“Great Stay at The Buttes”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed July 13, 2007

My wife and I stayed at The Buttes on our trip to Phoenix to play golf. First the good things about the resort. The people are very friendly, the hotel is centrally located and so it is pretty to convenient to just about anywhere in the valley, the pool area is top notch so is the drink service at the pool, the rooms are pretty nice eg. comfortable beds, stayed cool, decent tv, good mini bar selections and cheaper compared to most hotels as well. The indifferent - the hotel is spread out, its not up and down so there is walking involved here. Our room was in the last building and our walk to the pool was only maybe a couple hundred yards if that far. There is work going on at the hotel, they are updating rooms and I was told that the hallways will be next which did need updating but they did not smell to me as some of the other reviews have stated. Furthermore, none of the work ever bothered us, we did see some of the workers but we never heard their work nor did we ever smell anything or really see them other than in the rooms they were working on. The negatives - there really were no negatives I can think of other than the price for the food in their market cafe is too outrageous for the quality and what you get. Other observations - The Top of the Rock restaurant was good. In the lobby they sell starbuck coffees and feature almost eh entire menu. By the pool and in the lobby they have free refreshments eg. lemonade and coffee in the mornings. Lastly, the Buttes is up high but it is not in a remote location, and the bottom of the butte across the street there are numerous fast food establishments and a short drive in any direction gives you more options. I have no complaints about the resort. It was clean, a greatvalue for the price and next time I go to Phoenix to golf I will be staying at the Buttes.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JohnFromHouston23

Reviewed June 11, 2007

The resort is located in a beautiful setting. It has 3 pools, 3 or 4 spas and a winding waterslide. Our children had LOTS of fun here!! The rooms were spacious and very clean. Ours was located right across from the slide pool, so it got very noisy, but it was okay because we were on vacation and we needed to get up anyway. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank TxModelo
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Although located in a beautiful location our recent 1 week stay left a lot to be desired. The number one embarrassment was being asked to leave the pool because we hadn't received the proper armband identification at check-in. Things started poorly when our room wasn't ready at the 3 PM check-in time. The room had a peculiar, musty odor. There is a $9.95 daily charge for Internet access, no hairdryer, no microwave in the room and the refrigerator is full of "mini-bar" items. Prices were excessive with the breakfast buffet costing $17 and no other local eating options due to the isolation of the resort.

The hotel was full over Memorial Day weekend and in an effort to control "pool crashers" management started to issue armbands. However, those of us who were already in our rooms didn't receive any and no signs were posted at the pool advising of this change from the prior day. After watching the security guard run off 2 ladies he next attacked me. He wouldn't accept the room key as verification of guest status and instructed me to walk to the main desk to get an armband. When I balked at this he threatened to call the police. All management had to say on this incident was that they were trying to protect access to the pool for hotel guests. An apology was not forthcoming.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kydonut
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We spent a few days here while visiting Phoenix. The hotel is very close to the airport but with out the noise of the planes. The views at night are amazing from the hotels resturant, the pool and bar area. The hotel resturant was excellent and nice to be able to enjoy a few drinks with out having to worry about driving. The pool was busy but very clean and open late too which is nice when you spend most of the day sight seeing. The hotel is large and if you can not walk long distances I would ask for a room close to the entrance. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We ordered room service that was at the room on time and still hot. The staff was very helpful and willing to go out of their way. Our shower head was leaking and we had someone at our room within 5 minutes and it was replaced. If you are looking for something right in the middle of all of the happening resturants you will have about a 15 minute drive. Seeing I did most of the driving I would have preferred to stay in Scottsdale while visiting the Phoenix area. Don't get me wrong there is stuff around the hotel but not the resturants we wanted to visit. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scorp2413
Reviewed April 14, 2007

I stayed at the hotel for five nights and it exceeded my expectations. I felt it was more of a four or five star experience than the three stars it is rated. Upon arrival, my car door was opened and I was invited inside to register and given a cold bottle of water. That was a just what I needed after a long day of flying. All employees were extremely helpful and friendly.

The rooms were very clean with above average bedding and toiletries. The rooms also had complimentary bottled water and coffee.

Because I read these reviews prior to departure, I requested a room facing the pool and gardens. And based on the noise of I10 during my morning walks, I would recommend you do the same. It was noisey facing in the direction of the interstate.

The pool areas, gardens, flowers were all beautiful. Gardeners were constantly working and very friendly. The pool bar was well manned and the waiter at the pools was always available, contrary to other reviews.

Eating breakfast at the Market Cafe in the mornings was wonderful. You can eat outside near the waterfalls and flowers and the buffet, while expensive ($15) it is fantastic quality food and it is all you can eat. All food I experienced was very good.

I would recommend this Marriott resort.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank NEFrequentTraveler
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Buttes for 10 days in late March. The property is beautiful. It is cut into the hillside, with 2 lovely pools, a waterfall in the market cafe, and very comfortable beds. It has all of the makings for a top resort. Unfortunately,- it is just not there yet. It was the little things that brought the property down. We had booked via internet on the hotel's website months in advance of our stay. We had guaranteed a resort view room with king size bed. A week or so before our stay the hotel emailed and asked whether we wanted extra pillows, a fridge in the room etc. Sounded perfect.... However, upon arrival (mid day- not late) we found that our resort view room had been given away to another guest. In fact, the front desk claimed not to know of our guaranteed reservation, and said that our price was good anyway for a (cheaper) city view room. When we showed the paper guaranteeing our type room and the rate, we had to wait 45 minutes while the front desk tried to figure out what to do. We eventually were given the room we booked,- but little things kept cropping up . When you pay close to $300/night during high season, you expect no kinks.....
What else kept the property from being great? Small things that added up. For example, the maids didn't make up our room one day,- we were charged over $100 for a spa appointment on our bill which we never made or went to , and internet access is $10/day- on a 3 PM to 3 PM shift. This means that if you want to use your internet in the morning before you go out, you either pay $10 and then only have use until 3 PM,- or pay $10 then, and $10 more dollars at 3 PM. Silly.
On the whole, the property is lovely, and centrally located. Perhaps the changeover from Wyndam to Marriott has been slower than expected. However, the 4 other guests we were with had similar experiences with their rooms, so I believe that our stay was not out of the ordinary.

Stayed: March 2007
5  Thank Marigot1
Reviewed April 1, 2007

This hotel has some beautiful grounds and views of the Tempe/Phoenix area but needs to be updated. The rooms are very small and the bathroom set up is awkward with it being partially open to the sleeping area. However, if the room was redecorated and the bathroom closed in more and also updated it would be fine. We have been in small rooms before but if they are decorated well we don't even seem to notice. It looks like they are working on renovations now. The bed was great with new down bedding. Beautiful pool area but very poor pool service. It would have been nice if the waiter around the pool had come around more than once in two hours. We had to go to the bar and get our own drinks. Overall a very lovely property but unless you can get a bargain discounted price as we did it is not worth the average $250 a night price they ask.

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank monarchtravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
MOXY Phoenix Tempe
#10 of 53 in Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!