectations of the North--especially in Dominical of all places--peace and love, man!

1  Thank Yoga_Explorer