“Great Place”

Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Place”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

For the value conscious traveler, this is a great buy! They make you feel very welcome and provide very good service. Terrific location -- close to freeway, shopping and great restaurants in the immediate vicinity. They even give you a free breakfast.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, they have a second building on the south side.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for the tips to our future travelers and being here in the hot summer with us! We wish you safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Streamwood, Illinois
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Love this place, the staff is great and the premises are clean, you are welcome to bring your extended family ( pets) my wife and I always look for a place were we can bring our two kids ( dogs ) and this place is the best for us. The price is right friendly staff and great breakfast. We spend the last two nights cooking by the grill with friends by the fire pit. And now we are planing a next year reunion with all of my good friend that I have made here !!! I hope some day I have the pleasure to meet you here and have new friends.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Wow we are so glad that you have had an excellent time being here with us! As an extended stay property we as staff and managers make a lot of new friends and family and are so happy that you had tiem to do the same as well! Give us a call and we would love to welcome the whole friendly crew back next year for a special event! Thank you and see you again soon!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Only stayed the one night, but liked the location of hotel and friendly staff. The room appeared to have been recently refurbished with new carpeting etc. Location is good for access to freeways and near to Arizona Mills shopping mall. Breakfast selection included hot dishes, cereal, and fresh fruit. The service from the young man in the breakfast room was very good, he came round offering smoothies and an additional hot item as one of the warmers was out of order, great service. Public areas were well maintained and clean.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you so much for the review and staying with us! Champion in the breakfast area does a remarkable job taking care of his guests in the morning and loves to have with little surprises like homemade smoothies. I am glad you felt right at home and can't wait to welcome you back soon!
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 7, 2014

After a long day of sight seeing between Tucson & Tempe, including a harrowing drive along the Apache Trail, we arrived at 6PM at what we thought was our hotel for the night but were told that for some reason, management had to close out a couple rooms so there were none left. But they were able to put us in a room next door at the TownPlace Suites. Our favorite Marriott hotel when we are road tripping is Springhill Suites because of the ability to get 2 queen beds & plenty of space. We were not happy about this change, but what can you do? So we drove next door & checked in with a very pleasant front desk clerk. No problems with the staff, but we were in their secondary building & not the main one which meant we had to walk across the courtyard to get to the office or other amenities or breakfast in the AM. Our room must have been their studio suite as there was only a queen bed & a sofa bed. The room itself was very nicely decorated but it felt squished in compared to what we are used to. There was no way we could both sleep in the small queen bed (I wondered if it actually was a full queen bed), so also had to use the sofabed. With that out, there was literally no room to move around in that space. The TV was on a stand which was not easy to get passed from the bed when going to the bathroom or kitchen area. We were not able to hook up to their WiFi. The kitchen area was fine as was the bathroom. It was pretty quiet for sleeping. Breakfast was adequate. This wasn't our choice of hotel, in fact, we've never stayed at this type of property before, and we probably wouldn't return to one anywhere simply because we prefer other Marriott properties better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
I am sorry you were not prepared orginally to stay with us, but found the staff friendly and services adequate for your needs. Thank you still for the review and hope you have safe travels to your next destination.
West Chesterfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I am a professional travel agent. I recently stayed here for 9 nights. I chose this hotel because I was here on family business and I needed an extended stay that would provide me with a fridge, microwave,cook top, pans, dishes et. We were not sure how long we would stay so this was the perfect choice keeping my budget in check.

Staff: Amazing. I have never seen a hotel at this price point with a staff who is dressed neatly, professionally and well coiffed. Suites, ties, slacks..and they always acknowledge you with eye contact. Housekeeping, very sweet and polite (don't forget to tip the house keeping staff when you are at a hotel) I did not interact with the shuttle staff but they did say hello when they were outside. The grounds are immaculate. The pool is sweet and there is an arbor with a fire pit for late night relaxing. We really used the pool area. Peaceful, serene. The gardens are great.

Breakfast: Standard free hotel breakfast, good, healthy options, cereal, fruit, milk, yogurt ect. And the young man who was working in the absence of the kitchen person who was on vacation did an awesome job! Clean and replenished constantly. The only thing I would change is have creamer in a thermos. I really dislike opening up those silly little creamers.

Market Area:well stocked, treats and food, ice cream,drinks, health and beauty items and everything you could need in a pinch pretty much.

Rooms, spacious enough. Nice couch and chair, coffee table, fun rug and a nice work desk. I did not get the suite with the 'office' but if you are settled in to work a lot while here, I do recommend it. Large self contained desk, shelves, outlets and more elbow room but the rooms are exactly the same size and decor.

Linens, good, different pillow types on the bed, duvet. Closet good size, lots of storage, full size iron board and the doors are mirrored for additional dressing space. Bathroom good, decor again is marvelous. My particular room, 315 had some obvious shower repair as there is caulking and the shower head could be cleaned but again, this is not the Ritz, this is a mass market product on the lower cost end of a Marriott product so if you are extremely picky, you may want to upgrade to a higher end Marriott product that's all. (Oh hair and body products by Paul Mitchell)

Fitness Room: Bike, Tread, free weights.. clean and basic. I used all the equipment and it was all in perfect condition.

Bonus! Guest Laundry, do a load yourself for $1.00 and dry $1.00

You can never go wrong with a Marriott product. Its consistent, its good service and its clean. If you are on a budget, you need a safe place to lay your head, a good breakfast to start your day.. this is ideal.

I didnt take picture this time around, maybe tomorrow when we leave.

Lisa Fitzgerald, Certified Professional Travel Agent, Fitzgerald Agency

Room Tip: Room 315 was our room, end of hall and faced the front. Long walk from elevator. Ask for pool view...
Green Features: This hotel is a green hotel. There are energy minders through out.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
We take a lot of pride in our hotel and have a lot of fun at the same time! The details of your review are greatly appreciated and we will continue to bring the best service that your received to everyone coming in everyday. We were so happy to be your host in Tempe for those 9 days and can't wait to have you or your travelers here again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I would recommend the TownePlace in Tempe to everyone becaues of the excellent customer service they continually provided through out my stay. The hotel is great for families and dog-lovers. The rooms are clean and the property is located in an awesome area. Also the hotel has a fire pit, pool and a grill which is cleaned on a regular basis. I love this hotel because of the staff willingness to help and ensure your stay is pleasent.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the third are quiet and have a more cozy felling.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank YULANDA F
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for the review and recommendation to future travelers! I am amazed on a daily basis at what great service our staff provides, and am glad we brought the excellence to your stay. Thank you so much for being here and hope to have you back soon. Safe travels!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I am staying at this hotel for 7 months and it feels like my second home. My room is just right and is very comfortable. The hotel management and employees are ALL extremely friendly and constantly go out of their way to make sure guests wishes and needs are met. My room is clean and has everything I need. The hotel grounds are well kept and very pretty.
The breakfast is fantastic and the waffle maker is my best friend :)
Also the location is great. Its located across the Mall and close to the airport.
I have my two dogs with me and they love this hotel . There is a large grass area which is perfect for the dogs.
The shuttle service is great too. If the shuttle is on another run don't be surprised if you get picked up by a manager or employee in their personal car.
This long stay at this hotel has been great and the awesome service will make me a loyal Marriott customer in the future.
P.S.: Carlos makes the BEST cookies :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kathi13
7 months away from home can be dreadful, but with the company of your dogs I am glad you are enjoying everything! We love having you here and absolutely no one can get enough of Carlos's cookies! Our favorite thing of all is that we have solidified your trust in Marriott and in our special services. Thank you for the review and please enjoy the rest of your extended stay.