“Bird Cage Theatre Tombstone”
Review of Bird Cage Theatre

Bird Cage Theatre
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Tombstone
More attraction details
Owner description: This one-time theater and brothel has been reincarnated as a museum.
Reviewed March 4, 2015

The historic Bird Cage Theatre is one of our favorite attractions in Tombstone. Once you walk through its doors, you are instantly taken back to 1881, the year it first opened. You can watch all the movies, hear all the stories, but until you experience the Bird Cage Theatre for yourself… you just don’t know.

The building houses many historic artifacts, beautifully staged to capture the essence of the Old West. We were lucky enough to have one of the best tour guides in Tombstone, Darba Jo Butler, show us around. Dressed in authentic, late 19th century garb, Darba Jo opened up a whole new world for us and answered every question we had. I would recommend you pay her a visit if you have any questions.

The Bird Cage Theatre was only open until 1889, the year Tombstone went bust due the flooding of the mine. The building was then sealed up, protecting everything inside until 1934, when it became the tourist attraction we enjoy today.

Darba Jo filled us in on many stories and one in particular which I found really amazing. The longest-running poker game in history, lasting eight years, five months, and three days, took place in the poker room in the basement (see the photography above). This marathon of a game went on for twenty-four hours a day / seven days a week! Players included well-known names such as Doc Holliday, Bat Masterson, Diamond Jim Brady, and George Hearst. According to Darba Jo, over ten million dollars were wagered during the poker run. Just think how much money that would be in today’s dollars!

As you wander through the Bird Cage Theatre, you can’t help but see the large number of bullet holes. This gives you some idea of just how wild this theatre was back in the day. You also get to visit the private boxes, each one equipped with its own set of drapes, where patrons could watch the shows or be entertained by the ladies of the night.

Along with all the wild times come some spooky stories. Many claim that the Bird Cage Theatre is haunted. Darba Jo let us know that in the evenings there’s a haunted tour that dives into the details. We decided to pass this time around. Maybe next time we visit, we can conjure up the guts for that experience. I forbid you to visit Tombstone without a trip to the historic Bird Cage Theatre.

1  Thank MikePuckettDDM
Write a ReviewReviews (1,480)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 50 reviews
"interesting artifacts"

Reviewed March 1, 2015

I read these reviews, this is the first review I have ever posted. We just got home from an exciting trip to tombstone. The four of us decided the birdcage theater ghost tour was a must do on the itenarary. We went to the 930 tour and Tricia was our guide. I am not a lucky person at all, so my expectations were very low that I would actually experience anything paranormal. The owners wife was outside before the tour and she was telling us some very creepy things that have happend to her, so we were still psyched to go. Tricia was a great guide and very informative. She kept the tour moving on time and answered a lot of our questions. Towards the end of the tour we went to sit around a table with 3 evp monitors. All four of were sitting we I th our backs turned to the staircase going down to the basement. Tricia tried to get the spirits to show us some kind of sign they were near, not a lot was going on. A few bumps and a few did you hear that, but nothing that would make me a strong believer. I whispered loudly to my husband "have you heard anything" loudly back he says "I can't hear anything remember I have bad hearing" everyone laughed and about 2 minutes after that everyone including us heard footsteps walking up the stairs behind us. No one else was in the building except the tour group and all of us were sitting around the table. One woman started to complain saying she didn't feel them around nothing is here. About a minute later the room got darker than it already was and everyone started snapping pics but her camera wasn't showing a picture only a black screen. Her lens cover was off and the flag was working, everyone else's camera was working just fine. That was pretty much what we experience d on the tour, it wasn't until we started looking through the pictures we took and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I was in the basement and took a few pictures of the wine cellar, in one of the picsthere was an orange figure in the shape of a head with no ears. At first I thought it was my shadow then I saw the next pic I took and the Orange glow had moved to the left corner of the frame. this is a must see, it is worth every penny

2  Thank rnjhernandez
Reviewed March 1, 2015

This place is a must visit if you have a love of history. The place is small, but the very fact that such a lot went on there makes it special. Raunchy colorful history not to be ignored!

1  Thank Vijay J
Reviewed March 1, 2015

We visited Tombstone and the Birdcage Theater. This place looks like something out of a dream. Somebody locked it up 100 years ago then reopened it as is. It is very creepy and just packed with remembrances of a time when Wyatt and Doc roamed the streets of Tombstone. It is not cheap to go in but worth it. Old whiskey barrels are still packed under the stage where they were discovered only recently. Look for the bullet holes in the ceiling in the main room.

1  Thank Latta