“Surf shop is crap” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Que Nivel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Que Nivel
You added Que Nivel to your Saves list
Ranked #11 of 15 Dominical B&B and Inns
Arequipa, Peru
“Surf shop is crap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We rented boards there, and where most places in Dominical rent them for $10 per day and have pretty decent boards, the guy there wanted to charge us $20/day, eventually going down to $13.50/day and we just took the boards because we wanted to get out on the water rather than search around (and our hotel was closer to the shop and we didn't want to have to walk a long way with the boards).

Thankfully, for TripAdvisor, I can advise people to stay away from the surf-shop shyster there, as not only did he charge more than other people, he also gave us one board that had probably 30 dings on it and was a reconstructed broken board. Another board was a recontructed one as well and in decent-at-best condition. Only one was truly passable. Stay away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Que nivel is the best place you can stay while in dominical!! the bar is so much fun at night that you dont need to wander to far back to fall asleep--also right by the ocean so you can get up..grab breakfast across the street and be in the water in no time! the staff is amazing... if you get to meet taylor, the owner, she is really knowledgable about the area, country and more and is just a fantastic host/person!! nothing fancy here but clean, affordable and fun!! can't go wrong with choosing que nivel

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Que nivel offered decent food. A great bar and some confortable room in dominical 5 steps from the beach, night club, surf shops! It s a great place to meet some new people in front of a cold imperial or a cuba libre afordable dorm for surf bum that dont want to spend to much money on acomodation. It is not a luxury place but you will need everithing your need there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dominical, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend had recommended this place because she actually lives in Dominical. I stayed here for 10 days and had a blast! It's nothing fancy, but it has everything you need to have a great time at the beach. It's definitely a sufer's hangout spot and the staff is great. The bar/restaurant is right downstairs and you feel like part of the family when you are there. Everyone is super helpful and will give you advice on anything from who to take surfing lessons with to which shuttle to ride back to the airport. Overall a great experience!

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the bar are quieter. Obviously if you go to bed early and don't like mus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I did not have a good experience here. After 30 minutes of checking in to our room, we realized that the toilet did not flush. The staff immediately moved us to the blue room at the end of the hall. The second room only had one working fan. The shower was also not working. Fortunately, the staff fixed both issues, but we were still having problems with the low water pressure. The worst came at night. There were bugs crawling in our beds and I was getting bit. When I got up to go to the restroom to check out my bug bites, I was horrified to see tons of roaches scattering all over the bathroom. I wanted to pack up my things and go right then, but my family was asleep and I didn't want to wake them up. We checked out the next morning.

This is my 3rd visit to Costa Rica and I've never had a problem with roaches before. In CR you get used to seeing bugs. I'm okay with there being some bugs in the room, but this was unacceptable. We ended staying at a nearby inn in town that was very clean and during my stay there I did not see ONE bug, which is pretty amazing considering it's CR and it cost less than Que Nivel.

CONS
-Between the two rooms the toilet, shower, and fan were not working.
-The bathroom in the first room was dirty.
-The towels were old and raggedy with holes in them.
-Roaches in the bathroom
-Bugs in the bed
-Poor lighting, very dark room.
-Very uncomfortable pillow. The stuffing was balled up causing it to be hard & uneven.

PROS
-Location to the beach.
-Sheets were really soft
-Design of the room & shower is simple & modern.
-The bar
-Cool surf murals
-No suicide showers!

Note: During my stay the owner/manager were not there. I was told that the maintenance guy was on vacation and had just gotten back. It appeared that the hostel was being run by the bartender. This may have been the reason why there were so many issues.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank karolinapollak
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

30 second walk to the beach! Room was clean, simple, and comfortable. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, and the pebble shower was an added bonus. Staff was great, and the dogs were so cute:) I was honestly surprised that it was so inexpensive. If you are looking for a five star resort, this is not for you. But then again, if that's what you're looking for, Dominical is probably not the place for you either. Haha. But seriously, it was perfect for a nice, relaxed vacation in a great little surf town:) The staff knew all of the best spots and adventures to go on. Very helpful, as it was my first time in Dominical. The food was fast and really good. Drinks were tasty, and the bar was always open:) I had a lot of fun at that bar, yet I could go to sleep whenever, since the air conditioner covered any noise, and was nice and cold. WIN WIN WIN. I'll be back soon!!!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank EricaBrooks
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The hostel had small, simple rooms with cement floors, fan and AC options(and a really sweet pebble shower!). The owner's dogs immediately befriended us and accompanied us around town. For just $10 a person/night, you can't complain. The restaurant/bar got very active at night with tourists and locals alike. A great place to hang out and meet people if you're young and enjoy a good party. Just a minutes walk to the beach and some of the best breakfast biscuits we've ever had, this place is perfect for the young backpacker but not the best if you really need a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: downstairs is cooler, and stay as far from the bar as possible since it gets VERY noisy at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends