“Excellent value for the money”

BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
“Excellent value for the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Wanted excellence without the price and found it at this hotel in Tempe. Despite being right next to highways,it was not noisy because of continuous fans in the room. Wonderful beds and breakfast, big spa,exercise room, pleasant patio, personable staff. Within easy access to AZ State, downtown Tempe, bus and train lines, and very close to airport with free shuttle. Starbucks and In-N- Out great hamburgers just across the street. Also yogurt and other chain restaurants. Denny's adjacent to the hotel. Nice sitting room on each floor.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Kent, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We arrived in PHX at midnight, went outside to where the courtesy transportation is and called the hotel. I was told that the shuttle driver was at the grocery store picking up items for breakfast so it would be a while. About 45 minutes later he did arrive and drove us to the hotel.

We checked in quite easily and went up to our room which was facing the highway. It was hot so I turned on the A/C and even though it was noisy it cooled the room down quite a bit. Room itself was clean. I was not impressed with the bathroom area though. You have the sink & open closet on the outside and the inside the door is the toilet & shower with hardly any room at all. Even though the room was clean it was dated in my opinion even had a few paint flakes coming off. Beds were comfy. At times I did hear the noise from the freeway out the window. Room did have a refrigerator but no microwave, so what good are leftovers?

Even though we stayed 2 nights we were only able to eat breakfast 1 morning. It had a mixture of hot & cold items. Inside was small & packed with people so we went outside where it was much cooler.

Inquired at the front desk about having the complimentary shuttle take us to the rent a car place and was told that there would be a charge for that. We decided to have them take us to the airport so we could catch the shuttle there instead. At least they warned us. While talking with the shuttle driver he casually brought up in conversation that we might like to make "reservations" for the return shuttle trip to the airport when we were leaving. We were under the impression that even though they have 24 hour shuttle they only go to the airport from 4am on. This we learned was not true as they had transported someone as early at 330am. Anyway we arrived at the front desk at 420am and the clerk asked if we would like to take something for the road being we wouldn't be having breakfast. She opened up the breakfast area & let us take whatever cold stuff (fruit, cereal) we wanted.

I originally picked this hotel because it offered a 24 hour shuttle and had breakfast. Would I stay here again? It depends if I could find a better rate with another hotel that has 24 hour shuttle and serves breakfast.

It appeared that this was near Sun Devil stadium at ASU so if you are going for college events this might be good.

Didn't use what they call a lap pool for one person, it was a joke if you ask me. Didn't check out the hot tubs either.

Corona, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We enjoyed our stay and the sights we saw in the area. It's a good location in walking distance to the water & park area. The lady who checked us in was very helpful. The hotel is very close to the freeway, but we were not bothered at all by any noise. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Patrick R, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Ed,

We are glad you had some time this Spring to catch some major league baseball; and as always thank you for choosing us at the Best Western Inn of Tempe!
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed here for two weeks, and I would easily recommend it to anyone needing a place to stay close to ASU or the airport, or just this area in general. The staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating all throughout my stay, with suggestions for things to do, and the shuttle service was a lifesaver since I did not have a car.

The wifi worked fine for me during the entire stay, even when CGI students flooded the hotel one weekend.

My room was spacious and clean and the cleaning staff did a great job, couldn't be happier. The bed was comfortable and I slept well, no noise problems from outside of from other rooms.

While the immediate surrounding area might not be the most impressive, there are several places to eat and get coffee in walking range, and Tempe Town Lake is only a couple of minutes walk away. Easy access to ASU and Mill Avenue, bus stop right across the road for when I wanted to go anywhere a little further. The staff, (especially Mr Luna) was very helpful with tips on how to get around if I needed to go places outside of the shuttle's 3 mile range.

I only rated the value as average since I stayed during spring training/spring break/CGI/Dragonboat races, and rates are high for the entire area during this time. If I'd have stayed at a time with somewhat lower rates I would have rated as excellent. To be fair, for the time period their rates were still pretty good compared to other places, and obviously this was more a result of my lacking understanding of when Phoenix would be crowded.

The breakfast had plenty of options, cereal, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, yoghurt, a variety of warm foods, breads, waffles, juice, milk and coffee.

All over I was pretty much happy with everything, had no issues, and generally felt very well taken care of! (Mikael, Lynette, Damon, Patrick, Ebony, Kelly, and Leo were all incredibly kind to me, many thanks for making my stay so nice) If I ever go back to Phoenix I'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Marthe,

I am always pleased to read a review that not only were you happy with your accommodations, but that the entire staff was pleasant and helpful. So if you decide to come back and see Arizona again we would love to see you!
Tempe, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great place to stay close to airport and ASU. They let you leave your car there and transport you to and from airport! have stayed here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. would recommed this hotel.

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your kind review, our SLEEP & FLY package is one of our guests favorite options when they need to get to the Sky Harbor Airport, and need a place to sleep and transportation the next morning!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

The manager said there was a pool. It was a very small lap pool. Right next to the interstate--very noisey. Extreme rate hike due to spring training...seemed to make the manager happy! Our room had a smell we couldn't get rid of. Breakfast was served cold and was the lowest grade of food possible. We could hear the laundry facility bright and early the next morning with the employees banging around and laughing talking loudly.

Dear Roger,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review, we are sorry that you did not have a good experience. I would like to address some of the issues you had at our property.

We do advertise a single lane lap pool, which we do indeed have; as well as 2 hot tubs inside and another one outside.

We do NOT serve our breakfast cold, we provide a FREE hot breakfast that items are purchased from US Foods, a VERY reputable food service company. Also we provide fresh fruit, yogurt, four kinds of cereal, and many kinds of muffins, danishes etc . . . .

I do remember that your rooms were on the 1st floor across from one of our housekeeping areas, were you able to ask the front desk if you could move? We typically will move an unhappy guest to rooms that they would be happy in.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I am here for the Clinton Global Initiative University conference. As a student leader from my university, I am expected to prepare for a big information exchange tonight. However, I have not been able to connect to the internet to put together my information since last night. When I called the front desk this morning, I was told that there are too many users right now and that is why it is slow. They could offer no other help, and did not seem to care at all. But it is not slow- I could not even connect after midnight last night (I was able to use it briefly when I checked in). I am very disappointed that this hotel wanted to be a preferred provider for our conference, but is unable to service the students staying here with a decent internet connection.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank VellottiWizard
Patrick R, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear CGI Guest,

We are very sorry that you had an issue at the hotel with your wifi.

This is an issue that when it happens we have to rely on COX COMMUNICATIONS to address any and all repairs, as our hotel does not provide any internet services. I can understand your frustration, but our Front Desk Agents and our Managers all worked very hard to get COX COMMUNICATIONS to resolve their issue, and they did.