“Excellent front desk staff and manager”

Residence Inn Tempe
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
uk
“Excellent front desk staff and manager”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This is perhaps the most professional, friendly, helpful and efficient front desk team I have ever dealt with in several years of business travel. The grocery shopping is done properly, the hotel bills are always correct, requests are dealt with in a proactive and considerate and prompt way. This makes all the difference in any hotel stay. They made the room and groceries convienent; they recognize me when I come in; they already see that I will be coming back and want to make sure things are going smoothly. Jeff the manager deserves a lot of praise from Marriott.
The rooms are spacious, they are a bit tired but renovations are planned shortly. However, I don't view that as a plus since the "New" Residence Inn brand format for furniture, which I have seen far too much of, is very uncomfortable.
Internet free and functional, it didn't drop.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank mentaltraveller
ResidenceInnTempe, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you for your kind commentary about the hotel. We certainly work hard to provide the very highest level of service possible. You are correct, shortly after your comments were left we did begin (and have now completed) a full renovation of the hotel!
Come back and stay with us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Puyallup, WA
Reviewed April 24, 2010

This place feels more like a cheap apartment complex than a Marriott hotel. I've stayed at a Residence Inn elsewhere and it was very nice so maybe I was expecting too much? I have stayed at a Townplace Suites which I thought was supposed to be lower on the Marriott scale and it was much nicer.

The rooms were clean but just shabby. All the caulking in the bathroom was old and showing gaps. Also, the light switches all had black gunk on them showing they aren't regularly clean. A lot of the outlet covers were the same. There was also a family of dust bunnies living in the AC vents- you could see there was effort to clean the exterior but not go very deep. The bathroom vanity looked like it had been there a long time. There were multiple spots in the ceiling where the upstairs must've leaked and they did a poor job of fixing it. For the price, I might've been able to forgive a lot of this but the doors of the adjacent units slam so hard that it feels like your own door was slammed shut. I think someone in a neighboring unit must've left every day around 5:30 because I was startled awake everyday at that time and I am NOT an early riser. Also, I did not feel very safe. There is no fence around the property so if you are on the first floor there is nothing stopping anyone on the sidewalk from walking up to your window. There are also blind spots in the entry way where someone could hide- they should have mirrors. I thought the pool was okay.

In all, I was very disappointed. I've stayed at multiple Homewood Suites by Hilton and they are far and away much better and in the same price range. From now on, I will stick to Hilton properties- they have not disappointed me yet, unlike Marriott.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jpete001
We sincerely appreciate your candid comments about your experience at our hotel. It was comments like yours (about the condition of the property) that enabled us to go through a full hotel renovation. Since your stay with us, we have completely rebuilt the rooms from the ground up - including new furniture, paint, carpet, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new tile, new bathtubs, etc. As for the sense of security at the hotel, we do understand your concern. That is why we do keep a very close eye on our property and even hire a security guard for the overnight shift to ensure the safety of each and every one of our guests.
Thank you again.
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We were in Phoenix on family business and needed a location central to a couple of homes. We were traveling with a 17-year-old and a 16-month old. We had a two-bedroom, two bath suite with full kitchen and living room, and it was so spacious that our families came to visit US in the hotel rather than us going to their homes. The staff was attentive and concerned and treated us like old friends. The facilities were well-kept and the pool was sparkling clean. Housekeeping did a fabulous job, arranged our daughter's stuffed animals against the pillows, and put our dirty dishes in the dishwasher and ran it so they were clean when we returned. The breakfast buffet was abundant and quite good. The free "social hours" Monday - Thursday evenings were amazingly tasty and they were full meals -- not appetizers. The hotel obviously caters to a lot of corporate groups with employees on extended stay, and we saw more of them than we did tourists or families. If you are a light sleeper, request a room on the courtyard, as the property is bounded by major streets and it could get loud at night. We were so impressed that we will stay here again when we come to see family.

• Liked — Spaciousness of rooms, and free breakfasts and dinners
  • Disliked — Noise from the surrounding roads
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Colorado, USA
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I travel a lot and am not super picky -- I realize that one's experience at a hotel can vary widely by time of year, which room you get, which staffers happen to be on duty, etc.

That said, I was disappointed with this hotel for the price. I paid about $300 for a 2-bedroom suite, as I was a mom traveling with my teenage son. Our room was in Building 10. It had last been decorated in the late 80's or early 90's. This doesn't bother me, but the dust on the HVAC register , the grime on the tabletops, and the hairs in the bathroom do. I would normally ask the housekeepers to clean the room again, but frankly, was unnerved by the sight of the Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement bus in the parking lot, coupled with a swarm of tense uniformed ICE officers. Their Greyhound-style bus was shiny and hew, and all the windows were painted over. I wonder what they do to people in there.

On the plus side, the desk staff is very friendly and accommodating, the location is convenient to ASU without being caught up in the campus bustle, and the full., hot breakfast (included in the price) was actually pretty darn good. So this hotel is probably a pretty good deal for businesspeople who get discounted rates for long stays. Not sure if I would stay here on "pleasure" again. I would probably dirve a little further and stay in one of the resorts.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Auriel_Swacker
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 12, 2007

The Residence Inn is located a short drive from the Phoenix Airport. The property sits across from a large shopping mall at the busy intersection of Darrow Drive and Priest Drive. Despite the traffic and mall I found the Residence Inn to be ideal. Working on the road as often as I do, I often find it hard to feel relaxed in a room. The Residence Inn provides a traveler ample space, couch, love seat, fire place, desk, and full kitchen.

You can be certain that that this is not a luxury property; however it provides you with all the necessities and more. Additionally, all staff I came in contact with very kind, professional, and prompt in taking care of my needs. I have stayed at many 5 star properties that could not manage to do that right.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for regular traveler or extended visitor. For the price you pay this is a great deal.

• Liked — Comfort!
  • Disliked — Busy street
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Mlogs
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed March 27, 2007

The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The hotel staff were very friendly and out-of-thier-way helpful. The location felt safe and was conveniently located. I would definately stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Tempe from February 15 to 18, 2007. We were in Tempe for a wedding. It was me, my husband and our 16 month old son. We chose this hotel because it had two bedrooms and a separate living area plus a full kitchen with a refrigerator and because it was a good location.

We arrived at around 5:30 PM on the 15th and check in took less than two minutes. Very efficient. We'd requested a crib and a ground floor room. We got the ground floor room and the crib was in the suite already.

The suite itself was nice enough. It was a bit outdated. The cabinets were dark and looked very 1980's. The appliances were that beige color with knobs instead of buttons. The bar furniture was also big chunky dark wood ala 1985. But none of that took away from their use. The full size fridge had an ice maker. The kitchen was fully stocked with every kind of dish you could need. There was a 10 cup coffeemaker but not a lot of cream and sugar. Bring extra if you're a serious coffee drinker. There were two bedrooms. Unfortunately, they both had double beds; no queen or king. There were 3 TV's in the suite; two full bathrooms; three closets. The TV's had limited channels and there's no guide so you have to flip channels to see what's on. I brought my laptop and the hotel provided complimentary internet access. Our plug in was missing the little piece that snaps to keep it connected to your computer so I had to be careful and always check to make sure the cable was still connected. You also had to sign in every 24 hours so if you had anything going at the time when your 24 hours was up, you'd lose it. The bedroom doors aren't solid. They have panes of glass with sheer curtains over them which means you can't have lights on in the living area and have a dark bedroom. The showerhead in the bathroom we used was very old and leaked pretty bad. The towels are small basic hotel towels. It would be nice if they had bath sheets. Overall, the suite itself was good for our needs even though we had a few glitches.

The hotel provides free hot breakfast every day. That's a great benefit. We had eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, cereal, yogurt, juice, pastries, etc. They also have a nice pool area that was open and we used it. They provide towels at the pool and you use your room key to access the pool. The hotel is 100% non smoking. If you're caught smoking, there is a $250 fee. Our neighbors smoked like chimneys and the day they left we had to listen to loud carpet cleaning machines for a few hours.

The hotel is located directly across the street from the Arizona Mills Mall that has every store and food chain imaginable. It's also within a block of every fast food chain you can think of. Lastly, there's a CVS Pharmacy in the parking lot of the hotel which is very handy for buying juice, milk, etc. The hotel also offers room service from early AM to around 11 PM.

The only thing I didn’t like about the hotel was the $250 a night price tag. It was a nice suite but I don’t think the suite warranted the rate. I think $200 would have been more appropriate. But we needed that configuration and we’d never been to Phoenix so we went with what we could find online. I’d recommend this hotel but try to find a better rate. They also offer studio and one bedroom suites.

Stayed February 2007