“lack of professionalism by general manager” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe

BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
whittier, United States
“lack of professionalism by general manager”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

poor choice of a hotel for family with elderly members. the lack of direction by the general manager is a joke. she doesn't care to the needs of the guest. if you need a place just to sleep with out any assistance from hotel employees then its close to the freeway. poor choice for family vacation stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank John M
Patrick R, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
First of all sir, I would like to take a moment to apologize for any issue you may of had at the hotel.

Although I am aware of the issue you had during Spring Training. We only do a 3 Mile radius from the hotel. Tempe Diablo Stadium is 6.7 Miles away. I see that you booked online, it does state we can do van runs in a 3 mile radius, and to the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. If you needed a taxi we could have called you one. But we still took your group over there for free, so I am a little puzzled that you are calling my General Manager a joke, and that none of the staff cares. When we in fact we did exactly what you requested.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Saline, MI, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Very nice place to spend 2 nights - great location. Room was clean, beds were great and employees very friendly. We made the reservation with the hotel directly and the clerk had difficulty with the directions. We were sent miles out of our way and were surprised to end up only a few miles from where we originally started! Suggested that they have printed directions to give to people.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking time to write your review. As always, thank you for choosing us at the Best Western Inn of Tempe.
Fort Lauderdale, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Great Staff with plenty to do in the area. The hotel van is great to take you where you want to go. Easy access to the airport, Tempe, and Scottsdale. If you like water Tempe Town lake is close by with lots to do or you can run/walk around the lake in a pretty safe environment. The Arizona State University Campus is 1 mile away and the hotel shuttle will drive you or you can walk.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your review, and as always thank you for choosing us!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I booked a room at the Red Lion Inn & Suites down the street online, but didn't feel safe there, so I landed here. Room was quite and clean, but the blow dryer didn't work - they replaced it. TV went out on the 2nd night and wasn't repaired until sometime the next day. Wireless was spotty, though they said they had just updated bandwidth. Shuttle service is only within 4 mile radius and at the staff's discretion. No uniforms or way to visually identify staff. Pool area is useless, unattractive, and unappealing. Breakfast is not for the health concious. No eggs available the three days I was there. There is a strip bar adjacent to property, though I never saw any evidence of it. Very basic accomodations with no real services. There was a delay with the refund from the first place I stayed, and the staff person here was quite rude about waiting for the credit to show up, even though I twice offered to pay cash.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Camille,

Thank you for your review, but I believe you must have stayed at a different property; We as all Western Properties adhere to the uniform policy. (which for our property is blue polo shirts with the Best Western Logo as well as Black/ Khaki pants.)

Also, we DO NOT HAVE ANY SORT OF STRIP CLUB ADJACENT TO OUR HOTEL.

I understand that you did not like our spa area, but it does have 3 Hot tubs, and an single lane lap pool, and all of our spas are warm and functional. Maybe explain how it is useless?

Our Free Hot Breakfast is typically stocked M-F (6:00am - 9:00am) Sa-Su (7:00am-10:00am). Did you inform our breakfast attendant? We want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to enjoy our breakfast.

I am confused on the comments "basic accommodations" and "no real services". We are a 2 STAR hotel, so we do offer free hot breakfast, free 24 hour transportation to and from Airport, and free wifi. If you have any suggestions on how we could improve, please let us know.

We are sorry if one of our staff members was rude. Although, we (as all hotels) require a valid Credit or Debit Card or Cash. It is the only way to ensure that we receive payment for the room.
Schaumburg, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

I booked this hotel because it was near my son at ASU. I travel a lot and I will tell you that this hotel was poor at best. Highway 202 ran so close to my room that it kept me up all night. You can read the license plate from your window. Several Items in the room were broken and I had to give a list to the front desk the first morning. Everyday they told me the treadmill was fixed but it would always stop working after 3/16th of a mile. My son best described the pool as a Baptismal font. I hoped to sit poolside and read or work on my computer but there is no place for this. Heck, there was barely a pool. The description refers to it as a lap pool. It is one very narrow lap lane wide and the distance of about 5 strokes. Even if the deck was large enough, the highway roared overhead. My daughter stopped by to pick up something from my room that I arranged with the staff. The front desk person told her that I said it would be my son coming and that I always wanted a son. What kind of thing is that to say to someones daughter. It took a few minutes after my daughter called me for the two of use to realize the guy was trying to be funny. well it wasn't. The breakfast was the only thing I would say was okay.

Room Tip: make sure you request it to not face the highway. unfortunately that is almost half the hotel. If th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Mary M
Patrick R, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn of Tempe, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Joseph,

We are always happy when a guest leaves us a review about the customer service they received from our staff. I am glad that you also reviewed our cleanliness of our property which I think is so important and it reflects on how hard our Housekeeping dept. works.
Chandler, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We arrived at 2am after having called 10 minutes earlier for a rate and room availability. Upon arriving we were told they were "running reports" and the system is unable to do check-ins while this is happening. No mention of this 10 minutes earlier. It would take 30-45 minutes to finish and were were asked if we would mind waiting... 1.) This is 2014. Need I say more about a "system" incapacitating check-ins at a major hotel chain in this day and age? 2.) Waiting around for 45 minutes at 2am... Again. No comment needed.

After offering the desk attendant everything from holding my credit card, driver's license, cash, etc., we were given a room until the reports stopped running. I'm thankful for that and appreciate her effort. She was just working within the confines of the Best Western "system". At 3am the room was rang, I got out of bed, walked to the front desk and performed the check-in process. The room was average, some rust stains in the tub, small TV, odd refrigerator afterthought hutch thing, etc. The bed was comfortable and location was quiet.

We were meeting people in Tempe at 1:30pm the next day. Being as though we arrived late, I had to get out of bed at 3am to check-in, we could use the extra rest and the sign on the room door states that the checkout time is noon and an extra hour can be negotiated with the front desk, we did just that... To be informed that checkout is 11am and we could extend checkout to 12:30. Seriously? You're going to split hairs over 30 minutes after the check-in experience?

Outside of that, there's a very odd jacuzzi/spa room arrangement where there are 5 small jacuzzi/soaking pools, one of which has been filled in with landscaping rock, but still has the handle for entering and exiting (LOL) and 2 of which had a layer silt of some sort on the bottom. Outside there is another large jacuzzi that was 75% empty with a few tools on the step and clearly in process of a "handy man type" repair... No caution tape, no one in sight, no barricade, no signs and a nice foot of dirty water in the bottom. No need to explain the glaring potential there either. I guess Best Western's safety procedures are as outdated as the computers.

We won't be back and likely won't be back to a Best Western.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear crashinaz,

We are sorry that we did not inform you that we were doing our Nightly Audit, and that it may take 20 minute to a half an hour;so please excuse the Front Desk Agent for using the term "system". She should have informed you we would be unable to check you in for 20-30 mins.

Typically our hotel does its pool maintenance at night as the pool/spa area close at 10PM. That is maybe why you may have seen tools outside,and signs of a "Handy Man Type" repair.

We are sorry we couldn't offer you a later check out than 12:30PM. Although we did offer you an extended free 1 and a 1/2 late check out on a busy day.

We do appreciate you taking the time and informing us about the areas we can improve upon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

For those into Senior Olympics, Track and Field, the games in Tempe are very good and the Best Western of Tempe is close at hand. Their breakfast is awesome for getting up to speed for any game events you may have coming up. Getting a good nights rest prior to the games is essential and the beds here can really get you that need sleep. Great work out room to get those muscles warmed up.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are so glad to see that you had a great weekend at our hotel for your event! We look forward to seeing you again next year!