“Unique”

Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
cleveland ohio
“Unique”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night at the end of our family vacation. I would imagine that your experience would depend on what type of trip you are on and what your expectations are. Although kept in good repair and boasting quality Marriott service, this hotel was clearly built in a different era than todays golf and spa resorts found in North Scottsdale. The decor has been updated to keep it fresh but its design is still a throwback to the Arizona of the 1970s and 1980's.

If i were here for business in downtown or Tempe, this would be a cool place to stay rather than a plain hotel. It is certainly unique and makes you feel like you are winding up a large 5 story rock that rose up from the Desert. Workout facilities are nice and the restaurant looked nice (we didnt try). The bar was full on a Monday night and the view was great.

But i wouldnt stay here for longer than a weekend on a family trip. The pool areas are unique - especially the hot tubs perched on the side of the Butte - but aftet a few hours there is nothing to do. Also the area around the hotel isnt very attractive. You feel removed from that when youre in the hotel grounds but as soon as you leave you are in an area of industry, older retail and older homes.

Overall it was a good solid Marriott property that was interesting to stay at one time.

• Stayed April 2013
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review for the property. We are indeed unique. Thank you for spending one of your final vacation nights with us. We take pride in being #1 in the area. If there is anything you can think of that would have changed your mind in your star rating we are open to feedback. Hopefully you do get an entire weekend to come back and truly enjoy the amenities we have to offer. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Urbanna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We travelled to Arizona for the first time and are staying at the Marriott Buttes! What a lovely setting! Service is more than accommodating, the staff goes above and beyond! Such a beautiful setting and the pools are awesome!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving feedback in regards to your stay and the excellent staff we have here at The Buttes. We take pride in having the friendliest staff and cleanest hotel in the valley. Thank you again and we look forward to your future visits. Thanks again
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

In my opinion, whether or not a traveller would stay at a particular hotel/resort again ultimately speaks volumes about their experience. That being said, I would most definitely stay at The Marriott, Buttes Resort when in the area again! I would also book a massage at their Narande Spa (and ask for Kimberly!) again as well!

It is not the newest resort I've ever stayed at, nor the most luxurious (Four Seasons Aviara Resort in San Diego!!!) but it had a nice Arizona feel to it! The staff was super accommodating, service was spot on and overall we had a great experience!

My husband and I travelled this time with another couple but this hotel would also be great for families traveling with children. Yes, you will pay more for a hamburger and soda than if you were at McDonalds (in response to a previous comment), but I think most people are aware of this when traveling to a Resort property.

In response to the traveller who said the pool had no towels - we had plenty of towels - they are kept in two different areas near the entrance to the pool, and if you still couldn't find the towels, all you need to do is ask.

I give this resort and the Narande Spa two thumbs up!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving another great review for The Buttes. We look forward to being your destination stop when traveling to Tempe Phx area. Thank you again and we will see you soon.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

When living in an era of customer service being a lost art, it is the height of refreshment to experience a stay at a property that is the epitome of customer service. Our recent stay at The Buttes in Tempe was just that. If you travel a lot, you learn to recognize outstanding management. It is most strongly evidenced in a well trained staff. Every encounter with an employee at The Buttes was an exercise in pleasantries. We were greeted with a smile and a “hello” at every encounter, regardless of what role the individual carried at the resort. Each staff person was unbelievably attentive and showed genuine concern for our every need. Well done, Buttes. You are a shining star in a sea of darkness

1 Thank Tim F
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

...so I guess I'm redundant. I was very impressed by the Buttes. I was staying for business, and everything was superior. Even arriving at night, you could see it was a unique location on a rock structure. The hotel staff were very engaging and helpful from check-in to the person asking if I needed help with my bags as I was wheeling them to my car.

The rooms were very nice, were of a good size, and very clean. The wireless internet was the best I can remember in months if not longer. The health club was good, and, while I didn't use then, the pools and hot tubs up the structure looked great.

The "Top of the Rock" restaurant was incredible. The waitperson was informative and had what proved to be a great suggestion on the menu (if it's available - get the scallop and quinoa entree was memorable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving another GREAT review in regards to your stay here at The Buttes. We appreciate your stay and time in leaving a review. We truly appreciate everything and thank you again. Hope to see you again soon... Thanks
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The staff is excellent and well above what was expected. Very friendly and helpful. Just spent a week here and while the rooms are fine and the pool is very nice the staff was noticeably impressive. Additionally the food was well beyond hotel quality. Very good from room service, bar, to the top of the rocks, the on site restaurant. As for rooms fine but would recommend one on the pool side if you don't want morning traffic noise or bright morning sun.

• Stayed April 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was prepared to not like this place, as I stayed here several years ago and thought it was in desperate need of help. Apparently, they got that help and I'm happy to eat my words! I stayed two nights for a conference and was very pleasantly surprised. My room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. My only complaint was the A/C, which never quite got down to the temperature I set it at. The staff was very friendly, the grounds were beautiful and the views are better than most Scottsdale hotels. I only ate the banquet food, which I'm usually very picky about, and once again, I was pleasantly surprised. The best moment was when I walked up to the bellman in my running clothes and he handed me a map which outlined a four-mile run from the hotel. Granted, I had to run through an industrial park, but that's what is nearby, so I guess I had no choice! We went into the Arcadia (40th St & Indian School) area for dinner both nights and it was a very easy drive. I think this hotel would be especially great during Spring Training. I didn't have the opportunity to use the pool, but it looked amazing!

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher up so you look out toward Camelback Mountain.