“Great Place”

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Denver
“Great Place”
Reviewed February 8, 2006

I stayed at the Wyndham with my wife for an extended weekend January 26-29. I paid $60 a night through priceline and found that to be an excellent price for this 4 star resort. The weather was perfect and the hotel was not that full.

Hung out at the pristine outdoor pools most of the time and enjoyed the days in the sun with excellent pool side service. There are also a couple of very nice hot tubs near the pool that made for a quiet romantic evening staring at the stars.

The room was very nice with large marble bathroom and large tub and shower. The bed was very comfortable although I have had better at other Wyndham properties. Room had a great mountain view and although the resort is near the highway, the traffic noise was non-existent.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant because Tempe offers so many great dining choices and our favorite was Oregano's Italian. The hotel was also in a great location next to the Angels training camp, close to the airport, and had many conveniences within a block or two. Overall great experience!

11 Thank ropster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 4, 2006

We stayed at the Wyndham Buttes Resort as part of our Fiesta Bowl package and we deeply regret selecting this package. As one other reviewer stated, this is a hotel and not a resort. Everything about it did not meet standard but the prices for everthing from the room to the food to the beer at the bar are resort level pricing, i.e. expensive. I have no problem paying for quality but this was bush league.

Our room faced the freeway and the road noise was loud and never-ending. Curtains might have helped deaden the sound, but as another reviewer noted the windows are covered by only shutters which block neither sound nor light adequately.

The smell of the room was awful although we requested a non-smoking room. The room had either been smoked in or had not been properly cleaned prior being converted to a non-smoking room. In addition, it smelled musty. The condition of the bathroom/dressing area was also unacceptable. You could barely see your hand in from of your face in the shower due to such poor lighting and the bottom of the door jamb was rotted out. Just nasty.

The rocks surrounding the hotel are beautiful but you are isolated from commercial services. The street is half a mile from the lobby but walking down to the street doesn't do you much good because there are virtually no services in that area of Tempe which looks like a warehouse district.

We arrived back at the hotel around 8 pm after the Fiesta Bowl and went to the Market Cafe for dinner. There was no line and we were seated immediately. It took 75 minutes for us to get our dinner. We called over the manager and asked him what was the problem. He blamed the slow service on all the people who had ordered dinner (probably a lot of room service orders along with the folks in the 75% full restaurant) in a short period of time without making a reservation! He said he hadn't staffed properly because he had had no warning of what the demand was going to be. No warning? The hotel was COMPLETELY booked and the Fiesta Bowl was happening that day. What more do you need?

I will give them credit for a nice pool area. There are multiple pools and they all appeared to be clean and well-maintained.

10 Thank Laura E
Reviewed January 18, 2006

I recently stayed at the Buttes Resort for three nights. I had a pleasant stay although one morning some men were rather loud in the hallway at 6am. The room was very clean and large. The bed was as fairly comfortable as were the pillows. I was only able to go to the pool one day but it was fine. The first night I ate the the Top of the Rock restaurant. It was kind of pricey and the food selection was rather interesting but overall the food was very tasty.
I would stay at this hotel again if the price was right.

Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oregon
Reviewed January 17, 2006

We stayed at the Buttes in association with the Phoenix Rock 'n' Roll half marathon so, I'm sure we payed way too much for one of their "special race packages". While the hotel (and it really is a hotel, not a resort) was adequate and the staff was pleasant, we had an unusual number of problems.

First, they put us in a ground floor room with a view directly into the solid green fence surrounding the tennis court 15 feet from the window. My husband thought it was too cave-like so they graciously moved us up a few floors. That room smelled so badly (cigarettes, b.o., vomit? god only knows) and was so loud from the freeway running behind the parking lot that I literally could not get to sleep that night. The next day we moved to a less smelly and much quieter room on the side away from the freeway (the mountain view room) for $10 more a night.

The Market Cafe was pretty uninspiring. My husband's blueberry pancakes were raw, our friend's nacho plate had so much salt on it they were completely inedible, and the service was horribly slow at every single meal we ate there (four meals in total). They did give us the pancakes (after they cooked us some new ones) and nachos for free but, I'd rather have it right the first time. The prices are high ($10 for pancakes?) and the $16 breakfast buffet is very overpriced for what it is.

The hotel is a long way from anything. If you don't have your own car, plan on spending $15 to $30, one way, to get anywhere worth going. They do try to trick you into getting a town car service instead of a cab. But the cabs are only marginally cheaper.

That said, the hotel does have a very nice pool and the staff was pleasant and professional. It's right next to one of the spring training camps, for the Athletics I think. It wasn't the worst hotel I've ever been to but, I wouldn't stay there again.

7 Thank thundergirl
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 2, 2006

We had a brief stay at the Wyndham Buttes last May during one of the warmest May weekends in recent memory. The check-in and valet service at the lobby was quick and efficient. The lobby is located on top of the butte and our room was quite a drive from there. I found the room itself to be clean, spacious, modern, and typical of this hotel's class. We had a drink in the lounge, but did not eat in the restaurant. The lounge had a great view over the Phoenix/Tempe valley at sunset and I imagine the one at the restaurant is even better as it sits one floor above. What we found to be the hotel's best attribute was the pool. It was large with several separate seating areas and we had no trouble finding a couple of chairs. There is a slide which is great for kids and even fun for older kids like myself. The buttes surrounding the pool make for a great setting.

There was, however, one glaring issue which makes me hesitant to recommend this hotel. I got a terrible night's sleep there. First, the place was noisy. We did have a room that faced out onto the highway and there was definately audible highway noise in the room. Second, and most annoying to me, was the absence of curtains in the room. There were these white wooden blinds and no matter how you configured them, they were wholly inadequate to keep the light out in the morning. I was up way too early because of them. To rely only on blinds and not curtains in a hotel room is inexcusable. I guess if you're a heavy sleeper, or have to get up early for a flight (it is close to the airport), then maybe it won't bother you. At least we didn't pay a whole lot for the room. For the price, I'd still consider it a decent value.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank larbear76
Reviewed December 24, 2005

I checked into my room only to find 2 door entry cards on the bed. Apparently room service made up the room before the guests left. There were urine deposits on and around the toilet, and a used towel. I reported this in person to the front desk. Their response was no response - no apology, no action taken. They looked like deer caught in the headlights. They apparently are not equiped to recognize a complaint and respond to it. Definitely not trained.

I later received a credit card bill for another $44.43. I have stayed at this resort 3 times since the company pays for the room. This is the 2nd year in a row that this "extra" billing has been included at a later date. As before, I have called to complain as there could be no such charge.

I went down to the cafe for breakfast. I was placed at a table that had not been cleaned off. I was sure that the hostess noticed and also the waiter, but no one cleaned it off. Then I was served my 3-egg omelet (they must use pygmy chickens cause my 3-egg omelets are much larger). There was no buttered toast, no marmalades, a dry white bun (stale), and a huge hunk of white rice - who eats that for breakfast? I would have been better served at Denny's. I asked for a glass of water, took one sip that tasted like toilet water and shoved it aside.

One extremely bad experience out of 3. I guess that makes it a 5 star resort. Will never stay there again even if the room is paid for. Who needs the aggravation of chasing down extra charges? And the rooms are nothing to write home about. In fact, I consider these rooms to be a "downgrade".

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Below is my comments to the hotel in response to their survey.

As far as good things. Service at the Sunday brunch was great. The food I've had better. Also the setting is fantastic.

I called before I arrived to schedule a shuttle. Without my knowing they transferred me to the towncar company. I thought how great a shuttle for $7 that happens to be a towncar. VERY DECEPTFUL. On your website it says shuttle for $7 that is what I expect when I call the hotel. So when I arrived it was a shock to pay $18 for the town car.

Then because again it says on your website FREE SHUTTLE TO LOCAL ATTRACTIONS. we called downstairs and again they said no this is not correct. So I ask for a cab. The receptionist says sorry we don't call cabs because they do not show up. So I ask for the number. Instead of giving me AAA cabs they give me the number for AAA roadside service. So I have to call again. The cab driver comes on time and is very kind and tells us the true story. That your hotel trys to scam its guests into taking towncars everywhere. Sorry but your hotel is not a 5 star hotel with wealthy clients. Anyone from a major city would expect to take a cab to places. And it's sad that you tell your guests that cabs don't come and shove them into towncars and tell the cab drivers that the guests "decided to take a towncar instead". is it really worth $5 a head to you?

Also the room was ok. loved the patio but the shower is HORRIBLE. there is no light we had to shower in the dark or open the curtain and the water got eveywhere. the mattresses could also use a mattress pad.
the hotel is in such a beautiful setting that it's sad the rooms don't reflect the surroundings.

and your spa was also horrible. where do you guys get off charging so much for a spa that is just a few rooms put together. I felt like was going to teaching institute for spa services not a real spa. but i had to pay spa prices. Really it was shameful. The massage was great. but come on it better be for that price and tiny locker room.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!