“Great girls weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes

You added Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes to your Saves list
Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Formerly Wyndham Buttes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Member Rates
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
San Diego, CA
“Great girls weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We came here for a long girls weekend and had a great time.
The rooms were average. My biggest complaint about the rooms are they do not have blackout shades. The blinds allow light into the room when the sun comes up which mean an earlier wake up then I would have preferred. The room was clean although the bathroom was a little small.
The fitness center was great. Very clean and offered fruit, water, and cold towels.
The pool was beautiful. Everyone at the pool bar was very friendly and the food was great. On Friday when we were at the pool it was slow so we had to go to the pool bar to place our orders for the most part. The food was good. We went back on Sunday and they were taking poolside drink orders regularly and also handing out water which was a nice touch. The fact that half the pool was smoking seemed excessive especially since this seems like a very family friendly hotel.
The Top of the Rock restaurant had a beautiful view and everyone was nice. We went for happy hour and although the food was good the happy hour prices were still rather pricey.
Overall, our stay here was nice and I would probably stay here again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at The Buttes. We appreciate you spending your "girls weekend" with us. We do appreciate your suggestions and will make note when renovation kicks off. Thank you again and we are thrilled you enjoyed the property. Thanks again and see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

A great setting. The resort is built into the rock hill, and lends itself to picturesque views from the restaurant. The staff is good. The rooms are very nice, just what one would expect from The Marriott brand. The pool area is inviting, and there are three jacuzzis throughout. My only complaints are that since there isn't a resort fee, the property charges $10 plus tax per day for parking, and the only free wi-fi is in the lobby. I wasn't aware of the parking fee until I arrived, and I normally read the small print whenever I make reservations. Also, our room location faced the rising sun, so at about 6 am, we were suddenly woken up by bright light. The rooms only have plantation shutters with no way to darken the rooms further. The louvers allowed ample light to peek in, which is great if you have no reason to sleep in, rest, and enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: Request a room where the sunrise doesn't hit your room directly.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madeline M
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regards to your stay at The Buttes. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback in regards to your experience. We do look forward to being your destination spot each time you visit the Phoenix Tempe area. We will be glad to make sure your room faces the inside of the resort to avoid the early morning sunshine from waking you too early. Thanks again
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have been staying at the Buttes for 8 years. I just returned from being there for Memorial Day.
They rented out a large portion of this swank resort to ice hockey teams. The trash was in the pool. It seems the hotel did not have a plan on how to manage this type of group. There was not enough service by the pool.The hockey players drank heavily and spoke of urinating in the pool.
Trash was everywhere and in the pool.
The Buttes holds a special place in my heart. I now know not to stay their on holidays.

Room Tip: Patio room by the pool normally
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank CJ J
We are truly sorry that the crowd was not to your liking while here over the holiday. We have hosted hockey here over Memorial Day weekend for some time now. We do appreciate the group, but they are indeed different than the average client we host during normal business season. Holidays for resorts like ours, with beautiful pools attract the crowd that likes to celebrate the holiday. We are again very sorry and we do hope that outside the Memorial Day holiday you choose our lovely property. Thanks for the review.
Jordy272
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wow! What a great stay! I turned 21 and wanted a relaxing birthday getaway with one of my girlfriends for the weekend. We arrived Friday afternoon and Kent checked us in, what a nice guy. Later that evening he sent up some “beverages” for my birthday (how thoughtful). The entire staff of this place was always smiling and extremely friendly. However, the cooking staff at Top of the Rock Restaurant was outstanding! Gavino went out of his way to make my birthday memorable. He along with Esteban and Darren were wonderful. The filet mignon was delicious. Also Darren made a specialty drink which we named “The Darren” yum! The breakfast in the morning was also very well put together. Kevin the chef on Saturday was welcoming and happy. Amanda our server was very courteous and sweet. Overall my experience was a wonderful one. I can’t wait to come back and enjoy another fabulous weekend! Stay here if you are looking for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: My room was 2124 which had a cute balcony and was close to everything.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave another 5 star review in regards to your stay here at The Buttes. We truly enjoy providing exceptional service for our guests. We look forward to future stays and again thank you.
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Setting stunning, bedrooms stunning, pool stunning, staff..out of this world, the gym had more than enough for me...and the weather..is heaven. All in all this is a fantastic hotel...the food outside of the restaurant is limited but still great. You also have a smoking and non smoking side of the pool which is a great idea. They have a mist spray around the bar area at the pool to cool you down and on Saturday and Sunday they had live music at the pool too. The music was not heavy it was just a guy with a guitar and he was real good. Location wise not far from the airport, shopping, restaurants...all in all great place you will not be disappionted. Oh how can I forget yoga on a saturday and sunday morning at the pool from 8 til 9 and the spa...all good.

Room Tip: I had a room facing out back which was fine although I could hear the traffic slightly so ask for a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at our little oasis. We take pride in having a great staff and beautiful location. Thank you again
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary in May. I had no idea this hotel was even here until we drove to it. The setting is beautiful and it is very quiet up on the butte. So many positive aspects of this hotel and only a couple minor things I didn't care for...very minor.
The room was very clean and comfortable! For our anniversary, we were upgraded from the most basic room to a King resort view. It didn't really impress me much since it was just a king bed room with a view toward the pool, but mostly view of the butte out the window. But I'm not really picky on rooms so much. However, the service level was unbelievable! We came back to the room after a snack at the bar and found 2 bottles of wine, a pint of ice cream, and a hand written card wishing us happy anniversary! I thought that was stellar on their behalf!!! It set the whole tone for my expectations for the whole weekend. That was a phenomenal gesture!!
The restaurants and bar areas are very nice as well. We spent a lot of time at the pool bar just chillin' and having cocktails. The servers are all great and have fantastic personalities as well. They are very engaging and will chat with you all day if you engage them. The pools are huge and even when there are a lot of people around, it doesn't feel like it at all! There are many hot tubs as well scattered up and down the butte, which I highly recommend! There is even one kind of hidden away from everything else. Just listen and find the big waterfall on side of the butte, and you'll find it!! The drinks are a bit pricy, but I didn't expect anything less from a resort. I've stayed at so many resorts and it's the same everywhere. No biggie for me.
We ate at all the available restaurants I think. The lobby bar food is pretty good. Light meals and they do the job. Nothin special, but I have no complaints. The Top of the Rock restaurant is the more fine dining of them. I loved that I could just wear jeans and a t-shirt in too!! My wife had the Filet Mignon and I had the Ribeye. We added mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was all cooked perfectly and we really enjoyed the ambience and food there!! It's pricy so be ready, but the experience is worth it, at least once.
We spent 3 nights there and loved the whole time! The spa is fantastic too if you're into that! I only really had one complaint....you have to pay $10/day to park if you drive in. I think that is ridiculous. We love Marriott resorts and have stayed in many across the world. Even the JW Marriott property at Starr Pass in Tucson, AZ has removed their parking charge. It's crazy to charge that when it's a fairly expensive place to stay. Really, you need my $10 to operate...come on!
Other than that, we loved our stay here and would recommend this property to anyone!! It's a truly hidden gem that is hard to see from the highway, but when you get there, it's amazing!!

Room Tip: Resort view rooms are only worth it, if you want to be really close to the pool and look out over th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed over during a business trip to Tempe, Arizona. This is a very nice hotel, with a fairly different & unique setting. The staff is very friendly. More of a hotel for a pleasure trip, than Business, but had a nice stay. The rooms were spacious, clean & well-appointment. The location was perfect for my visit. Overall this is a beautiful property, & would love to return on a pleasure trip with family in future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback in regards to your stay and the excellent staff we have here at The Buttes. We take pride in having the friendliest staff and cleanest hotel in the valley. Thank you again and we look forward to your future visits. Thanks again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!