“Smoke in 'non-smoking'- and sewer roaches as co-guests!”

Ramada Tempe Near ASU
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I have been using Choice hotels for some time now with fairly consistent results. The most recent stays in Choice hotels for me have been a bit disappointing.
Had to stay near the Phx airport (Sky Harbor) to pick up a family member. The hotel was rated sufficiently well, and in my price neighborhood. The lobby was open, clean and pleasant; but the workout room wasn't closed off or private. It was in an open area, across from the front desk. There appeared to be several machines which I didn't try.
Was only there for one night- and glad of it. Our first and second rooms offered were considered non-smoking- but had distinct smoke odors. The third one smelled better- and had a dead sewer roach on the floor. At this point I was just happy to have one that didn't have a smoky odor. The desk clerk explained that the city had just sprayed the sewers, and these large (1" plus long) roaches come up the drains. Well....ok. The beds were OK- husband said he felt itchy under the sheets; we others did OK tho. In the AM dropped a cosmetic lid under the vanity shelf- it rolled under the sink. Yep- another dead sewer roach. These things are a little unnerving. Felt the room couldn't be really clean. The final surprise was when we asked the front desk about breakfast- he pointed us toward a clubhouse. We headed for coffee, where an attendant informed us that there was a charge for breakfast at this facility! We didn't plan to eat much- maybe a bagel and coffee, hopefully clean- and declined to partake of the meal there. Checking out of the motel in the morning, we passed the pool- a relatively nice sized pool. Unfortunately it appeared to have green slime on the bottom. This hotel needed a face lift and thorough cleaning.
Needless to say this experience has altered my opinion of choice hotels in general. Will be wary of rates which formerly would have been in my range- guess I need to price up a notch.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed May 21, 2010

We did a cross-country trip from Michigan to California, staying at Quality Inns and Suites the whole time. As a rule, they tend to be clean, well-maintained, and provide great value for the money.

This hotel was quite clearly the exception to that rule.

I can say, without a doubt, that this is the WORST Quality Suites I have ever encountered. Our first set of room cards didn't open the door. After walking all the way back to the front desk (with luggage in hand) and obtaining a new set of room cards, we discovered that the room was uncleaned from the previous occupant. This necessitated yet another march back to the front desk. Upon being told of the situation, the desk manager said "Are you sure?" -- not "I'm sorry," not "Let me fix this for you," and not anything remotely apologetic, but rather "Are you sure?" Are you freaking kidding me, pal? I think the unmade bed and trash in the room would have been a dead give away! At no point did he ever apologize for sending us into a filthy room.

We got another room, which was ALMOST clean. Dirty washcloths were still hung over the shower curtain bar. Clearly, the hotel's cleaning staff just simply doesn't care about doing a good job, and the management just doesn't care enough to make sure that the rooms are completely clean before renting the rooms out to others. Having absolutely no interest in hauling my luggage back to the front desk for a THIRD time, I pitched the dirty washcloths out the front door of my room.

In addition to lousy customer service, the internet is shoddy, the cable is full of static, they charge a $3.00 "utility fee" for the honor of using electricity (disguised as an "occupancy tax" on the Quality Suites website), and they do not serve the complimentary continental breakfast that is an advertised feature of all Quality Inns and Suites. (How they get away with that remains a mystery to me.) Instead, you can buy food from an outfit that leases space from the motel. Sorry -- if I'm paying extra for breakfast, it sure isn't going to be here!

While we were only staying for a single night (which was probably the only bright spot of this entire experience), travelers who wish to stay longer should also note that the "suite," complete with a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and range, contains absolutely none of the dishes, cookware, or utensils necessary to utilize the them. The supply of cooking equipment on hand is limited to a single roll of paper towels. Without dishes, pots, or pans, what's the point of the range and dishwasher, anyway?

So, in short, stay ANYWHERE but this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Tammy7318
Reviewed March 13, 2010

We are a family of five and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The pool is great and the beds are comfortable. However, the entire time we were there, we never had hot water for a shower. We alerted the front desk and they did nothing. We asked for a blanket for our baby, as she was sleeping in a pack-in-play, and they never brought it. We asked for it the next morning and they brought it later on that evening.

The breakfast is OK, but they close down at 9AM sharp, and there are signs everywhere stating "do not take any food outside of this room!"

The kitchens in the units have completely bare cupboards. No eating utensils, plates, cups, nada, even though there is a stove and dishwasher?

We had only booked 2 nights and needed to stay a third. We called the front desk to ask for another night and they stated they had nothing availalbe. We went online and were able to purchase another night. We called the front desk to confirm and ask if we could stay in the same room. They would not oblige us, and said we had to be out the next morning to switch to another room. The new room was a handicap room and did not have a bathtub, so our kids couldn't take much needed baths. Not that it would've mattered, because there was never any hot water anyway.

The rooms were nice sized, nice pool, wifi was sketchy at best, customer service was poor.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jenmacattack
Reviewed October 24, 2009

My wife and I spent three nights here at a great rate ($60/night) but like another traveler we had reserved a King sized bed and were given only a double bed room-we were told they overbooked the kings. The locale was safe and convenient, the room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet was great-as previously described here plus homemade waffles! However, in three nights we could never sign onto the internet by WiFi. The signal was insufficient and the problem was never resolved. The suite was spacious, however, and the amenities like fridge and small microwave were very good to excellent. The greatest attraction was the cheap price for a clean and comfortable place to stay.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

After a LONG flight, I finally made it to the hotel. Being skeptical about the low rate I was amazed at how large the room was. It was clean and a billion times better than the last Quality Inn that I had stayed in. The staff was very accommodating and great with directions. I wasn't crazy about the location being that my work was out in Chandler, however after staying there I will DEFINITELY BE BACK. A GREAT STAY!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This motel met all our expectations except one. The room was large and clean and had all the usual amenities. There's a pool and a hot tub. Breakfast is not fancy but certainly adequate and was ready early for our flight out. We got what I consider an excellent rate on Orbitz.

The one difficulty is that some websites still show this place as having a free airport shuttle. It does not! We chose the place for it's location (not much more than 5 minutes from the airport in Phoenix) and for the free shuttle. Although it was the hotel's mistake, they steadfastly refused to either pick us up or compensate us for one-way cab fare (about $20).

In any event, if you're OK without the shuttle, this is a very nice, convenient place.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hikeandread
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We arrived in after midnight for check in, the clerk was ready and wiling to help. My reservation was for a king bed but they gave us a room with 2beds which was great for us! This property is older, but has been updated. Our room had a living room with sofabed and then the 2beds in the bedroom with a door that closed in between. The beds in the bedroom were very comfortable/sheets were nice and clean, 4pillows on each bed, we slept great! The room had a larger fridge/microwave small sink area in the living room and 2tv's. The bathroom was redone in granite and it was very nice looking, the water pressure was great and had HOT water every shower! We did not use the pool but everyday we saw people in it and they were having fun! The breakfast was minimal, bagels/toast, 2types of cereal (raisin bran & fruit loops), hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, apples, donuts or pastry, assorted cheese cubes,orange juice (very good not watered down) and another juice which I did not try. They did offer cream cheese, jelly, honey, butter for the bread/bagels. I would have like some more fruit offerings besides apples, but overall it was a decent breakfast and filling enough! We paid $67.50 p/night, very reasonable for the accomodations and we would stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family