“Resort, but not a destination”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
St. Louis, MO
“Resort, but not a destination”
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I have probably stayed in 100 Marriott Hotels in the last 5 years, and tend to prefer the brand. While in Phoenix for Spring Break, I could not get the JW Desert Ridge on points, and instead decided to try out the Buttes for two nights. I had just come from two nights at the Phoenician, but I think I can judge the property for many.

This is a bit of an "odd ball" resort. It's location is alongside a major highway near the airport, yet you are absolutely stranded at the resort without a rental car. It is literally built in to the side of a mountain, and while it has some cool architechure, I found it more "Holidome" than Frank Lloyd Wright. The pool is very nice, and big and has a water slide that kept the kids busy. Most of those staying seemed to be in town to see the California Angels, who has a Spring Training Facility just down the road. That seems to be what this hotel would likely be best for.....watching Spring Training games.

A couple of things of note. First, you will have great access to the airport and Phoenix Zoo if you stay here. Second, this hotel is literally built on a side of a mountain and ifyou have little ones or older travelers, there are stairs EVERYWHERE. You will get a workout staying here, especially if you go to the pool.

The Buttes just wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't have a bad experience, but this place would likely have been better off left in its natural state.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Chicago IL
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I travel to Tucson & Phoenix every year in February and prefer to stay in 3+ star properties. We stayed with a large group of friends, family, and business associates for a golf outing.

We arrived on Saturday afternoon to check in. The valet assisted us with our rental while we checked in- I had a Jeep Wrangler and did not know how to take the top down and how voluntered to show us!

There was a miscommunication with the front desk on the number of rooms needed for Saturday night. We worked with Fields and he was incredibly helpful in adding the additional room in a timely manner.

We had drinks in the lobby bar and dinner in the Market Cafe- all reasonably priced with good service. We then went to Tequila on the Rocks (Hotel Bar) to see the band. Our (large) group got a table together with constant wait service.

The pools and spas are beautiful (having previously stayed here last year) but were closed before 11 pm.

We had an early flight so I requested a wake up call which was received on time. My bill was already under my door at 530 am and the tv check out was very easy.

I have to say that this property boasts an incredible location, views, and service and I would absolutely recommend it.

**Try the complimentary Cactus Juice in the lobby.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Fayette City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We had to go there for a conference and thought we HAD to stay at this hotel. The rooms were VERY overpriced. I guess just because they have a spa, they think that they can charge more. The conference paid for our meals, thank goodness, because I saw the prices on the menus and would not have eaten there. Also, you're stranded up at the resort. Unless you have a rental car, there is no where to walk to go shopping or go to other restaurants. There's also a $10 per day parking charge in Tempe, you have to pay to use the internet, and it seemed like there were hidden charges everywhere. The staff was nice but I wouldn't go back.

California
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Stayed at the Buttes Marriott in Tempe, AZ for this year's NBA All-star weekend and found it a pleasure.

The hotel is located about 20-minutes from downtown Phoenix.

The surroundings are "very Arizona" with lots of Southwestern touches, cactus and boulders.

The pool area was pleasant with a nice outdoor bar.

My room had a view of the pool and waterslide. While the view was lovely, I must warn about kids and their noisy, relentless, play on the waterslide from sun up to sundown. Also, the maids on my floor (2) started at 8AM on the dot and were vacuuming the hallway before 9AM. Forget about sleeping in!

The room was well appointed, but had no bathtub. After a remodel, all tubs in the hotel were taken out in favor of large marble showers. The closet door also doubled as the bathroom door. Inventive, but a little wierd.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room service was quite tasty.

The food in the casual dining restaurant was fair.

The ($20) car service provided by the hotel to the airport was a nice touch.

All-in-all, there was a good feeling at this hotel and, should I be visiting the Phoenix area again, I'd be happy to stay at the Buttes (just not near the pool).

Western USA
Reviewed February 15, 2009

So, we decide to travel on the "cheap" and use our Marriott reward points to pay for the room. Touted as one of their finest hotels- (a Category 6 level, their most expensive when using reward points), this place was a total dump. I've stayed in "no-name" hotels with crappy in-house restaurants better than this one. We paid top dollar with our rewards points only to encounter heat 'n serve food in the restaurant including potato flake "mashed potatoes". The food was poor while it cost twice or three times the price of a decent restaurant. We should have known something was up when we were one of only three couples there at dinner time.

The beds in the room are in dire need of replacement, the pillows were the worst we've encountered at any hotel and our room was infested with ants! If our schedule hadn't been insane, we'd have checked out of that dump immediately following dinner (our only meal there) the first night.

Marriott would do well to sell this property or set it on fire!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Being there
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DWN61
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We have stayed at this Resort many times over the past six years, and have seen the owner changes, and many refurbishments of the hotel.

We first stayed at the hotel when Wyndham hotels owned the property, and In my opinion the Wyndham compnay did a better job at running the hotel, but Marriott is doing ok.

The hotel went from very nice to just ok. The hotel is still nice but the personal touches and great service from the Wyndham is what I miss.

The lobby area is nice with a great dessert waterfall and plants in the lobby, that overflows into the reasturant down below. The Lobby also has a gift shop and is very close to the hotel convention center.

The pools are very big and have plenty of lounge chairs. There are many spas that are around the resort 'hidden' within the hillside. The one that is near the pool has a great view of the city lights. There is a pool bar however the prices are very ridiculous now that Marriott has taken over. The Wyndham prices were normal hotel prices but they are now way overpriced. One small Ice Cream was like $6.

We have stayed in rooms with a patio, and rooms with city and pool views. I personally like the patio rooms, and when Wydham owned the resort we were upgraded free to the patio which is good as the patio rooms are much more then what they should be. The rooms are fine, nothing different from the change, still very clean. The housekeeping service does a great job.

The grounds are very nice and the hotel is in a great location. For Spring training fans the resort is right next to the Angels field.

Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WDWDisneyfan
Las Vegas
Reviewed January 28, 2009

What a great property! The staff is attentive and gracious, the patio room we had was tucked in the back of the property next to the walking trail, giving it a secluded, natural feel. The Top of The Rock restaurant was great and our 4 year old loved their duck! I thought it was reasonably priced for a more upscale restaurant. They were kind enough to turn on the water slide for us even though it was only 70 degrees outside. There was a slight issue with one room service order, but they quickly took care of it and gave us a free appetizer for the trouble. The only 2 downsides: 1. the doors are not very soundproof so you could hear every noise in the hall; 2. paying $10/day for parking when they have amble parking and they are not located in a metro area. The property is located about 10 minutes from the Phoenix Zoo and ASU. I would love to stay here again!

• Liked — the setting was great!
  • Disliked — hallway noise
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!