Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
1,820 results
All reviewsgreat locationsnack shackharry's placebeautiful courtyardorange treeswithin walking distancecollege townlight railrooftop poolmill streetrestaurants and barsbusiness tripsun devil stadiumfootball gameasu campusflight pathvery nice hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2009

I travel for business A LOT and this one of the WORST experiences I've ever had at a hotel. I had three different rooms in two nights......

I arrived on a Sunday evening tired after a very long flight from Washington DC. I was given a room with two beds - which are very small. I sat on one bed which made a loud crunching sound - it was the springs. The other bed was not any better, there was standing water in the bath tub, I change rooms. The front desk staff was unnecessary rude to my colleague when she asked for change, I returned to my 2nd room at the end of the day to find it had not been cleaned. They send someone uo to "clean my room" but they only bring towels and the two beds in this room were no more comfortable than the last room I had. I finally talk to the manager on duty who offers to give me a "complimentary breakfast" and says nothing about the rude staff person we ran into in the morning. After letting her know that the a free breakfast was not enough, she finally handed me a key and told me to "See if the room down the hall was comfortable enough". It was better but still not worth the $200 bucks a night they charge. Staff was uncaring, unprofessional and definitely not customer oriented. I now have to come to Tempe regularly, I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2009

This was my first experience at the hotel. I learned of it through travelzoo.com. We stayed for 3 nights in mid March as part of our annual spring training baseball trip. We booked a standard room with the breakfast option ($10 more). Parking appears limited but they have valet service so you don't have to worry about it.

The hotel is located at 5th and Mill Ave right next to all the action. The hotel and grounds are very well maintained and attractive. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the pool is a nice place to hang out, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the location just can't be beat. Being so near the university and Mill Ave, it's impressive that the hotel has managed to keep the rooms well maintained and elegant looking. The grounds are lovely with fountains, fresh flowers, orange trees and palm trees. The courtyard inside the hotel has some nice areas to relax in, one side has a gas fireplace with chairs around it for some nice evening socializing.

I booked the room and got a very basic reservation confirmation informing me of an additional hospitality fee per night that pays for amenities like the high speed internet and fitness center. This is a slightly deceptive practice in that you are mandated to pay that fee whether you use the facilities or not. The confirmation didn't have the details of my reservation, such as the size bed requested, crib request and breakfast option. Wish that had been more informative but when I arrived, everything was in order. The room was average sized with a bed, 2 night stands, a desk and a comfy chair with extension for the feet. The walls seemed unscuffed, the carpet wasn't new but smelled good and didn't have any obvious stains. The television is an older tube style model with no inputs, so don't bother taking your dvd player. The hotel has a variety of in room movie options (no video games). The bed only has 3 pillows, so if you need more, ask at check in. The air conditioning unit is older (not digital, just slide the lever nearer "warmer" or "colder" and stays on 24/7 while on but it is not loud and isn't a problem. The mattress was extremely firm, might be the hardest mattress I've ever slept on but I like that, it helps my back.

The bathroom area is a bit small and puzzling. There is an outside the bathroom area with shelf where the coffee/tea materials and maker are. It's sizable, while the bathroom itself is actually one of the smaller I've seen. The door just misses hitting the toilet and so needless to say, it is difficult for 2 people to fit in there while getting ready. As my wife gave my son a bath, I had to stay out so I wouldn't hit her with the door. The bathrooms are a bit weathered. Door jambs have peeling paint showing an older color or rust. The tile in the but had grimy grout, the drain is slow and for some strange reason, hot water comes out of the faucets first, even if you only turn on the cold. It takes a matter of 10 seconds or so for the cold to come out. That's bizarre but not a huge deal once you are aware. Seems like maybe the bathrooms should have been extended out into the coffee area to give just a bit more room.

We happened to be fortunate in that our room was on the far east side of the hotel (rectangle shaped) because Mill is to the west. We had a nice quiet time in that area and had a nice view of the courtyard. The room walls are fairly well insulated from noise but the windows and doors let some noise in (people running down the hallways, jet noise).

As I stated, the location of the hotel is its main benefit. Nearby, the nightlife was easily available along with restaurants, ASU and a CVS pharmacy about 3 blocks south. A couple of blocks north is the towne lake area where one can go paddle boating, fishing, etc. There happened to be a festival called "Aloha fest" while we were there and the area was quite crowded during the weekend. It did seem like a fun and safe event for hotel guests to go to. The hotel is within a few miles of the Anaheim Angels and Oakland Athletics baseball stadiums, is immediately next to the large hill with the "A" on it for a nice hike. Just passed the A's stadium is the phoenix zoo. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Be sure to ask them about your destinations as they can provide custom directions and often brochures or business cards to restaurants or attractions that include a discount. We got several dollars off at the zoo and at a nearby deli/bar restaurant. The hotel had computers available for use but I never did use them. I hooked up to the wifi with my laptop just to make sure I could but barely used it. The fitness center is a small room packed with several treadmills, an elliptical and a single universal weight lifting (cable) rack. The pool area is nice and comfortable, a hot tub sits at the two ends of the pool and the pool itself is a nice experience for leisure. It only goes 4.5 feet deep and isn't really big so if you're hoping to train for the olympics, this isn't your best option. There is a small bar near the pool where you can walk up and get drinks but no wait staff coming to the pool that I saw. The pool is on the 2nd floor of the north end of the hotel and has high walls for privacy. You can see people hiking the mountain next to the hotel and watch planes roaring in for a landing at sky harbor.

There is a gift shop onsite that closes at 10pm sharp, so you had better figure out that you forgot your shaving cream or contact lense case before then, because I don't think the front desk has any of that stuff. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We would definitely recommend it and will return next year if we are able to secure a similar deal.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2009

Just wanted to leave a quick review of the Mission Palms, was out there for weekend with a group of guys and thought the hotel did a great job. The prices were reasonable, there are bars and restaurants to walk to if the mood suits you and the shuttle service offered by the hotel couldn’t be beat. Overall, a great stay, would recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 27, 2009

In this case, the pictures do not tell the story. I was disappointed given what i paid for. On one day, the cleaning service simply forgot my room -- and i was left until the next day. The gift shop is an overpriced ripoff . the Fitness Center was a shoebox and equipment was very limited. the pool facilities were also unimpressive and i spent time swatting at a bunch of attacking bees. Front desk and guys out front were helpful -- but this place doesnt live up to the photos or hype

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2009

This is the only hotel where I have ever stayed where the hotel itself is better than its website photos. My room was on the top floor facing the courtyard, and it was wonderful! I was lulled to sleep at night by the sound of a fountain on the side of the courtyard. The lobby, the courtyard, and the rooftop pool area are gorgeous. I loved the rooftop pool! My only complaint (which is not really even a complaint) would be that there are perhaps a few too many cabana areas by the pool and not quite enough chairs that are not covered by a cabana. Every hotel employee that I encountered was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Being a coffee addict, I loved that there is a Starbucks only about a block away. I would highly recommend this extremely comfortable hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)