“Be careful of your room selection”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Overall this is a nice facility with beautiful grounds and views. The staff is friendly and cordial. The food and beverages at the hotel restaurant and bar are very good, though a bit pricey, but as expected in a facility like this. The hotel is conveniently located. The only concern is your room assignment. A number of the rooms on one side of the property face Interstate 10, which at that point is only about 100 yards away, and the noise would make it very difficult for most people to sleep. We experienced this problem for the first two nights of our stay before another room was available. This seems to be more of an issue on the upper levels. Those rooms facing the pool did not suffer from the same interstate noise.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are the best for avoiding potential interstate noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank partingshot
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts about the hotel. You are right we do have half of our rooms that face out toward the city and the I-10 happens to be right there as well. While it made us very convenient for travelers to stay with us due to our location it does tend to make those outer rooms a bit louder. Knowing we cant just pick the hotel up and move it we do offer fans, white noise machines, and even ear plugs for guests that it bothers too much. It is our goal to ensure that all of our travelers have a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. Thank you again and I am glad the staff was great. We share the feedback with our teams. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have been traveling to Phoenix for 20 years and this was my first stay at this wonderfully unique resort. The resort is beautiful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and comfortable and I love the Marriott bed! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your 5 star review in regards to the Buttes. We appreciate your repeated stays and loyalty to the property. We always look forward to servicing your future needs. Thanks again and see you soon....

Reviewed April 21, 2013

As you likely read from some of the other reviews the hotel and surrounding gardens are carved into the mountain. It is really a wonderful feat of engineering and architectural design. April in Arizona is a wonderful time to see the spendour of the variety of colours of the cactus flowers and The Buttes landscaping really adds to the enjoyment of the stay. Each staff member that we encountered over the 8 days we stayed, from the front desk, to the restaurant, to the maid service without exception, greeted us with a smile and were obliging and only too happy to assist us with any request. From a convenience point of view the resort is perfectly situated. Easy highway access for every direction. The Market Place restaurant meals were just great. To top it off the pool-side meals and snacks were not disappointing like they very often can be. We look forward to our return to the Buttes - we have no reason to want to go anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderfully written 5 star review in regards to our little paradise here. We take a lot of pride in the beauty of the property, and even more in the wonderful staff we have servicing it. Your stay is very much appreciated and we will gladly share your kind comments with the teams. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again - even if it isnt until next April, so you can enjoy the flowers. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We picked this place for a 2 night stay before I attended a conference in the area. Great view and we visited the top of the rock for dinner. Our daughter had the sniffles and went back to the room early. The next morning there was a note from our server Amber telling us that she hoped our daughter felt better. Thank you Amber and Marriott Buttes for a great weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your good experience here at the Buttes. We appreciate your patronage and time. We look forward to your future stays and thanks again

Reviewed April 19, 2013

When you pull up to this place you have no idea where to check in. No signs or anything,you have to drive up a hill around the back and have valet park it while you check in. If I didn't see other cars go up there I wouldn't of known right away.So I check in 2 hours after check in time and am told "We were full last last night and your rooms not ready and we'll call you when it's ready." So my gf and I walk around the hotel,check out the pool,which is gorgeous,snap a few pics and by this time an hour goes by. Finally fed up,my gf asks front desk,i should mention a different clerk as well, if our rooms ready. Well what do you know,it is. Thanks for the call guys. Think we'd still be waiting if we were still there. I also lost my toiletrie bag in the parking lot that night.It was recovered but the person didn't turn it in.said they would next morning cuz it was late.sure enough come time to check out and it still wasn't turned in.hotel later called me after id left and said they had it and would mail it to me. It's been 2 weeks and still no bag. The hotel did supply me with a few toiletries which was nice but all in all I expect much better service for such a nice,pricier resort. Sad as it was it was my worst experience out of the 5 hotels I stayed at on my Arizona trip yet the most expensive.go figure

Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Anonymous198306

I would like to apologize for a less than satisfactory stay here. This is not the norm when it comes to our services here at the property. We do our best to accommodate early check ins and regular check in time. The hotel stays very busy being sold out at least 3-4 nights a week making it hard at times to accommodate everyone. I am sorry that you were one that we were not able to accommodate right away. As far as your lost and found and other issues we did our best and I am sorry that we were unable to recover the item. Our team did attempt to do so; however we did not recover the item. We do take time to train staff on the importance of lost and found procedures so that our actions do not impact our guests. I am sorry that at this point you state you will not come back. If for any reason you do change your mind please reach out to us so we can make sure your next stay is much more pleasant. Again we are sorry and thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you were faced with.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Buttes is conveniently located near the airport with a beautiful view of the city at night. Its mountain location gives it a unique feel from the hot tubs to the dining area. Large folding doors bring in the morning air to enhance your dining experience. The staff could not be more friendly and accommodating. Sitting high above the pool, our bartender, Sean kept our glasses filled and us laughing. Each time he delivered a drink, he delivered another joke. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Our schedule didn’t allow for the rooms to be serviced early, but each evening we found them ready to go. They never seemed to forget us, which was nice. My only complaint was that they didn’t have a refrigerator in any of the rooms. Our room was an upgrade, but that only meant a slightly better view. The description of the resort indicated that there was a charge for parking, but we were not charged. I gave a rating of very good, only because I compared it to my stay at the Marriott Resort in Costa Rica. The patio rooms may have been a better choice.

Room Tip: Maybe the patio rooms facing the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at The Buttes. Your feedback is valuable and helpful in the further training of the staff. We take pride in having the friendliest staff in the valley. Shawn is one of our newest members to the team so thank you for mentioning his great work as it will be fun to share this with him and the rest of the team. When it comes to your future stays please reach out to us at the property directly so that we can block you a patio room and ensure that your stay is worth 5 stars next time. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We make an annual trip to Phoenix, Az. every winter for a week of golf. This is our 3rd year in a row staying at the Marriott Buttes in Tempe, Az. We are 4 guys, we always request resort facing, patio rooms side by each. Our reservations are always handled very efficiently. Our check-in is always smooth. The property is very unique, beautiful! It is almost carved out of the side of mountain rock! The pool and 4 uniquely placed hot-tubs are awesome...especially after a round of golf, the hot-tubs are a perfect way to relax, have a beer or margarita before getting ready for dinner. Almost everything about this resort is perfect, but the best part is the staff and the service. Very courteous, polite and efficient...everybody is always smiling cheerfully and they makes feel very welcome. We always look forward to our annual trip to Phoenix, Az. for great golf and an amazing stay at the Marriott Buttes! Thank You Marriott Buttes!

Room Tip: We always book resort facing, patio rooms...easy access to pool, hot-tub and a beautiful view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ZainLalani

What can I say, Thank you. As one of my favorite regulars - thank you. We appreciate your review and even more your loyalty is staying at The Buttes each year. I look forward to helping you any time you need it. Thanks again and let me know when you will be back - THANKS

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix Tempe
Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix / Tempe
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix - Tempe
AC Hotel Phoenix Tempe/Downtown
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#53 of 173 in Phoenix

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!