“Beautiful Pool”

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Richland, Washington
“Beautiful Pool”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at the Buttes. We really enjoy the central location, as long as we have a rental car to move about Tempe, Greater Phoenix, and Scottsdale. We did feel nickled and dimed a bit by the fee for parking, internet, and no airport shuttle service. However, the staff at the front desk made calls for us and secured excellent transportation to suite our needs. The bedding, which is critical to me, was fabulous. I try to stay in 4-star hotels when they are affordable to ensure nice bedding--this resort has it! Our room was clean and tastefully decorated and access to the many pools and hot tubs was easy.

We liked having coffee in our room each morning, a robe in the closet for those times when they're needed, and an excellent air conditioner that we could control with ease.

We would definitely stay at the Buttes again to enjoy it's natural beauty, scenic views of the mountains and Tempe, and close proximity to all of what Phoenix has to offer.

Room Tip: We've stayed here twice and have had views of Tempe both times. So we prefer rooms on the secon...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to leave such great feedback on your most recent stay. Your return visit is very much appreciated. For future to avoid the extra charges upon check in, I would just like to refer you to our online business packages that include these charges so that you are only charged the room rate plus tax. Thanks again and we look forward to your future visits to Tempe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I stayed here in October 2011. Really enjoyed it, so I am writing this review. The hotel has spectacular views of the Phoenix Valley, Camelback Mountain, and downtown Phoenix. I really loved the pool area and the various jacuzzis and the relaxing music by the pool, especially the band on Saturday. I also liked having breakfast on the patio, and their Top of the Rock happy hour. It's a $15 taxi ride from airport, about 10 minute ride. A lovely place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
All we can say is thank you for taking the time to write a review and choosing our property to stay at. Your time and stay is very much appreciated.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2011

disappointed in:
the fact that you have to pay for Internet access, as if nowadays Internet were a luxury
you have to pay for parking as well,
the newly built wing looks dated, just like the rest of the hotel, room looks sterile
cleaning staff kept forgetting to replace in room items such as drinking glasses, tea bags, etc
awkward bathroom, shower was nothing special, no tub.
A/C was quite loud at night
Market cafe, within the hotel had slow service, overly expensive menu items, they offer a Starbucks-like vending area but no pastries/sandwiches to go. Service was slooooow there too.
Not at all impressed with this hotel.
Concierge was very helpful and guided us towards excellent restaurants.
Hotel location is very convenient to all that Phoenix offers.

1 Thank getmeoutofangola
We are terribly sorry that you had encountered so many minor issues during your stay. I can see how we really dropped the ball when it came to the details during your stay. All in which are easily corrected. I am terribly sorry that you had such issues during your stay and can assure you that it is not the norm when it comes to our guest services. We do hope you have not given up on us as we take your feedback very serious. I assure you that should you stay in future again with us that it will not be the same type of experience.... It will be much better. Regardless, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I want to start off first by saying that I'm a consultant so I travel a lot and often travel to the same location for several week and months in a row.

I've been staying at the Buttes for a month now and overall I'm generally satisfied with the hotel. The rooms are a nice size and the beds are comfortable. The towels are the typical low end thin Marriott towels but that doesn't bother me that much. The gym is fairly large for a hotel gym and I never feel like it's so packed I can't work out. One of my favorite things about this hotel is their breakfast buffet which is free if you are a platinum member. The staff is very friendly and they have always addressed any of my concerns quickly.

My only complaint would be the noise. This hotel seems to be a "conference hotel" where each week there is a new conference. Conference attendees always seem to be a little bit noisier than the typical business traveler. The doors to the hallway and the back patio do not seem to be sealed very well so you can hear anyone's conversation if they are in the hall or outside. Also the doors are close together so when someone is getting in to the room next to you, it sounds like they are trying to get in your room which is kind of a weird feeling. I am also able to hear any conversation in the room next to mine. This happens at a lot of hotels and I normally turn the fan up on the a/c to drown out the noise but this particular a/c unit only has one setting for the fan, and that is low which isn't loud enough to drown people out.

Room Tip: The rooms with the walk out patio although they sound nicer are actually noisier because they face t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I do apologize that you are not completely satisfied with your stay, yet you are. The good part is that yes we have been very busy lately in the hotel not only for rooms but also for conferences. Based on these last couple weeks the staff too is noticing the increase in business and guests on property. It is nice to start to see business recover from last years decrease in travel for most companies. Any how if there is anything that we can do to make a difference in your experience we are here for you. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Awesome hotel as it is built into the mountain. it is more for vacation travelers than for business. one thing that annoyed me was the old tube tvs...the staff is exteremely accomodating.

Room Tip: to get a quiet room, ask to be near the tennis courts
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving us your feedback. It is nice to hear how accomodating the staff was during your stay. The only thing that I do not understand is and something I am rather curious about was when your stay was? In August of this year we installed brand new flat screen TV's with marble counter tops in all of our guest rooms. We are excited that we were approved to provide such an upgrade along with the brand new beds put into all guest rooms. Any how we thank you for your stay and appreciate the feedback. Feel free to come see us again as we indeed do have Flat Screens in all guest rooms, with HD channel listings available. Thanks again
DC
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is a hotel built into the side of a small mountain. It's very unique. The best thing about the place is the feeling that you're in a natural setting but still somewhat luxurious. This would be an amazing place for kids and couples. One surprise though. The rooms themselves don't have very good views but the rest of the hotel does.

• Stayed October 2011
Calgary
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed at the Tempe Buttes Marriott and was pleasantly surprised by the beauty and attention to detail at the resort. From the water bar (waters with fresh grapefruit, cucumber or orange) near the pool, to the fun "pink" menu to raise money and awareness for breast cancer in the restaurant, it was obvious this is a place that thinks about its customers' needs and takes the time to add some little extras. I was there for meetings, and was equally pleased with the food in and service in the meeting rooms (although there were some real problems with regulating temperature as everyone was either freezing or boiling). I was happy to see how close the hotel was to the airport as I didn't need to worry at all about traffic and getting to the airport quickly. The only disadvantage for me with the location of the hotel was that once I walked outside the resort, there wasn't much to see or do (just a busy road), but it was close to Arizona Mills mall so I took a quick trip there as well. Thank you for an excellent experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix Tempe
Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix / Tempe
Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!