“super amazing”
Review of Damai Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Krui
Damai Bungalows
Ranked #4 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Krui
Buddina, Australia
“super amazing”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

What can I say but the most amazing trip that I jUsr wanna go back today .loved it and all the boys still talking about the waves we didn't score ha.the food was amazing the staff super amazing 3 crazy meals a day trust me you ain't gunna starve , never locked up the room security a1 and not bad at pool either. The hosts jas and chook were the best couldn't do enough for us from surf spots to bike hire You name it the most friendly couple. And let's resident grom turn surf guide rendy u rip little man. Bring on 2013

Room Tip: Every room is excellent
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steven W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kangaroo Island, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Thanks Jason & Ayu for a fabulous stay at Damai Bungalows. We would recommend anyone who enjoys great surf, great food & a good laugh to stay at Damai. Apart from the good waves right out the front the staff at Damai provide comfortable, clean & secure accommodation. The food is varied & plentiful catering for both Western & Indonesian tastes. The fresh caught BBQ fish was a particular favourite. I cannot emphasise enough how delicious the food was. I came home with a couple of great recipes. The staff were all very happy, helpful & flexible. There were plenty of non surfing activities at & near Damai with daily support from hosts facilitating & negotiating transport to other surf breaks & local walks etc. Hosts Ayu & Jason very generous with their attention to the happiness & well being of all their visitors. A stay at Damai really is the ‘complete package’

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at Damai Bungalows for two weeks on short notice in October 2012. The management was very responsive to my requests and despite what I know to be limited access (by western standards) to the internet they had all the information I needed and were very organised and efficient in handling my booking and questions. I had never been to Sumatra before but they made me feel confident about the trip.

Starting with the wave out front – Ujung Boccur. A left break for intermediate to advanced surfers. Its super fun for goofies and one of the best waves for natural footers to surf on their backhand I have ever seen. It throws the occasional barrel, especially at the top of the point and then settles down to a fast open faced grinding wave that you can ride for literally hundreds of meters. Its also the most consistent wave in the area. I was there for 12 days and scored great waves in the 3-9ft range without a single flat day. I found that it was rarely crowded, though the afternoon session had a few more surfers. I often had the point to myself on the early. Other waves in the area are relatively accessible and you will usually get them to yourself.

The accommodation and facilities were exactly what you see on their website. Jason, Ayu and their staff are wonderful hosts who have created an environment that makes it so easy to settle in, relax and enjoy yourself. Jason was very helpful with local knowledge and showed me some ‘secret’ breaks and also organised other activities like Fishing on one of the local fishing vessels – very cool.

The food was where my expectations were genuinely exceeded. Ayu is a superb chef and the quality and variety of dishes served was amazing. After speaking to some guests at other camps it became very clear that this is an area where Damai Bungalows is head and shoulders above the rest. One night we barbequed 16Kg of lobster! It’s almost worth going just for the food.

Because they only host 12 guests at a time, you get to know everyone in camp very quickly. As a solo traveler, I felt welcomed and included in the overall group which was fantastic and a tribute to the way Damai Bungalows works. As a base to explore the South Sumatran surf scene, I consider Damai to be unsurpassed, the very best in the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve C
Gerringong, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

What a great place. Service and support staff 100% out to assist. Spent 10 wonderful days with my 15 yr old son and we both got off on great waves, food, comfort, fun motor riding and just unreal muckin around. Damai Bungalows will we see us again. Can't recommend any better Thanks Jas, Chook, Rendy and all the crew for such a good time and treating us like family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
burringbar
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I would just like to say a BIG thankyou to Ayu, Jas, Rendy & the wonderful staff for making our two week stay at Damai Bungalows such a great experience.
From the time we arrived till the time we departed, this trip was just truely amazing.
The food was sooooooooooooo good, it was out of this world !!! Ayu, Selma, Lilly & Agus take so much pride in their cooking, dishing out the most amazing recipes, nothing was ever too much trouble for them.
Jas & Ayu were such great hosts, who were only too happy to ensure everybody really enjoyed themselves, whether it being surfing, fishing, snorkelling, travelling to extinct volcanoes,visiting coffee plantations exploring the coconut coast line or just sitting on the deck at the end of the day and having an icey cold beer or three..... we even had a trip organised for us to see a Rock Concert in Krui ..... Unreal!!!
Damai is at such a good location, The complex is very well designed with a great wave straight out the front.
The rooms were comfortable and clean with good water supply and the security was so good that we just left everything open.
We met so many truely amazing people who were so friendly,
I would recommend Damai to anybody who loves a good time and wants a great surfing adventure.
Cheers Jon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Peregian Beach, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

may thanks to jas and his lovely wife chook and all the staff the food was top class and the beer
the coldest around the food so good and the beer so cold that poeple come from ather places for it. the rooms are very clean and the beds with spring mat . jas helped us with finding the best waves and knows all the best breakes in all the conditions . they go out of there way to make every thing perfect one big happy family lots of fun and great times. if you are going on a surf trip to south sumatra this is the only place to stay . set of the road so it is not dusty like some and the best place to watch the pumping waves . what a great place to relax . thanks for the best surf holiday for andy, thanks again for all your help

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have just returned from a two week stay at Damai bungalows in south Sumatra. This was our second trip to this awesome place and I really can't recommend it more highly.

Jason, Ayu and their wonderful team make you feel right at home from the second they greet you and the vibe remains the same until you reluctantly have to leave. While it is super casual the place is spotlessly clean, the bintangs icy cold (always good after a full day surfing the point) and the food from Ayu and the girls is always incredibly delicious!

The wave out front (literally just out the gate!) is a long peeling left and kicking off in the bay up to 300m from the top of the point will leave you grinning from ear to ear. Its a great take off, barrel section, then a wall built for speed and carving. Its super consistent as well. But if that's not enough for you there is a broad range of other waves in the area from semi mellow beachies to heaving slab barrels. Jas has a vast knowledge of everything the area has to offer depending on swells, winds and tides.

The area is pretty remote and ideal for seeing true Indo, unspoilt by tourists, hotels, etc. The locals are good people, plenty of smiles around here.

Damai is suitable for everyone from solo travelers, couples, families or groups. We had nine in our group and everyone had a ball.

This is my absolute favorite destination and I can't wait to get back there. For anyone looking for an awesome spot to stay where you really are made to feel right at home, with great waves, amazing food, nice rooms, wonderful people in a true paradise then I highly recommend you make a visit to Damai bungalows. You'll love it!

• Stayed July 2012