“An Older Hotel, But Great Value For The Money!”

Ramada Tempe Near ASU
Ranked #46 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Tucson
“An Older Hotel, But Great Value For The Money!”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

If you can accept the fact that this is an older hotel, you can have an enjoyable stay here at a great price. The rooms are actually full suites, with a front room, bedroom, bathroom, and walk-in closet. There is a full kitchen area, with sink, cooktop, refrigerator/freezer, microwave - even a dishwasher and garbage disposal! There are 2 separate air-conditioning units - one in the front room and one in the bedroom. Many things have been upgraded... the bathtubs have granite surrounds, and the bathroom sinks are new, with granite countertops. The pool and hot tub appear brand new. There are outdoor park-like sitting areas with Bar-B-Q grills. The staff is very friendly and accomodating to us and our cat when we come here to get away for the weekend. There are a few downsides... there are no elevators, and breakfast is not included; however, there is a large convenience store next door, and you can ask for a room on the first floor if you can't climb stairs. The location is convenient, and this is one of the best hotel values in the Phoenix area when you consider what you get for what you pay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We will never stay here again. The room was dirty, had a broken shower head, broken sink trap, patches on the wall that had never been painted. The hide a bed couch did not have a mattress in it so when you sat down your knees were in your face. We complained to the front office staff that did nothing. The free breakfast was NOT. This by far was the worst place we have ever experienced. There are many other choices in the area and you would be wise to use one of them.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Migliaccio
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I read some bad reviews about this hotel on here but thought maybe it would be okay anyway. Initially, it was an acceptable place to stay but not a place I would stay again because it was dirty. But then we had a terrible customer service experience on top of that and I would never recommend this hotel to even an enemy.

1. Bad customer service at the desk: We made reservations online for 4 days and on the 2nd day, we went to the front desk to change our credit card. The manager at the front desk asked if we were checking out and we said no, we were not scheduled to check out for two days. She kept telling us "This is a pre-paid hotel. If you don't pay in advance, we can't guarantee the rooms." I told her that the web site has no mention of that and the person who checked us in did not tell us that. Then she said she didn't have any rooms for us and we would have to leave. I asked what the point of a reservation was if they couldn't keep it and she continued to say several times "This is a pre-paid hotel..." At that point, we went upstairs to pack our stuff and try to find other arrangements. I was getting ready to call corporate customer service when she called and said she made a mistake and we had the room for the next two days. She was extremely rude during the experience and she was the manager.

2. General carelessness and more bad customer service at the desk: The maid left the door to our room ajar and not locked. This was a room on the main level next to one of the open exits to the parking lot (the hotel has an open-air design where the rooms open to the the outdoors). When we called down to the front desk, the personnel there said "Oh well."

3. Dirty. The hot tub and pool had slimy stuff on the tiles. There were broken beer bottles and cigarettes all over the ground by the garbage cans. Everything else including the rooms were dingy. We had a non-smoking room but it smelled like a smoking room with perfumey air freshener "covering" up the smoke smell.

4. The continental breakfast is listed as free but it costs 4.99 plus tax and it is the breakfast you get for free at equivalent hotels in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank morialou
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I want to start off by saying that the front desk staff was incredibly friendly, especially the young man that works second he was very helpful and polite even to the fairly rude man infront of me when I went to get my key re-programmed. The pool was also phenominal and the hot tub was pretty good too, though only one of the jets seemed to be working well but eitherway it was hot and the water looked clean.

The room seemed clean enough but we only recieved maid service once during our week long stay, though we did not need the bed made I would have liked fresh towles every couple of days. there were no extra pillows available and that was bothersome since the ones we had were fairly flat but that was a minor annoyance jsut worth mentioning. the other really small annoyance was that the treadmill stuck when I ran on it. Every three steps the belt would catch and I would lurch foward, not overly safe, but hte rest of the equipment, while not plentiful was useful and seemed in good order.

The biggest problem was that I was torn between staying here and another place, both of which had reviews mentioing their interent service but this one had a reply from the manager stating that they had fixed the problem. I found the interent to be excrusiatingly slow, and it was down for two days of my stay. I called the desk in hte am and they did give me a number to the help line, I was on hold for ten minutes before getting a person and then they were unable to help me.

Aside from the interent and the "king suite" being in my opinion small (and the bathroom was attached to the bedroom area ot the living area like most places have them) it was a pleasant stay. I jsut really wanted to skype with my kids and couldnt.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dejwilley_armywife
Arizona
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Our room was really a suite! What a nice surprise. Living room, large TV, desk, even a little sink next to frig/microwave. The courtyards are beautiful, nice walk to breakfast on a.m. or to the pool. I would highly recommend this hotel. More a Villa than hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I should have read all the reviews about the horribly rude service. I stay at hotels all the time for business and leisure and can easily say that this is the rudest place I have ever been to. I asked for pillows and sheets to be brought up to our room for our pull-out couch and was told by the awful front desk clerk to come down and get them. There is no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor. I told the front desk clerk I could not because it was late and I had young children that I didn't want to leave alone. She replied it's either come down and get them or not, my choice. I told her I would like it if someone came up so I could my children to bed, that we were all tired. SHe told me to come down and get them or I could leave the hotel if I couldn't follow simple directions THEN HUNG UP ON ME!!!!
I then got charged various miscellaneous charges for nothing at all, just because they wanted to put charges on my bill.

Choice Hotels had nothing to say because the hotel is independently owned and operated. I complained to hotel manager in writing and they obviously do not care since nothing has been done. STAY AWAY!!! My recommendation is too steer clear of the entire Choice Hotel chain and go with someone that will cares about their name and reputation and stands behind their image.

They've lost me as a customer for life.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
bemidji
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I can not complain about the rooms although one of the pull out beds did not work. I will say that I have never met such a rude front desk manager. We had two rooms upon check in; we asked that our families name be added onto the room they were staying in and the front desk assured us that their names would be added. The next morning they woke up early stepped outside next door to see if we were up but we were not. They did not get an answer at our door when they knocked, so went back to their room just to find out the key did not work. They went to the front desk to get it reactivated to find out that the front desk claimed it was working although it did not open the door and told them they would not give them a new key due to the fact that their name was not on the reservation. The big issue was that the front desk would not let them back into the room even though their young kids were locked in the room. They had to open the front window and crawl through the window (which did not lock) just to get back in with their kids since the front desk manger would make no exceptions. Not to mention this but also the front desk accused us of having more people in the room then what was marked down and charge us extra even though this was not the case. They also decided they want to charge for a breakfast that you can get for free at any other Quality inn. Meaning if we would have all decided to eat breakfast here it would have cost around $40. Do not stay here if you want to be treated like a real person and not someone loaded with money because they will nickle and dime you to death.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family