“Great Hotel, Unique Decor”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Los Angeles, CA
“Great Hotel, Unique Decor”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

As my husband and I arrived at this hotel, we found it very unique in that the hotel is pretty much built into this rock formation in Tempe. We checked in and followed a bell boy down to our room as he drove a golf cart and we followed behind him. He showed us to our room and offered to help with whatever we needed which was nice.

The room was pretty nice and it immediately felt like a spa resort. The bathroom and bedroom were clean.

We had some drinks up at the hotel bar which was nice and the gift shop has some unique Arizona trinkets that you can purchase.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. They didn't have free wireless internet and you have to pay for parking but other than that, it was a good hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Buttes-Auditor, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, March 26, 2011
We appreciate that you took the time to write a review for us and are very glad you enjoyed your stay! You stated that you had some drinks at the bar, and I would like to mention that if you ever stay for the weekend again on Saturday nights starting at 830pm we have a live band playing in our sports bar the Tequila on the Rocks bar across the courtyard from the lobby/conference center and on the first floor of the building which also has our Top of the Rock restaurant with a beautiful panoramic view of the city with floor to ceiling windows. Also we are currently upgrading and will be offering free internet to all of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I read the reviews and was a little afraid to stay. Glad I went! This is a great, VERY unique hotel built into the side of a large hill. I would come back, for sure, and bring my family.

PROS:

Heated pools
Hot tub areas on cliff sides
Nice grounds
Comfortable beds
Great showers
Updated rooms
Excellent breakfast
Courteous staff
Location is excellent

CONS:

Can be a long walk to your room
Doors opening/closing in hall noisy
Tube TVs
$10 a day for self parking?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to place a review for us we appreciate it very much! The rooms in our newest building are a little bit farther from the main part of the hotel, which is why we do offer a bellman to pick you up from your room and give you a ride to the front of the hotel, we also have a heated spa near the newer building, which is secluded from the rest of the pool area for a more private and enjoyable experience for those staying in the newer building. Also when that building was added we made sure all of the rooms were larger as well by over 150sq.ft. We are also upgrading all of the televisions in all of the rooms to be Flat Screen T.V.s.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This is one of those hotels that can only be described as "simply amazing". It is one of the best that I have stayed at. It is nestled in a beautiful hillside overlooking the Maricopa Freeway, Sky Harbor International Airport and Downtown Phoenix. Sun Devil Stadium at Arizona State University can also be seen from the hotel. It has a beautiful view of the mountains that surround the city and it is beautiful as the colors of the mountains change from sunrise to sunset. The staff at this hotel is also exceptional. Every person from the housekeepers to the front desk staff had a very nice, warm attitude and they certainly have a great sense of hospitality. The rooms were great. They have plenty of light, both from lamps but also from the large window. We kept our window open during our entire stay and it was nice to have the fresh air from outside but also the soothing noise of the freeway in the distance. The rooms were very large, the bathroom was very nice with a large glass shower and the beds were very comfortable. My only two complaints with the resort are both minimal and both have to do with the guest room. First, there is a limited number of television channels available compared to most hotels. And, second, there is no free internet which can be expected from a resort, but it was still disappointing. However, there is a computer for use near the front desk. This hotel also has many recreation options from hiking to swimming. All of the hot tubs and pools are very nice. The food was also quite good. Overall, this hotel was extremely good, and I certainly do hope that I am able to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010
Thank you very much! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again! Next time you see us you could be getting free internet, as we will be offering free internet to all of our guests soon, we are currently working on many projects and upgrades. Thank you again for your review!
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed November 29, 2010

As regular Marriott guests, we highly recommend the Buttes resort. The location is within 15 minutes of Sky Harbor and 5 minutes of the expressway to get anywhere in the Phoenix area. The design of the resort allows the feel of being out in the openness with views in several directions. As with all Marriott resorts, the staff could not have been more helpful with all of our needs from food options, activity planning and spa treatments. If you have the chance while in the area, stay for at least a night to have a great experience.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Would you pay $120 + tax/fees to sleep on a sofa bed? That was exactly what happened to me. I booked a room with a king size bed. When I arrived, the girl at the front desk advised that I had been "upgraded" to a junior suite, which is bigger than a regular room. When I walked into my room, I was shocked to find that my "junior suite" has a tv, a sofa, and a big conference table. I was about to spend the night in a conference room!!!

I figured I'd keep an open mind and waited for housekeeping to open the sofa bed before deciding whether I'd stay there. My colleague and I went out to dinner. The sofa bed was opened when I returned to the room. I tried out the sofa bed; it was extremely uncomfortable with springs sticking into my back. To top it off, since the sofa is now opened into a bed, there wasn't really a spot I could sit comfortably and work. I called the front desk and asked to be transferred to another room. The hotel staff said they were overbooked for the night (how do you overbook a hotel??!!) and did not have another room to move me to. They offered to put additional padding on the sofa bed and to comp my breakfast.

Despite having woken up at 5:00 am that morning for my business trip and being dead tired, I still had a tough time falling asleep on the sofa bed that night. I was appalled at how Buttes treated this situation. Other hotels would have arranged for the guest to stay at another hotel of equal of better quality. All I wanted was a comfortable bed to rest up for the night but instead, I got a conference room. I will not return to Buttes and will advise my colleagues to think twice before booking a room there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank xtine13
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Just returned home from The Buttes at Marriot in Tempe Arizona. Booked reservation online. Requested a king room, top floor with city views. Didn't care if it cost more.....assumed since I had to make those choices before finalizing payment, that was what we would get. I knew ahead of time that a king was not guaranteed. Called hotel (mind you I call it a hotel, NOT A RESORT) twice to let them know we would be a late arrival. Arrived, checked in and hurried to our room. Second floor, view of the parking lot, two doubles. Ok, no big deal. We walked around the grounds and found them to be pretty. Wasn't too worried about the room location or sleeping arrangements, we didn't plan to spend much time in the room so we just ignored the fact that none of our requests were met. We sweated all night long in our sweltering room (although we had the ac set on 60)....We had to fill out a card for housekeeping to clean our room. We selected a time between 12:30 and 2:30 for each day since we knew we'd be out and about by then. Saturday, day 3 of our 4 day stay, we arrived back to our room 8:30pm. Our room had not been cleaned. Called the front desk and asked why and the only response was, (let me call house keeping and find out why). I requested clean towels be brought to the room for early morning showering. The housekeeper brought towels that looked like they came from the stash of pool towels, I lifed the top wash cloth off the stack and the next cloth down had a long black hair on it. EW!!! Never did hear from the front desk person, no phone call to make sure we received our towels and no apology or explaination for our room not being serviced.
The staff at The Butte gave us the impression they clock in and out each day, do their job and really don't care if your satisfied or not. The tv in the room is old school, a little 19 incher inside a chest. I feel if their going to call themselves a resort, they should update their rooms and try just a little to make their customers feel a little pampered. We had friends staying at a Red Roof Inn and I'd have to say that their room was more comfortable (their air conditioner worked)! And cost 25% of what we payed. I would recommend The Butte if they reduced their pricing by half, had free parking and promised to make their visitors always feel important. Otherwise, I'll have to say that our next trip to the Tempe will not include a stay at The Butte Marriot.

2 Thank disatisified
Toronto
Reviewed November 11, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a 1 week stay at the Buttes to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and we strongly recommend this hotel as a terrific centrally located base for a trip to Arizona, as it offers a great balance of comfortable accommodation, central location near the highway, interesting architecture, great pool and spa, and a surprising amount of rustic seclusion for a hotel situated in a city. It was our first trip to Arizona, and we rented a car and travelled around the state on several daytrips, to Flagstaff and Sedona, Talesein West in Scottsdale, the Apache Trail, Tombstone and Tuscon. We also like to check the Diners Dives and Drive-Ins website whenever we travel in the States for fun places to eat. This hotel has a lot to offer for anyone who plans an active vacation. It is in the city and offers easy access to the highway system. But at the same time it's tucked away up a small mountain and offers a surprising amount of quiet and geographic beauty. The food in the bar (which has a wonderful view of the city) was also a wonderful surprise, and be sure and have the quesidillas. The poolside experience was excellent, as the pools are very large and well maintained, and closed in by a beautiful hillside. I've read other's comments about airplanes, but I didn't find this to be a factor at all. The staff were uniformly friendly and outgoing, and be sure and consult Tammy the concierge with any touring plans you want to make as she is extremely helpful and knowledgable. This may not be the perfect spot for someone who is looking for a more stationary "resort" experience, but for someone who is looking a good balance of features for a more active Arizona experience then this is a perfect place to stay. The only downsides would be the daily charge for parking and fees for internet access. I also think the time has come for hotels to have ipod docks in rooms, but this is more of a general comment on hotels in general then this one in particular. We will definitely be returning to Phoenix and to the Buttes, because we couldn't do all the things we wanted to do in 7 days.

1 Thank 1967PONTIACGTO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix Tempe
Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix / Tempe
Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!