“Clean is all I can say that's good”

The Tombstone Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Tombstone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Booked online, actual accommodations not as advertised. King bed plus pullout sofa and sofa turned out to be a single. Room plenty big enough for a regular size and online says it sleeps 4. No sheets for pullout in room either. Pool water is green, it's in high 90s so can't use. Breakfast OK but not one drop of any kind of juice for my kids. Smoke detector chirped in the middle of the night so I call for a new battery next morning. Get back to room at 9 PM next day and still no battery. Desk clerk takes it completely off the wall instead of putting in a battery!! I think that's illegal but at least I'll get to sleep. Can't wait to get out of this place. BAD BAD EXPERIENCE and it was NOT cheap

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
John_Mesen, General Manager at The Tombstone Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Hi EllenB667! Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us! I do apologize for the issues you encountered and will be speaking with the team at the property directly so we can take remedial action. Please feel free to call the property and speak with our AGM Deb so she can resolve this to your satisfaction. Travel safe and I hope we have the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Tombstone Grand Hotel

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The coffee is good but this weekend there was no juice and the latte machine out.

The room was nice enough however not very clean. Upon checking in there were beer caps on floor as well as candy wrappers. There was an unknown gloppy substance in the ice bucket and enough of a previous guests hair in the shower/tub that I felt like I was at a dog wash.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SRH1968

Hi SRH1968 and thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We certainly strive for perfection and definitely fell short of both your and our own expectations during this visit. I do apologize for the issues you encountered. Please feel free to call the property directly and speak with Deb our GM about your situation as I know she will be happy to discuss it with you. I do hope we have the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We live very close to Tombstone but had our children driving from Phoenix and decided to stay in Tombstone for the weekend. As we searched hotels, everything was booked except we were able to find rooms at the Tombstone Grand. How lucky and fortunate we were!!!! What a great find! As first impressions go, we were so pleased! It was extremely welcoming and the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful! The grounds, hotel and rooms were clean and charming.

Our children are young adults but they seemed to have activities that kept their interest as well as everyone else. We ordered pizza and enjoyed a fire outside with a genuine singing cowboy who was so entertaining! He kept us interested with stories of ranch life from the "old days" and sang songs that most knew.

In such a skeptical world, we met new people and that was attributed directly to this hotel. They create such a warm, welcoming, inviting, family experience We have to say that we were extremely pleased and WILL definitely be back for another stay as well as HIGHLY recommending this hotel to others!

To the hotel staff, we say thank you again for such a wonderful experience that helped us create yet another wonderful family memory!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank j p

Hello j p and thank you for taking time to write such a detailed review! We do appreciate all of our guest feedback and certainly are pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience with us! I will be passing along your comments to our team and I know they will be happy that you took advantage of our nightly entertainment and enjoyed some time around the fire pit. I do hope that we see you again in Tombstone!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Grand is as close to town as you want to be. It feels upscale even though it is moderately priced. The fire pit, the singing cowboy, the effort of the staff goes a long way to making it a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
11  Thank JohnJ711
John_Mesen, General Manager at The Tombstone Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Hello JohnJ711 and thank you for staying with us! I do appreciate that you took time to review your experience and point out the special details that made your visit enjoyable. We are always looking for suggestions so please feel free to share them with us! Travel safely!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Tombstone, AZ is pretty far off the beaten track and the lodging there is fairly limited. However, I highly recommend the Tombstone Grand. It's on the edge of town, overlooking the surrounding desert, and we were delighted with it. The first thing we saw as we walked in was a cowboy in full 1880's gear, leaning against the counter! All the people there were personable and helpful. Our room was clean and spacious. The room had a small refrigerator, but no microwave. The latter would have been nice since I brought food back to the room from one of the restaurants in town and later ate it cold (not a big deal, but it would have been better hot). There is free breakfast every morning and it was extremely good in comparison to some I've had elsewhere. The first morning featured chicken fried steak and gravy! There is no other food service in the hotel, but the trip into Tombstone itself, where the restaurants are located, is about a five minute drive. Again, not a big deal. The hotel is near Boot Hill and other attractions. There is no elevator, so if you have a problem going up stairs, request a first floor room. We did and it was great. If we ever make it back to Tombstone, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs, request a first floor room. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Hello Texcee! Thank you for taking time to share such great details about your stay with us! It was great to hear that our team and the property exceeded your expectations and I know that when I share your review with the staff they will appreciate the specific items you pointed out. I do apologize for the lack of a microwave in your room, and for the absence of an elevator. Please know if you return that we are happy to assist with luggage anytime! I hope we see you again - travel safely!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend for the Wyatt Earp Days and found the acommodations to be outstanding. All of the people working there were very friendly and the rooms were very clean. On Sat. evening there was entertainment outside by the fire pit by Jimmy Apel and we had a great time listening to him. We can't understand why anybody would have a reason to complain about anything.

1  Thank Rita388

Hi Rita388! Thank you very much for staying with us! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Wyatt Earp Days celebration and that you were able to take advantage of our nightly entertainment. I will pass along your kind words to our team as they are very interested in feedback from our guests. Please let us know if you have any ideas on improvements we can make - travel safe!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you want to stay in Tombstone there is not a great choice of hotels. This used to be a Holiday Inn Express but probably no longer meets their standards. Next door used to be a Best Western but that too had dropped out of the chain.

There is not much "Grand" about this hotel but staff were friendly and doing their best on a holiday weekend. Check-in took ages and their system did not seem to be very effective. The room was OK. A bit cramped and the pillows really needed replacing but comfortable enough.

Despite lots of families with kids staying in the hotel, our room remained peaceful so this place must have been well built and much more solidly so than modern "system" hotels.

Lots of parking was available so we did not have a problem, though the hotel must have been full. It is a long walk out of town so you really need a car to get into this wonderful little town which makes its living out of its Western traditions. It was nice to be given a "thank you" gift when we checked out.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor with access to an exterior door to save traipsing through the hotel o...
1  Thank johnash
John_Mesen, General Manager at The Tombstone Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hi johnash! Thanks for staying with us in Tombstone. I appreciate that you took the time to write such a detailed review! I am pleased that the team was able to impress you with their friendly service and that you noted our solid design and construction. I do apologize if there was a delay for your family during check-in and I will ensure that I discuss your concern with the team. Our decision to transition away from IHG was to enable us to expand beyond the limitations of that brand so please let us know if you have other suggestions for us as we are dedicated to becoming 'Grand' in your eyes. Travel safe!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tombstone
Tombstone Monument Ranch
#1 of 9 in Tombstone
Tombstone Sagebrush Inn
Tombstone Sagebrush Inn
#6 of 9 in Tombstone

Been to The Tombstone Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!