“The best tour in town! If I went back, I'd do this one again.”

Good Enough Mine Tour
Ranked #6 of 32 things to do in Tombstone
More attraction details
Owner description: The Goodenough Mine is one of the twenty five producing silver mines in the Tombstone Mining District, which started the mining boom which resulted in the incorporation of the City of Tombstone. When you take the tour, you will be shown through the original 1879 workings by a knowledgeable guide, and learn all about nineteenth century hard rock silver mining. You'll see what the ore looked like, learn about how it was processed, see some beautiful rocks and minerals, and artifacts and structures that have been in place for 130 years. This is one of the mines owned by Ed Schieffelin, the founder of the town, part of the Tombstone Mill and Mining Company, which he founded as well. The Goodenough Mine Tour is the most authentic and unique attraction in the City of Tombstone, and you'll see the results of the hard work of the miners. It's an experience that you will enjoy.
sparta, nj, usa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best tour in town! If I went back, I'd do this one again.”
Reviewed August 27, 2010

This tour personifies Tombstone for me. The other tours and museums were all very interesting and entertaining, but touring the mine was the most real thing we did. Walking through the tunnels that had been dynamited and then dug by hand, seeing the lunch buckets, the lanterns, the used tools, all in the places where they were used, was like traveling back in time.
Our guide was knowledgeable about the history of the mine. Even better, he'd been one of the people who had actually worked to re-open the mines (the entrances had been filled in after the mines had been closed down) and his experiences made for interesting stories.
Tombstone was a mining town, and being down in the mine gave me the feeling that I'd really, finally, been to Tombstone.

3 Thank snowjo

Central Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A REAL HISTORY LESSON....”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My 14 year old grandson and I took the tour. It was hotter than blazes that day.....but in the mine it was cool. I think you go down about 100 feet...on wooden steps and dirt trails...Our tour guide was real interisting, a big fella, who looked like he could have done a good days work in a mine. Folks, if you want your kids and grandkids to appriciate what REAL WORK is take them on this tour. Every visit to Tombstone should include this tour....It's a cool tour...in more ways than one.

2 Thank OldFalcon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“I went into the tour thinking it would be...”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I went into the tour thinking it would be pretty boring but wanting to appease my Husband and kids but once we got down in the mine it was amazing. Our guide explained everything so well and gave such great detail. We loved it and would highly recommend it. It really was a great way to start our visit to tombstone.

2 Thank baker6
north carolina
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Don't miss this original history”
Reviewed February 4, 2010

This is a excellent explanation of what made this area a boomtown . The tour was hosted by an informed guide and excellent in every way.

2 Thank algataho
Phoenix
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Interesting Underground Tour”
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I love mine tours and was interested by the description of this one in Tombstone. This was one of the silver mines owned by the original founder of the town, Ed Schieffelin, who filed the claim on this one in 1878. The present owners have cleaned it out of loose rock debris and it is now open for tours. The entrance is just a block from Allen St. and all of the action, so it's easy to get to. The walking tour takes about 45 minutes, and there are uneven surfaces and stairs. Kids must be at least 48 inches tall and with a parent. Everyone gets a hardhat to wear before the tour. The tour guide is very friendly and tells plenty of stories of the miners who worked the mine and actual mining techniques. The mine is also nice and cool inside on a hot day.