“Plan ahead for access to your room!”

Ramada Tempe Near ASU
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel was OK, clean enough and staff was friendly overall. But the room keys did not work well! We always had difficulty getting into our rooms even after we requested new key cards. The staff was nice enough to offer various "tips" for getting the keys to work, "pull the door toward you alittle, try putting the key in faster or slower". But none of these tips worked consistently. Several guests appeared to be having the same problem. Breakfast cost $3.50 per day for the same breakfast of plain scrambled eggs, little sausages and the usual array of breads and cereals you'd get with a free breakfast. Orange juice was really Tang. Housekeeping was adequate except that they did not consistenly clean the coffee pots and change the bag for ice. Not sure I'd repeat a stay here, but it was an inexpensive place to stay on the free trolley line. Took about 40 minutes on the trolley to get to Old Town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Where to begin. I travel a lot. This should be removed from Choice Hotels/Choice Privileges.
Wifi is non existent. Housekeeping non existent. Breakfast free everywhere else is an expense here for what is a continental breakfast (ripoff). Go to the Waffle House or Sunny's Diner. The shower curtain is bathing with you literally in the tub with you collecting mold. Nasty !
If you eat there the selection is buffet Indian food GROSS !
Needless to say I will never return here.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jay36
Reviewed March 12, 2013

THIS IS A PRE PAY HOTEL!!! This was not listed anywhere when we booked, so buyer beware! If you have any issues, too bad, they already have your money.

Centrally located, older hotel, but clean, carpet was OK, had one section of stain, not a big deal. Small pool and hot tub, fully wheel chair accessible if you need it. Good shower pressure, and a comfortable bed. The lamp shade in the living room was burnt almost 360 degrees around. One of the lamps in the bedroom did not work. and the garbage truck woke us up at 4:30 am 4 out of 5 days. The place was quiet except the garbage truck.

Has laundry facilities, and BBQs for the use of the hotel patrons.

I would have given it a better review except for the 6 dollar per night hidden fee. One fee was a 3 dollar occupancy tax. I would like to know what you think I am doing if not occupying the room and the second was a 3 dollar safe fee. I didn't want or need a safe, so to me this was a nickle and dime deal. For the petty costs they are charging I would have expected a better lamp shade. And does room service not even care enough to maybe say Umm, I should get this replaced? Breakfast was not free like the site said when we booked either.

I said average for room service and the restaurant as I never used them.

Staff was friendly, yes, but this hotel was way over priced. I may have felt better if it was not for the extra 30 bucks I was charged, that I had not accounted for. The manager was less than apolgetic for the extra costs. And it was not like I could have just walked away. Everywhere was booked.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We arrived at the Quality Suites near Olld Town, Scottsdale, AZ, and planned to stay two nights. However, as soon as we saw the dumpy, otdated room, I indicated to the clerk that we would be staying only for one night (only because we had paid)! Mistake! Mistake! (Even though we had paid, we should have left!!) Lo & behold - I scratched all night. The next day, red blotches appeared on my face and body. I hesitated going to the hospital thinking these would disappear. However, the next day, I did go to the emergency ward. I was told that these blotches are probably the result of insect bites. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and cream and have been taking these since (for the past 6 days). My face looks disfigured!
I am really quite angry about this! I have been in contact with the hotel and have been reimbursed for my stay. I don't believe this should be part of the Quality chain and have contacted choicehotels.

Room Tip: My tip is to not pay in advance. Check out the place first. (Do not stay in room 121.)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roamingprofessor
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Extended Stay but no dishes? Internet never worked the entire time we were there. Front desk not accommodating. Said they were dog friendly but they aren't. Room old and tired. Breakfast was $3.50 and staff member was asleep at a table. Need I say more? We checked out after one night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DianeRatings
Reviewed February 20, 2013

this hotel is NOT near old town. it is a 45 minute- hour walk into old town. there is a bus stop right by the hotel and it's only 3.50 for a day pass, which you can get from the neighbouring grocery store. bus ride is only a 10 minute ride into old town. go to Los Olivos restaurant on 2nd. BEST FOOD EVER!!!!

hotel breakfast is NOT worth the $3.50. go to dunkin donuts right next door. much better.

wouldn't walk around at night unless my husband was with me. the hotel offers extended stay for people who can not afford rent, so some clientele is questionable.

because we pre paid for the hotel for a week thru orbits, we were NOT on the daily room cleaning for some reason. we had to repeatedly ask for more towels and cups.

neighbouring rooms were quiet. no problem with noise.

bed was comfy and room was clean upon arrival. shower was awesome!! great spray!!!

the pool is nice but you have to get your chair early because it gets busy by 10-11.

we would probably not stay here again, not because of the service or the hotel per se but because it's far from old town where we like to hang out.

will book thru orbitz tho. they were FANTASTIC!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myhusbandiselvis
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here in October 2012 for about a month and it was nice. Housekeeping was efficient and the rooms were nice. They also had a weekly rate for extended stays which was nice. The BBQ grills were all broken but that isn't a horrible issue. in December, they added Suburban Extended Stay to part of the hotel. I just stayed there again on Jan 25th and was there for 3 weeks. They did not allow me to stay in the Suburban side, because I have cats. I was told that the Suburban side was NOT pet-friendly. I counted 3 rooms where they had dogs on the Suburban side, so when I inquired I was told that guests sneak the dogs in and when they find out they just charge for the animal. Then I asked the manager, Misty, why I was seeing so many dogs in the Suburban side and she replied that "these rooms aren't in our system as Suburban so they get to have the pets" I asked for one of those rooms, only to be told they were sold out.
Housekeeping is DEPLORABLE!! They don't start until after 10AM and over the 3 weeks I stayed there, I received service a total of 8 days without begging for it. I had to call almost everyday and ask if I was going to get service and most of those days I didn't get it and had to chase down my own towels and linens. None of the housekeepers speak English and that makes it hard for them to understand you when you ask them for something.
The room we stayed in had tears in the couch fabric, holes in the floor and the comforter had burns holes in it. The wi-fi disconnects every 3 hours or so. On a positive note, the rooms are spacious, having a LR separate from the bedroom which is nice if you have children. The mattresses are way to soft which is not good when you have back problems.
Whoever bought this hotel in December should be ashamed of themselves for letting the place slip the way it did. Quality hotel that is now anything BUT. Don't waste your money here!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family