“nice enough”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tempe
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Clean hotel, nothing major I would complain about. It was a busy weekend, so there was nowhere to sit at breakfast, but that's not the worst thing in the world. The staff was very friendly and cooperative. My minor gripe would be the vending machines - $2 for a 12oz can of pop, and the snacks machine was equally overpriced, and also had many items being sold well after the expiration date.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The location of the Holiday Inn Express Tempe on the grounds of the Arizona Mills Mall was wonderful for access to shopping, restaurants and movie theaters. The staff was very accommodating for directions and other extras we needed. The breakfast buffet was well stocked and the fresh coffee and cookies in the afternoon were a nice touch.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had booked several rooms, or so we thought, and when our group arrived we were told that we didn't have reservations. Rather than try to help us, the manager tried to "blame" us by saying that it was all our fault. Having talked to the person who had taken our reservations, this person had given the info to the manager. Who knows what happened to it from there. I refuse to stay at this hotel and do not recommend it to anyone who happen to have large groups of 30 or more. I complained to the coporate office, but all that happened was that they had the manager contact me and he wanted to know what he could do? I replied that there was nothing he could do now, if he wanted to help us, he should have done it the night we needed help. It was a "nightmare" and the worst experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharyl W
Donald K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Our policies have since changed for group bookings.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at this property for 1 night in late January 2013. What a pleasant surprise it was. It's on the outlying lot of the Mills mall, which was very convenient when it came time to do some shopping. The room was large and well laid out. The wifi was nice and quick, and the front desk staff very coureous and attentive. The stay was brief, but I would still rate this a perfect place for any occasion. The breakfast was very good, lots of hot choices, and plenty of options to choose from. If I ever get back to this part of the country, I'll book a room at this hotel because of it's proximity to the interstate, the Airport, and the Mills Mall.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last May, and decided to give it another go. I have to admit, my last stay here was less than stellar. However, they have raised the quality of the quality of the Breakfast service, which was a pleasant surprise. I had booked a room for a collogue, but he did not receive my communication, and booked at another hotel. I was able to cancel without any penalty, which I really appreciated! I was also upgraded to a better room without asking as I am a Priority Club member. I would definitely return with no hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pjriccio
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is where I always stay when I go to Phoenix. Convenient to the airport. Fast food restaurants are close by as well as a mall for shopping if needed. Always quiet when I stay here. Average hotel breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wes B
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stay here quite frequently during my trips to Arizona. I go back and forth quite a bit to Las Vegas and this is my mid stopping point. I usually check in on friday mid afternoon and depart sunday morning after breakfast! This hotel has all I need. The staff is outstanding. The Assistant General Manager, Joe is AMAZING! Last weekend he gave me a ride to Kinkos so I could mail some ornaments that I did not trust flying with. He is very knowledgeable about his job and cares very much about it. The breakfast is nice, the pool was under maintenance, but it was to conform to new federal guidelines. It is fine, I am sure on one of my 26 trips there next year it will be open. This hotel is great. I love it here!

Room Tip: Room overlooking parking or odd numbered are best.