“Back Door Treasure”

Cornish Pasty Co
Ranked #1 of 762 Restaurants in Tempe
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Back Door Treasure”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

A little hard to find but very tasty pastys! The waitress talked us into trying the jalapeño garlic fries ... yum yum. Great selection of beers on tap to round off the experience.

California
“A Taste of Home”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a Brit I'm a bit dubious about British Food prepared like it should be, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the authenticity and quality of the food. Primarily the restaurant is based on the Cornish Pasty, which was a staple food for miners many years ago, the pasty is still very popular in Britain. What surprised me was the pastry, it was delicious and as it would have been at home. The menu has also been modified to suit the vegetarian and vegan palate, which is what made me visit the place. I had a spicy chicken and asiago cheese pasty, along with glasses of iced green tea, blackberry flavored, also very good. There is an extensive selection of beers some of which were and English imports on draught, Tetley's I believe, but as I don't drink I didn't pay too much attention to the rest of them. The overall cost of the meal was very reasonable, and the staff waiting on the tables were excellent, lots of fun. This restaurant is situated in the University area of Tempe, with ample seating outside. We choose to sit outside, inside the restaurant the lighting is very low, I suppose to duplicate the atmosphere of dining down a mine. I will definitely be returning here for a meal anytime I'm in the area. Next month we will be in the area on vacation and upon our return trip home we may well see about a lunch to help whittle away the Freeway miles!

Visited March 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Looks can be deceptive”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited here from the UK with our daughter wjho is studying in Tempe for a year and was very pleasantly surprised. It was very hard to find in the dark, and we were taken aback by the exterior look of the place. Once inside however, how quickly opinions can change. It was very dark and ther menus took a little reading but the food made up for everything. A wide variety of different dishes were made into pasties, we had the lamb vindaloo and the salmon and were not disappointed. Would recommend to anyone.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Ann H
phoenix
“Life after the chicken pot pie is delightful….Banoffi pie?? Oh boy and the beers”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Have you ever wondered why, here in the US, we kind of got stuck at chicken pot pies? I mean, surely pastry goes with steak, spinach and cheese etc etc?

The Cornish Pasty proves that us Americans got it wrong – pastry is not only a delightful combination with chicken but with steak, potato, eggplant, lamb curry, chicken curry, cheese steak and numerous other combinations.

I have eaten at the Cornish Pasty for a few years now, even before there recent expansion quadrupled their size. It is a great location for a more casual lunch and dinner, servers are prompt but the food itself takes a little longer than other lunch places due to the time it takes to bake the pasties. We have never been disappointed and it certainly makes a nice change from normal “chain” lunches. They have a great variety of beers on tap.

And then…if you like the combination of cream, caramel, graham cracker crust and bananas then the Banoffi pie is a must – we sometimes get it as a takeout and it is large enough to share between three – heavenly!! (Pity about the 20k run afterwards to burn off the calories!)

• Visited February 2013
Dayton, Ohio
“The food is better than the cave-like atmosphere would make you think”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Others have described this place as a cave, and I would have to agree. It looks like a college bar, but the food is decent. Their "thing" is to take traditional English meals (like bangers and mash and shepherd's pie) and roll it up into a pasty, which I'm guessing would have most English folks scratching their heads. However, the food is pretty tasty. There are some weird fillings for a pasty on the menu, so be adventurous.

Visited January 2013