“Very Unique Property”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed at this resort in January 2014 for a conference and absolutely loved it. I had a lovely room with a patio right next to the pool. The property is built right into a mountain side and the views are incredible. I loved walking the trails on my conference breaks. The pool area was also beautiful with plenty of lounge chairs and excellent service. I thought the spa was peaceful and very reasonably priced for a resort property. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed for renovation but I guess that just gives me an excuse to come back.

1  Thank Anne D
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback in regards to your stay during your conference here at the Buttes. We strive to be excellent and we are glad you had a great time at the hotel. We look forward to your future visits to the hotel and hopefully your schedule will allow more fun time the next time you visit. Thanks again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Close to the airport.
Only one out of three elevators was functioning which resulted in a long wait for an elevator.
The room had a shower only but no bath.
The exercise facility was very good.
Taxis to the airport were readily available.
The lobby and restaurant are pretty

1  Thank 45Ilan
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback in regards to your stay here. I am sorry that the stay was just ok. We strive to be the best, and it looks like we feel short on that expectation this stay. We are still modernizing the hotel. We are happy the guest rooms are finished, however we are still working in other areas of the hotel. We do will have the roofing project and the elevator modernization project finished here in the next 2 weeks. Other items like repaving the parking lot are coming to an end as well. We are sorry that your stay was impacted by the modernization taking place. We do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

the location and views at this hotel are really nice however the rooms and service are less than perfect. I booked 2 separate rooms for myself and children. This reservation was booked 4 months in advance with a memo stating rooms need to be located next to or on the same floor due to children being in other room. We also informed the front desk clerk one day prior to arrival of our request and Russell stated, 'no problem'. When we went to check in, they had our rooms on 2 separate floors and we were told that the hotel was sold out. Only after causing a 'scene' at the front desk did the manager make concessions to putting the rooms together on the same floor. What's the perk in being platinum? It certainly did not feel that my status was ever taken into consideration here. How about some common sense when thinking about putting a child's room next to their parents room? Also disappointing was that the house keeper missed turning over our kids room one day...and it felt as though she skipped on purpose since the kids were staying in that room. The pool(s) were nice..they have one pool for non-smoking adults and one pool for smokers. The breakfast buffet is nice and includes a view of camelback mountain....very nice to see when the sun is coming up over the mountain.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a patio...nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank bridget k

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your stay here at the property. I am truly sorry that we were not accomodating to your requests considering the time and effort you put in to ensuring that we knew what you needed prior to your arrival. While it was not our intention to mess this up, I am very sorry that the situation happened all together. Feedback like yours is valuable, as it allows us to show the staff how our mishap impacts a guest stay. I can assure you that this is not the norm when it comes to our service and how we execute requests here. Should you change your mind in staying with us again please let me know as I personally will be happy to ensure your next stay is excellent. Thank you

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was VERY impressed with this resort! First it was a beautiful resort, the staff was friendly ( staff was always saying good morning, how can I help you ... looking for ways to be of assistance... without being asked! Food was good. View outstanding, large clean rooms, wonderful pool area - with a really cool slide. Beds were very comfortable and a variety of pillows to choose from... I slept very well. What else you say? I was very impressed with Hunter when I checked in, I was hot and the dry air made me thirsty... Hunter quickly produced 2 bottles of water to help make the temperature change transition for me easier. Hunter also offered to get me extra towels or anything else I needed. One time I needed a pair of socks and he got them for me from the on site store. Guy was fantastic! Second. I ended up getting stranded in Phoenix.. could not get home to Chicago due to heavy snow. Let me tell you Christine at the front desk was a comfort to this weary traveler. I was at the airport when my flight to Chgo was cancelled on Sunday night- this happened on again on Tuesday night when the flight was cancelled yet again. Twice my flights were cancelled and I was now without luggage ( only what I was wearing). When I called the hotel to see if I could check back in (twice) I got Christine both times. She assured me I could still get my room.. and don't worry she came up with a travel kit that had everything in it. Christine made me feel like I had someone I could count on and help me during this very trying time. Originally I was there with a large group and had a special " group rate" Christine called the sales department and spoke to the gal in charge to get me the special rate throughout the extended stay. In my book this hotel went up and above board to help this stranded traveler out! I can't wait to go back to this hotel it is a great place to stay. Also there is a desk with plug outlets for electronics- nice touch. Also a place to put your ipod for music in the room. Lastly... in the room I was in there was vanity so I cold do my makeup-- that was very nice. As I read some of the other reviews... yes there are some areas that need to be touched up... but nothing glaring. The staff make up for any minor imperfections. I would recommend staying here, I know with my next trip to Phoenix... I will be back.

Room Tip: Because of the location... if you have problems walking then ask for a room near an elevator. Other...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave a 5 star review in regards to your stay here at The Buttes. We appreciate your time in sharing your experience and we hope to see you again in the future. Thanks

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a weekend trip to Phoenix. The hotel is close to the airport and at an elevation that provides great views of the city.

The Narande Spa offered high quality treatments and the pool has a really awesome slide, too :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sujatarao
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a 5 star review in regards to your great experience with us here at The Buttes. We appreciate your stay and I will share with the Spa your feedback. Do come see us again - we have renovated the hotel since your stay and we would love for you to see our new products. Thanks again

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family including 3 collegians were in town for three nights to attend a bowl game. We found the architecture to be very intriguing, as the resort is built into and around a rock formation. The rear wall of the reception area and the market café is the actual rock, complete with a small waterfall. Very nicely done, although it makes for challenges in the way the property is laid out. Easy to get around once you have studied the layout and the location of the skybridge to the lobby and café. The Top of the Rock restaurant has nice views of the city and has a very comfortable patio area for viewing and drinks. The staff is helpful and happy to assist. The pool and spa area are stunning, nicely arranged for sun as well as shade. Our only problem occurred on departure when the new wake-up call system failed to wake us up and we missed our flight. Kent, the manager was truly sorry and made amends by getting appropriate adjustment to our bill. We were able to get on the third flight out later in the day by flying standby, so we did get home that day, if somewhat tired from the stress. We would come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank spunkydad
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback in regards to your recent stay with us here at The Buttes. We have fun with the crowds the Bowl Game brings in each year. We are truly sorry for the missed wake up call, and even more that you has missed your flight. I am glad that Kent was able to provide some compensation to what was indeed a very long day. I could only imagine. Thank you and we look forward to many other stays when you are in the Tempe area. Thanks!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here after a long haul flight from England in December. We had booked well in advance and were warmly greeted by valet parking and reception. Check in was smooth and very friendly. On arrival in our room we found we did not have a bed for our two young children. This was very efficiently resolved by the delivery of a roll away bed to our room which was errected and made up very quickly. Room service was fast, efficient and reasonable food for the price.
Breakfast the following morning which was included in the price (free for children under 12 years at the time of writing) was an excellent buffet which catered for every imaginable pallet.

We had unfortunately arrived at the hotel when a number of marching bands had checked in for a parade. Issues re room size/bed allocation was dealt with at checkout with a smile a big apology and money off the bill and extra rewards points.

Would I recommend a stay here, yes I would. Very comfortable with pleasant and attentive staff. I wouldlike tostay here forlonger and experience alkl the hotel has to offer. The pools looks great and the happy hour sounds tempting.

The downside is the hotel looks tired and in need of a refurb but is very habitable. I travel a lot and have stayed in a wide range of hotels. This one had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience here at our lovely property, The Buttes. We truly appreciate your stay, and thank you for taking the time to recognize the terrific staff we have here. We are excited to continue to renovate the hotel as we agree - it is time for some upgrading. We have begun the guest rooms and are moving into the corridors and lobby area. Summer of 2014 we dive into our conference center. It is really exciting for us here at the property and we cannot wait to share it with you. We do look forward to another stay and thank you for your feedback.