“No Free Breakfast, Poor $4.99 Breakfast, Smell in Rooms”

Ramada Tempe Near ASU
Ranked #44 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Washington, DC
“No Free Breakfast, Poor $4.99 Breakfast, Smell in Rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

As a Platinum Choice Privileges customer this was my first disappointment at this type of property. Our group had two rooms - one smelled. We were asked to check out the only other room which was available and it smelled worse. These were non-smoking rooms but they smelled like people had smoked in the living room. While making reservations, I had not noted the absence of free breakfast since I had been so used to having at least a continental breakfast as a standard offering. Luckily I ate an excellent breakfast at the diner opposite the hotel. Others in my party tried the $4.99 breakfast and it was a horrible continental breakfast. In the middle of the night we were awakened by a horrendous fight in the room next door - a man and a woman were screaming at the top of their voices. Their friends called the police and tried to restrain them but they still ended up throwing some things around and breaking a window.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms near the pool area if you wish to avoid noise and smoke.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rimjhim1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Stayed for a week and everything was good except breakfast except breakfast which was mostly
just ok. But the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Let me begin by stating I have stayed in many hotels as I travel frequently with work. Never have I been to the emergency room because of one until now!! Myself and two co workers decided to enjoy the hot tub for some relaxing time.little did we know that the hotel knew about a malfunction in the chemical dispensary and there was a massive amount of chlorine In the spa. We went in about 8:30 and my daughter came to visit about 9:30. We would sit in it for a bit and then just had our legs hanging in and out and we also jumped to the pool every once in awhile. The next morning I woke up in agony with red tight skin from the bottom of my legs to my bottom. I had blisters. My daughter and I both went to the emergency room and she was treated with firest degree chemical burns and myself with second degree chemical burns. After reporting this to the manager first thing in the morning after we woke up, Misty said, "What do you want me to do?". Wow. I was shocked. Even after showing her my bleached out swim suits!! She said to file an incident report with corporate. That was all!! No concern at all and was very rude! Another couple who had been down there was Also in the lobby. I asked him and he had the same effect. After the entire morning in the er and the afternoon filling the prescriptions I returned to fax corporate my paperwork I stopped by the local pool supply and purchased testing strips! They were off the charts. The chlorine level was so high it wouldn't read it. Above level 10! I showed them to Misty the manager and told her the spa should have been completely closed off so know one else can get hurt. She said maintenance was out to fix it and it was fine!! So I rechecked the levels and it was a lie. So just fore warning!! Customer service was extremely poor and they showed no concern for anyone of us who was injured because of their neglect! Not too mention the bad condition of the room.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank 2HotnSaff
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

I am a regular visitor to all brands of Choice Hotels with a current Choice Privileges Status of Diamond. Although I am usually quite happy to recommend all hotels in the chain, I am quite disappointed with my recent stay at the Quality Suites near Old Town Scottsdale (AZ097). There were several issues, but the most important is that the Services/Amenities were not at all what are listed on the Choice Hotels.com reservation site. The room I booked was supposed to have a kitchen, but all it had was the typical microwave and refrigerator. Since I had requested an accessible room and the site said that it was the only one remaining I couldn’t ask to move to another room, but I do think that putting the small sink in the living room area does not make it a kitchen.
There were other problems with the room including a broken shower head and a leak from the hot water faucet in the shower that could produce scalding. The windows did not open or close properly either. This room should be taken out of service until repairs are made and should never be advertized as having a kitchen.
I was also disappointed to discover that the listing showing a restaurant was also false. All the hotel had was a very limited continental breakfast for which I was expected to pay more than $5.00. No other Choice Hotel I have ever been in charges for the continental breakfast. Such charges do not qualify as making the breakfast area into a restaurant. I saw several other guests walking away in disgust when they realized they were expected to pay for a rather ordinary breakfast.
Finally, I am offended that this hotel tried to charge me $3.00 a day for the safe they had hidden in the closet. I never use such a safe and do not think adding $9.00 to my bill for 3 days of a safe I didn’t need is a reputable way of doing business. I was already charged for that safe on my credit card but I insisted that the charge be removed so I will be watching closely to see if it comes off my bill.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rbgrcatraveler
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

My wife and I and our 13 year old son stayed at Quality Suites Tempe last night. Upon checking in at 5p.m. a room with a king bed (plus a sofa bed) wasn't available yet, so the very nice gentleman at the front desk upgraded our room to a suite with 2 queen beds, a sofa sleeper, and a kitchenette, for the same price. When my son had to use the rest room, he flushed the toilet and water sprayed everhwhere and flooded the bathroom floor. The little plastic piece that goes from the fill tube to the overflow tube was broken off. I called maintenence and a guy was at our room and had it fixed within 5 minutes! This motel exceeded my expectations, and was very convenient - only 2 miles from Monti's Steak House, where we were hosting an event. The beds were very comfortable and there are two very efficient a/c units - one in the living room and the other in the bedroom. There is also a very nice heated pool and jacuzzi. No breakfast in the morning, which would have been nice, but free coffee in the lobby 24 hours, and in the rooms. I know that elevators are not required in buildings with less than 3 levels, however this motel does have three levels. I don't know the law and I'm not going to act like I do. It would definitely be more convenient if there was an elevator. Overall, I highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: No elevator so choose wisely.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MM72
Cranbrook, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

I spent a week at this hotel. Bryce Olson greeted me when i arrived. Due to flight delays I was almost 6 hours behind and a ittle frazzled, but he was so very delightful and welcoming that he turned my frown upside down.
I had a suite, the price sure was right. Kitchenettes do not come with any cooking supplies but are rentable for $20 for the duration of your stay. Missy, the Front Desk Manager was very helpful in giving me some plastic cutlery, bowls, plates etc. so that I didn't have to. There was a 2-burner stove, a large microwave, a large fridge, and of course a coffee maker.
Food City is practically next door, so I picked up a few things to make sandwiches and microwave eggs, Food City also had a fairly extensive hot counter available for take-out.

The big downer of this place is that breakfast is not included!! Part of the reason that I like to stay at Choice Hotel chains is so that I can have breakfast without a fuss in the morning. They do have a breakfast for $5, but it was mostly carbs which didn't appeal to me. I went to the Food City and bought some fresh fruit to put in my fridge so that I wouldn't have to get dressed and go out in search of food in the mornings. I really do think that the owner should re-think the breakfast thing,

The pool and hot tub are in the courtyard, sun shines on it mid-day. Both are very nice. There are seldom pool towels there, but front desk will give you one. Sadly, they close the pool and hot tub at 10pm, it would have been nice for me if it was open until at least 11pm.

There is a free "blue" shuttle stop close by which will take you up to Old Town Scottsdale which is a lovely area with lots of galleries, a few restaurants and cafes.

There is a Starbucks very near by the Quality Suites, and a sports pub (Philly's) also right across the street.

It does get fairly noisy at the hotel on the weekends.
The bedrooms are very bright, white shutters only, so if you don't want to be woken up at the crack of dawn you should bring a sleep mask.
Most of the rooms include some type of stairs. I requested to have my room changed to a ground level upon check-in and I was accomodated. it still included slogging my luggage down some stairs and back up again.
The fitness facility is good, but right off of the front desk and visible to everyone coming in. I didn't use it for this reason, too public.

The housekeepers were all very friendly and helpful.
WiFi was free and of good quality,
There are several barbecues available for guest usage, as well as tables and chairs outside.
The University area is close by car, as is the airport and Old Town., Glendale is a bit of a drive, but the highways are very good and easy to navigate from the Quality Suites,
There is a 24-hour quick mart right beside the property.

I would stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the courtyard pool and hot tub.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dawn B
Oakland, CA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

We were looking for low cost, and found the Quality Suites provided great value. but this experience was much better than expected. the room included a fridge, 2-burner cooktop, microwave and sink. the furnishings were a tad threadbare, but clean and completely adequate. Plenty of linens, towels and amenities, and a great location, with walkable restaurants and services, as well as easy freeway access.

Even better -- i forgot my electric tooth brush. Called the next day and Misty told me she would call back. she did -- the toothbrush was found, and they are sending it home. thanks!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family