“Simply One Of The Best”

Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
greenville sc
“Simply One Of The Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

The views offered from this property of the surrounding valley during sunrise and sunset are stunning and peaceful. I stayed three nights recenly and was very impressed with the overall maintenance of the facility. It is a real job to keep a place as large as this clean and neat. But what impressed me most was the very consistent cheerful, polite, helpful attitudes of all the staff I came in contact with. When I return to Phoenix I will always stay here. Convienent to the airport and easy to get around Tempe and Phoenix from it's location. The food at their Market Cafe, Lobby Cafe and Top of The Rock is excellent. But there are several local food choices not far from the property, as well as national chains e.g. Schlotzsky's, Subway. You will need to walk to get around. But that's part of the fun of this property. It's great to get a small workout going to and from a meal. The pool area is designed so that there is plenty of room to find just that isolated spot for yourself to feel comfortable and relaxed.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool area are reffered to as resort side and they cost just a little more.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dguff
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
We thank you for another 5 star review for the Buttes Marriott. We do our best to provide the friendliest service and cleanest hotel in the Valley. We look forward to future visits. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
furnitureruss
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My buddy and I were on a desert road trip & spent a day at the Buttes Marriott in Tempe. I'm a platinum Marriott member. My buddy has no status. First nice thing is they allowed me to park for no charge, then they extended a free breakfast to my buddy even though he has no Marriott status. I always stay at Marriott properties if they are available, and it's because of the little things they do to make the stay more enjoyable. Sure, I get free breakfast because I'm platinum, but they went above and beyond giving us the free parking and extending free breakfast to my friend as well. The property is beautiful. The swimming pool is also very nice. My father in law lives in Phoenix .... how do I explain to my wife that the next time in Phoenix that I'd rather stay at the Marriott Buttes in Tempe than stay at her dad's house? ha ha

Great stay - nice people - I'll stay there again. You should too!

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad view at this place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank furnitureruss
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review for the Buttes Marriott. We appreciate your time and stay with us. We do hope that you are able to convince the wife that we are the place to stay at when in Tempe, and we are more entertaining to stay at than dad's house :) . You can just bring Dad with you and call it a stay-cation. We appreciate your review again and look forward to meeting the rest of the family next time. Thank you
Saint Charles, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stay at this hotel every time I'm in PHX on business, since it's convenient to the airport and because it's consistent and reliable. You can't beat the amenities for the price, especially this time of year. Room service food was very good and the rooms are nicely appointed, and more importantly clean. Only criticism is that a lot of walking is required to get around the property, since the resort is built in the side of a mountain. Great setting and views though. Definitely recommend.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank barkwood66
We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your positive review and your loyalty in staying with us here at The Buttes Marriott. We look forward to many future visits and we are glad that we are your spot to stay when visiting the Valley of the Sun. Thank you again.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had to write in response to "Hammy" in Minn....I suspect Hammy is a dis-gruntled employee, or just an un-happy person. (Who writes 5 paragraphs of a bad review two weeks later? The ONLY bad review, BTW)

We are local to the Phx area, and with many resorts to choose from here, our favorite "Stay-Cation" spot is by far The Buttes. We stay 4 or 5 times a summer....The pool area is magnificent, tucked away in between the mountain. They have a fun atmosphere with water volley-ball, kids activities, and FANTASTIC live music poolside in the afternoon. We always look forward to listening to the band. "Chucky Baby" has been performing there for many years, and is the main reason we keep coming back. He is engaging to the audience and he creates a "Pool Party" atmosphere every time! I was looking him up on Google and I did not realize that the local paper (Az Rep.) has nominated him as "Best Local Band" for three years running! They used to perform at the Hotel Bar at night for dancing and partying.... but we found out that the bar was closed down. That was a disappointment, because there is not much to do at night, unless you leave the property.
The "Foo-Foo- drinks" are awesome. The service is pretty good; sometimes a bit slow when it is busy. They used to have a poolside grill, but now food comes from the hotel kitchen, so it takes a bit longer:(

I think the rooms are ok....but need a little updating. We've been staying at the Buttes for years and the rooms are comfortable, but have not changed much. Also they started charging for internet and parking. I made a little stink about it, and they took off half. They also have a Spa, but I have never used their services.

All-in-all, it is a wonderful get-away. We look forward to bringing friends and family to The Buttes again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MONEYBAGGS
It is very nice to hear that you all had a great time here at the property. We do take pride in being the best when it comes to our service and cleanliness.
We look forward to future visits and Thank you again.
Minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I booked a resort view room thinking that it would look out onto the resort grounds, not the pool. If I had known that, there is no way I would have paid the extra money for the room. We were given a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool even though I asked for a very quiet room.

On Saturday morning we were able to take advantage of the pool which was nice. There were not that many people out there so it was nice to enjoy it before the real heat of the day.
This moment is the one part of the stay that was good.

On Saturday afternoon we were trying to relax in our room and there were a TON of people in the pool screaming and yelling and they were swearing terrible. If I would have been there with my kids, I would have had to take them out of the pool because of it. There were several people that used the "F" word every other word. Then add onto that there was a terrible band that was playing all day long. It appeared that the band was drinking because they got worse as the day went on and by the end they were not even close to being in tune. It seemed like a speaker was pointed directly at our room because the music was vibrating the windows. People at the pool were highly DRUNK and it was like spring break out there! Evening came and went and at midnight when these people were still out in the pool screaming and yelling, I called the front desk and asked them to please tell them to be quiet. At 1:30 they were STILL out there and my husband called and asked what time the pool closed. They said they would have them removed immediately. Things seem to quiet down so I thought that security had taken care of things. Well, apparently the people decided they were not done and at 4am, they will still out there screaming and yelling. Needless to say, we got zero sleep that night.

The next morning I woke up and there was a card under my door that was from the person I spoke with at the front desk with a card for a free breakfast for two and a note that said they would have the manager call us in the morning. We had to check-out at 9am so we just talked to the manager at the front desk while we were doing so. She acted very sorry that this hapened and assured us that there would be a meeting about this incident because apparently the procedure was not followed for this type of situation. She let us know to expect an email from her or another manager in the hotel within the week. We were also to let her know when we were staying again and she would make sure that we got a suite, if there was one open.

I put off writing this review for two weeks hoping that the hotel would contact me about our issues. I never heard a word from her or any manager of the hotel over the last two weeks. To top it off, we were charged $20 for parking and we did not even have a car! I called the hotel immediately upon finding this and was told my card would be credited. That never happened either.

So, because the hotel handled the pool situation so poorly and the management does not really seem to care about it's customers, we will never stay here again. My husband travels to Phoenix a few times a year for work and said that he will make sure his work never books them this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for "resort" rooms if you don't want to overlook the pool.
4 Thank Hammy
I would like to apologize for a less than satisfactory stay while you were here. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectation. We are a family Resort and on the weekend our beautiful pool is very popular for our guests.
It is our goal to make sure that all of our guest enjoy and fun, safe, and relaxing weekend. After reviewing your comments to the staff we do see where we could have done better.
As originally offered from the manager who helped you when you departed - Should you decide to give us another chance please email her at the email she gave you and she will gladly assist you in making sure the same incident does not occur again.
I have to apologize as I thought that the situation had been handled and you had a personal contact here at the property should you come back.
We are here to service you and ensure a great stay. Please allow us to do so and take advantage of the offer made when you departed. Thank you and I am very confident in my staff. I know we can make this right for you. Thank you
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I just enjoyed another wonderful weekend getaway at the Buttes Marriott in Tempe Arizona. The pool is delightful with live music playing on the weekend. The views are beautiful. They have a great morning buffet breakfast, and nice restaurant with a great view for a pleasant dinner. Staff are courteous and rooms are spacious. We thoroughly enjoy our getaways to the Buttes Marriott.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is near the pool
2 Thank CharlieW137
We thank you for taking the time to leave a 5 star review for the Buttes Marriott. Your time and patronage is very much appreciated. Thank you again.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Phoenix has several upscale mega-sized resorts with sprawling grounds and huge pools (with multiple water features, lazy rivers, several slides, etc.). The Buttes offers a more intimate setting--still with a unique and beautiful multi-terraced pool/jacuzzi area--that just feels more relaxing. The hotel is built into the butte, and the entrance from the parking lot below is, well, unique. The check-in area is positioned in front of a huge rock wall with a tranquil water feature. The elevated restaurant provides lovely views of the Phoenix skyline. Yes, maybe some of the room decor could be a bit more hip. And the 1/2-wall in the sink area of the bathroom may seem unusual to some. I still find this hotel very charming (popcorn ceilings and all). And the service has always been top-notch; it seems as though the staff really cares that you're visiting. Upon check-in, we mentioned we were on a weekend anniversary getaway, and we were upgraded to a larger corner room. During breakfast, our server was friendly and chatty, but still professional and attentive. The Buttes is just a wonderful hotel that allows you to slow down a little while still enjoying some nice amenities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We wanted to thank you for a very nice review for the Buttes Marriott. We are so glad that you found our little oasis to be so relaxing and enjoyable. We take pride in our property and feel great when guests such as yourself enjoy their stay. We look forward to being your destination when you are in the area. Thank you again for a kind review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!